Thread: Classical music

  1. #276
    Member Socrates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    The Land of the Fripp
    Posts
    195
    Re the Saariaho Orchestral Works boxset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Cool! I hope you enjoy it. I just discovered Echange by Xenakis on one of those Mode label CDs. Great piece!
    The revival of the thread reminded me I never got back acknowledged what a great recommendation this was. Really great music. It is all good, but I maybe prefer the earlier works on the first two CDs.

    I think Saariaho has spent most of her active career in Paris, and the influence of composers like Tristan Murail comes through strongly. Listen for example to this Murial piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBSvCEH37Ew and compare that to the earlier Saariaho pieces.

  2. #277
    I guess these composers can be seen as members of the Spectral school. Murail, Grisey, Saariaho, Norgard. And thanks for the link. It's a great piece!

  3. #278
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,428
    Bernard Parmegiani




    WOW.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  4. #279
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,673
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Bernard Parmegiani



    WOW.
    Yeah, that kicks all sorts of ass.

  5. #280
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,767
    Anybody knows Frank Comstock ?
    Would not classify it as classical, its more like Morricone, Mantovanni, on the other hand there you are:




  6. #281
    Progga mogrooves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Past
    Posts
    1,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    string quartets.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

  7. #282
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Anybody knows Frank Comstock ?
    That Frank Comstock album is one of two -- the other being "Music for Heavenly Bodies" by the Andre Montero Orchestra -- featuring Paul Tanner and his home-built "Electro-Theremin," the Theremin-like instrument with a fretboard for more precise control of frequencies. Tanner and his Electro-Theremin were famously featured in "Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys.

  8. #283
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,675
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Bernard Parmegiani




    WOW.
    What is it that makes this Classical music?

  9. #284

    Classical music

    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What is it that makes this Classical music?
    There are multiple examples like that where the lines between classical and other types of music are blurry.

    Btw while on the topic I have been thinking quite lot of what would happen with the progressive music (rock) in the future. Will some of the compositions grow organically into classical music like status where professional musicians ensemble will interpret them (possibly different arrangements) or they mostly vanish like most of popular music of the past? We have seen already some examples of the first but it is more less a rarity.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #285
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,356
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Bernard Parmegiani


    Lots of sampling going on in there. I hear Pink Floyd's "Let There Be More Light" (0:37-) and Kraftwerk's "Ruckzuck" (1:43) among others.

  11. #286
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Btw while on the topic I have been thinking quite lot of what would happen with the progressive music (rock) in the future. Will some of the compositions grow organically into classical music like status where professional musicians ensemble will interpret them
    I believe this is essentially what has happened with "chamber rock" acoustic (and acoustic-electric) ensembles like Aranis, Present, Univers Zero, Kotelbel, The Books, Art Zoyd, and so forth.

  12. #287
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,428
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Lots of sampling going on in there. I hear Pink Floyd's "Let There Be More Light" (0:37-) and Kraftwerk's "Ruckzuck" (1:43) among others.
    Yeah, i hear Small Faces Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake in there, too.Plunderphonics before John Oswald coined the word.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  13. #288
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,675
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Yeah, i hear Small Faces Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake in there, too.Plunderphonics before John Oswald coined the word.
    It doesn't make for an enjoyable listen for me. Not very musical, IMO, and listening for sources of sampled sounds isn't really enjoyable either. Just not my thing.

  14. #289
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,767

  15. #290
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,767
    G-spot Tornado

    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 03-16-2017 at 06:15 PM.

  16. #291
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,767
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer



    Farmers Market (but they credit him):


  17. #292
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,767
    Erwin Schulhoff: Concerto per pianoforte e piccola orchestra op.43 (1923)



    This is adventurous !

    About E. Schulhoff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwin_Schulhoff
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 06-25-2017 at 02:47 PM.

  18. #293
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,767
    Heinrich Schütz (1585 - 1672) - Musikalische Exequien - Vox Luminis


  19. #294
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,428
    Xenakis-Percussion works.

    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  20. #295
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,767

  21. #296
    Member Socrates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    The Land of the Fripp
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Xenakis-Percussion works.

    Bought this after seeing your post, since I realised that it had a number of pieces I didn't have or only had in poor recordings. So thanks for reminding me that this existed.

    Okho for three djembes (African drums) is amazing.

  22. #297
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,673
    Great call on the Xenakis percussion works.

    Last week I realized a huge dream of mine and cranked Wagner and Mahler while driving through the Alps in Germany and Austria!

    Generally not a huge fan of Brahms, but the Liebeslieder Waltzes are worth a listen. Might be my favorite Brahms along with the Requiem.

  23. #298
    Member Rick Robson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    87


    Thanks Chalkpie to remind me of this great Brahms' Masterpiece!

    Oh yes.. I'm back! , cheerfully enjoying again my return to this site, after a long and storming times... Now finally celebrating also back the long missed freedom (spirit wise) that I always need to dip the deepest into my beloved classical music.

    And the universal accessibility of the 19th century classical is just the most appropriate re-entrance door' for me, well yes my comfort zone ...hehe . And J. Brahms I find particularly one of the most characteristical and attractives, not just for the interesting scope of external influences that I find to different extents reflected in his works, I also find them strongly academic (in the good sense) and emotional at the same time! As for his influences it's needless to say that getting inspiration from admired predecessors was a commonplace among artists and composers of the 19th century.

    The Brahms' four Symphonies still are my favourite works from him.

    Long live to the Classical Music!
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 07-30-2017 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Inclusion of 'not' : '...most chateristical and attractives, ( not ) just for the interesting...'
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

  24. #299
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post

    Thanks Chalkpie to remind me of this great Brahms' Masterpiece!

    Oh yes.. I'm back! , cheerfully enjoying again my return to this site, after a long and storming times... Now finally celebrating also back the long missed freedom (spirit wise) that I always need to dip the deepest into my beloved classical music.

    And the universal accessibility of the 19th century classical is just the most appropriate re-entrance door' for me, well yes my comfort zone ...hehe . And J. Brahms I find particularly one of the most characteristical and attractives, not just for the interesting scope of external influences that I find to different extents reflected in his works, I also find them strongly academic (in the good sense) and emotional at the same time! As for his influences it's needless to say that getting inspiration from admired predecessors was a commonplace among artists and composers of the 19th century.

    The Brahms' four Symphonies still are my favourite works from him.

    Long live to the Classical Music!
    Glad to have you back brother Rick. Brahms Requiem is always an inspiring listen for me - one of the great German masterpieces of the 19th Century. http://www.npr.org/2011/07/18/111536...brahms-requiem

    I've been entranced by this particular disc which contains 3 and 4 Quartets, The Liebeslieder Waltzes, and Neue Liebeslider Waltzes (although it seems some are missing on this particular recording). Anyway, just fantastic music....seems to be my personal discovery of the summer thus far (in classical). I can't post an image but its The Latvian Radio Choir/Sigvards Klava (on the Ondine Label).

  25. #300
    Just saw on the Faust List that Ana-Maria Avram fellow spectralist composer and wife or partner of Iancu Dumitrescu, died after a stroke on 1 August - awful she was only 55.



    Last edited by jake; 08-06-2017 at 02:13 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •