Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Boomers Cleaning Up After Parents Thread - "But Someone Could Use That!"

^ I might have an interest in some of the SAm Prog.

I lost my Dad last Monday (the 20th), after a long, drawn-out hospital stay. He had cancer, and it was really tough to watch him in the pain he was in. I'm glad he is a peace now, but man, it leaves a void. Life sure looks different when you lose your second parent. Going through his things was immensely sad and difficult.

I listened to La Villa Strangiato in his honour. He didn't like Rush. But it was a piece of music I tried so many times to get him to like when I was a teenager, because one of the subsections was titled Danforth And Pape, which is the exact neighbourhood my Dad grew up in, from childhood until marriage. So he found that quite intriguing that they would name a piece of music after his old stomping grounds in East York. But then the music would get heavy and that would be the end of his intrigue. Maybe he'll like that music now, wherever he is.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Lorne, please accept my sincerest condolences. I know how tough it is to lose your parents.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

^ Yes, sincere sympathies, Progatron.

Condolences to you and family.

My deepest condolences Progatron.
    Lost my dad last Dezember and I still miss him. He was the last remaining parent.
    The weirdest things bring back memories.

Thanks all. These are the moments in our lives that we find ways to learn to live with. It isn't easy, but we do what we can.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

My deepest condolences on your loss.

I had no idea that Danforth and Pape was a street address.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My deepest condolences on your loss.

I had no idea that Danforth and Pape was a street address.
    Thank you. Yes, the Danforth is a major street in Toronto that is well known for its Greek restaurants and its annual street festival among many other things. And my Dad grew up just off Pape Avenue, a couple of blocks north of the intersection of the two. I've always wondered why Alex chose that title. I've read that each section of La Villa is named for a different nightmare he had.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I lost my Dad last Monday (the 20th), after a long, drawn-out hospital stay. He had cancer, and it was really tough to watch him in the pain he was in. I'm glad he is a peace now, but man, it leaves a void. Life sure looks different when you lose your second parent. Going through his things was immensely sad and difficult.

I listened to La Villa Strangiato in his honour. He didn't like Rush. But it was a piece of music I tried so many times to get him to like when I was a teenager, because one of the subsections was titled Danforth And Pape, which is the exact neighbourhood my Dad grew up in, from childhood until marriage. So he found that quite intriguing that they would name a piece of music after his old stomping grounds in East York. But then the music would get heavy and that would be the end of his intrigue. Maybe he'll like that music now, wherever he is.
    Very sorry for your loss. I lost my dad a few years ago and it is no fun to go through.

My condolences, Lorne. May he and you find peace.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Sincere condolences to you and your family, Lorne.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

I remember explaining to my Dad how Rush had the Fear trilogy, which was delivered in reverse numerical order. He was nice and sounded pretty intrigued. It's definitely difficult losing your second parent, but you'll be ok. Do you have any siblings?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I remember explaining to my Dad how Rush had the Fear trilogy, which was delivered in reverse numerical order. He was nice and sounded pretty intrigued. It's definitely difficult losing your second parent, but you'll be ok. Do you have any siblings?
    I have a (much) older brother. We had a sister who was killed in a car accident two years ago.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I have a (much) older brother. We had a sister who was killed in a car accident two years ago.
    Ah, that adds another layer, I'm sure. Sorry to hear about that as well.