Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314
Results 326 to 340 of 340

Thread: Boomers Cleaning Up After Parents Thread - "But Someone Could Use That!"

  1. #326
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    10,477
    ^ I might have an interest in some of the SAm Prog.

  2. #327
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,394
    I lost my Dad last Monday (the 20th), after a long, drawn-out hospital stay. He had cancer, and it was really tough to watch him in the pain he was in. I'm glad he is a peace now, but man, it leaves a void. Life sure looks different when you lose your second parent. Going through his things was immensely sad and difficult.

    I listened to La Villa Strangiato in his honour. He didn't like Rush. But it was a piece of music I tried so many times to get him to like when I was a teenager, because one of the subsections was titled Danforth And Pape, which is the exact neighbourhood my Dad grew up in, from childhood until marriage. So he found that quite intriguing that they would name a piece of music after his old stomping grounds in East York. But then the music would get heavy and that would be the end of his intrigue. Maybe he'll like that music now, wherever he is.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

    'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

  3. #328
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    17,168
    Lorne, please accept my sincerest condolences. I know how tough it is to lose your parents.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  4. #329
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    10,477
    ^ Yes, sincere sympathies, Progatron.

  5. #330
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    6,274
    Condolences to you and family.

  6. #331
    My deepest condolences Progatron.
    Lost my dad last Dezember and I still miss him. He was the last remaining parent.
    The weirdest things bring back memories.

  7. #332
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,394
    Thanks all. These are the moments in our lives that we find ways to learn to live with. It isn't easy, but we do what we can.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

    'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

  8. #333
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    5,537
    My deepest condolences on your loss.

    I had no idea that Danforth and Pape was a street address.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  9. #334
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My deepest condolences on your loss.

    I had no idea that Danforth and Pape was a street address.
    Thank you. Yes, the Danforth is a major street in Toronto that is well known for its Greek restaurants and its annual street festival among many other things. And my Dad grew up just off Pape Avenue, a couple of blocks north of the intersection of the two. I've always wondered why Alex chose that title. I've read that each section of La Villa is named for a different nightmare he had.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

    'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

  10. #335
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    6,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I lost my Dad last Monday (the 20th), after a long, drawn-out hospital stay. He had cancer, and it was really tough to watch him in the pain he was in. I'm glad he is a peace now, but man, it leaves a void. Life sure looks different when you lose your second parent. Going through his things was immensely sad and difficult.

    I listened to La Villa Strangiato in his honour. He didn't like Rush. But it was a piece of music I tried so many times to get him to like when I was a teenager, because one of the subsections was titled Danforth And Pape, which is the exact neighbourhood my Dad grew up in, from childhood until marriage. So he found that quite intriguing that they would name a piece of music after his old stomping grounds in East York. But then the music would get heavy and that would be the end of his intrigue. Maybe he'll like that music now, wherever he is.
    Very sorry for your loss. I lost my dad a few years ago and it is no fun to go through.

  11. #336
    My condolences, Lorne. May he and you find peace.
    If a bird can speak, who once was a dinosaur,
    and a dog can dream
    should it be impossible
    that a man might supervise the construction of light?

  12. #337
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    5,411
    Sincere condolences to you and your family, Lorne.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  13. #338
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    13,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I lost my Dad last Monday (the 20th), after a long, drawn-out hospital stay. He had cancer, and it was really tough to watch him in the pain he was in. I'm glad he is a peace now, but man, it leaves a void. Life sure looks different when you lose your second parent. Going through his things was immensely sad and difficult.

    I listened to La Villa Strangiato in his honour. He didn't like Rush. But it was a piece of music I tried so many times to get him to like when I was a teenager, because one of the subsections was titled Danforth And Pape, which is the exact neighbourhood my Dad grew up in, from childhood until marriage. So he found that quite intriguing that they would name a piece of music after his old stomping grounds in East York. But then the music would get heavy and that would be the end of his intrigue. Maybe he'll like that music now, wherever he is.
    I remember explaining to my Dad how Rush had the Fear trilogy, which was delivered in reverse numerical order. He was nice and sounded pretty intrigued. It's definitely difficult losing your second parent, but you'll be ok. Do you have any siblings?
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

  14. #339
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,394
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I remember explaining to my Dad how Rush had the Fear trilogy, which was delivered in reverse numerical order. He was nice and sounded pretty intrigued. It's definitely difficult losing your second parent, but you'll be ok. Do you have any siblings?
    I have a (much) older brother. We had a sister who was killed in a car accident two years ago.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

    'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

  15. #340
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    13,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I have a (much) older brother. We had a sister who was killed in a car accident two years ago.
    Ah, that adds another layer, I'm sure. Sorry to hear about that as well.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •