Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Klaus Schulze : X

FEATURED CD - Klaus Schulze : X

Per Allmusic:
    Each track on X or "Ten" (since it's Schulze's tenth release ) is titled after famous German personalities, but it's the provocative electronic music within the names that makes this one of his best albums. On this two-CD set, Schulze's sequencer is joined by electric guitar and drums, that pleasingly brings an earthy, simplistic feel into his pastiches. Still captivating and alluring with his multi- keyboard entourage, the tracks each exhibit a personality all their own. "Friedrich Nietzsche" is the most vibrant of all six, harboring a complex but attractive aura. The 24 minutes of this synthesized voyage involve imaginative sculpturing using both the Moog and Mellotron. Extreme washes of sturdy tones and pulses make up this wonderfully crafted track, one of Schulze's best. In the same manner, the rest of the album is pure electronic bombardment. With 12 different types of sequencers and synthesizers molded, merged, and fused together, the musical landscape created is overwhelming. On both the 29-minute "Ludwig II Von Bayern" and the equally lengthy "Heinrich Von Kleist," a foreign atmosphere is bred through the multitude of variable electronics, both of the guitar and keyboard type. As each track begins to take shape, the music is dissected and laid out, but not before it forms lasting images and intricately conveys mood. A true pioneer at his craft, Schulze's X is one of the more definitive albums of his career, since it's length and instrumental combinations make for a multifaceted electronic piece.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/x-mw0000083708

Regards,

Duncan

His last great album...IMO.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

For me it's his masterpiece!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    This is probably my favorite by Klaus amongst a number of strong albums in this era.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Suspended
    I prefer Klaus Schulze to both Ed Sheeran and Chris Brown, and even to INXS.

Possibly the greatest B movie soundtrack album ever!

I had about 3 of his albums years ago and they never clicked with me.

Have you heard Timewind?

I have Irrlicht and Moondawn on CD and definitely prefer the pieces that have a beat. There's a ton of Schulze on Spotify and after listening to X it seems to be the strongest of the three I've heard.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Have you heard Timewind?
    That's actually one of the albums I had and playing it one day my wife begged me to turn it off.

This is a wonderful album to relax to late at night. Ethereal yet still very interesting. Top drawer stuff and a frequent go-to recording.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    A great album - IMO he's done many other great ones since then. I happen to be listening to his brand new one right now - another live one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    That's actually one of the albums I had and playing it one day my wife begged me to turn it off.
    See, I don't understand what the deal with women and EM is. I can understand it if you were playing something like Stockhausen's Mikrophonie pieces or David Torn, and your wife freaked. But I'm always hearing from married guys about how their wives have forbidden them from playing Tangerine Dream or Klaus Schulze when they're at home. (shrug) Then again, if I understood women (or men for that matter), I wouldn't be single right now.

So if a cute guy was interested?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

This and Cyborg are KS's masterpieces IMO - and well-nigh the pinnacle of synth-prog.

Brilliant, life-changing, life-enhancing music.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

This is one of the most epic EM albums of all-time.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    See, I don't understand what the deal with women and EM is. I can understand it if you were playing something like Stockhausen's Mikrophonie pieces or David Torn, and your wife freaked. But I'm always hearing from married guys about how their wives have forbidden them from playing Tangerine Dream or Klaus Schulze when they're at home. (shrug) Then again, if I understood women (or men for that matter), I wouldn't be single right now.
    Try being a gay man and liking progressive rock. Talk about a minority within a minority.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    This is a wonderful album to relax to late at night. Ethereal yet still very interesting. Top drawer stuff and a frequent go-to recording.
    My feelings exactly.

Probably my favorite of his works.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

for me this is his best one
    the mixture of that typical cosmic synth with dark classical influences here is unique
    adding the strings orchestra and the cello was such a great move
    too bad he never followed this path

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Perhaps they feel it's boring?

Recovering KS fanboy here. If I had to pick 5 KS albums out of my collection, they would be: Timewind, Moondawn, X, Cyborg, & Irrlicht. All the rest I wouldn't miss.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

X
    Timewind
    Mirage
    Body Love
    Picture Music
    Ian

Women have no problem with electronic music you can dance to, electronic trance, for example.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

This has one of my favourite KS tracks of all time in "Ludwig II von Bayern" -- that main theme that starts at 1:21-2:50 is just sublime. I'm sure I've accidentally jammed it into one of my many lengthy noodling sessions. Actually, that settles it. I need to cover this.

And that "round" that starts about 4:40...just superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    Women have no problem with electronic music you can dance to, electronic trance, for example.
    I don't have problems with Jean Michel Jarre as well. Alas TD often sounds a bit boring to me. I should like Zeit, because Joachim von Grumbkow is on it, but I don't.