Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Boomers Cleaning Up After Parents Thread - "But Someone Could Use That!"

Well today things seemed to be a bit better with my dad. He was out of bed and he mostly understood what I told him. Alas speaking gives problems. He searches for words and than stops talking. But well, he has to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    They had to take those ashes back and get the right ones.
    That's unforgivable laxness.

But, if you step back a few miles and reconsider it, ashes are ashes. What's in the urn is no longer your mother. One person's ashes look a lot like another person's ashes, and unless you're religious the "mortal remains" are just a box of ashes. It really doesn't matter who's in the urn. It's the rituals you perform around the ashes -- not the ashes themselves -- that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Well today things seemed to be a bit better with my dad. He was out of bed and he mostly understood what I told him. Alas speaking gives problems. He searches for words and than stops talking. But well, he has to practice.
    Exactly. He has a long recovery ahead of him, and you can do a lot to help him along.

If you're strong enough to make a joke about it, tell him it's your vacation together that you missed this year.

That's what happened with my mother with the dementia. She would start to say something and then the sentence would just stop.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Exactly. He has a long recovery ahead of him, and you can do a lot to help him along.

If you're strong enough to make a joke about it, tell him it's your vacation together that you missed this year.
    I try to do the best I can. Vacations together will be something that will not happen anyday soon. We had talked about past vacations very often, like the vacations that were best. My dad remembers fondly the vacation in Wernigerode (a town in Germany) where we had a travel with a steamtrain and I took a lot of pictures of steamtrains, because it was close to our hotel.

Today I really got some good news. My dad is talking again. I could have some conversation with him. At some point he had some problems, but at least things seem to be improving a bit faster than I thought. He has to go to a rehabilitationclinic, which they will try to get done quickly. So there is hope.

Good news, Renate. Keep your chin up.

That's good to hear.

Great news, Renate!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yay! Maybe the ischemic stroke didn’t do as much damage as initially feared.

... so I considered a stroke and called an ambulance.
    You probably saved his life.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    You probably saved his life.
    I've experienced it several times before, so I knew what to do. This time things were a bit worse. Other times his speaking came back after some time. Now it took several days and it is still not completely recovered.

Just got some good news from the hospital. On Thursday he will be transfered to a rehabilitation clinic, which is also a bit closer to my home, at least easier to get to with public transport. He has been there before, but that was in the summer of 2013, which makes a difference, be cause we could sit outside and have a walk. Not something to do with the current weather. It is not really winter, but the weather isn't nice, temperatures around 50 degrees F, windy, sometimes rain, so more late autumn.

So glad things are going well for your dad!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I'm glad as well. My dad is looking forward to the rehablitation clinic. He seems to forget last time he was there, it was summer and nice weather. And even then was was glad when he finally got to return home.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 02-05-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Things are really weird. Today I got the news a neighbour has died from a brainhemorage, aged 72. And my dad at 91 is again getting better.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 02-05-2020 at 04:32 PM.

^^ Hemorrhagic strokes have always been far more serious and debilitating than ischemic ones. When Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon suffered a mild ischemic stroke, doctors put him on clot busters and blood thinners to clear the ischemia. That triggered a massive hemorrhagic stroke, which permanently disabled and eventually killed him.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ Hemorrhagic strokes have always been far more serious and debilitating than ischemic ones. When Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon suffered a mild ischemic stroke, doctors put him on clot busters and blood thinners to clear the ischemia. That triggered a massive hemorrhagic stroke, which permanently disabled and eventually killed him.
    My mom died from a brainhemorrhage as well, so I have experienced it. If it starts bleeding, there is not much one can do about it. With my mother the bleeding stopped when she went in a coma, but when she got out of that, the bleeding started again and it killed her.

My dad is lucky, never much real damage. Everytime things get better. Hope he will live as long as Kirk Douglas.

My dad will return home coming Wednesday, which is almost a week earlier than expected. He will get therapy when he has returned home.
    I hope things will return to normal when he is home. I get the impression he is functioning like he was before I had to call 911. But that is in de clinic, which is different. My dad is glad he can return home, because he didn't like it in the clinic. He even wanted to return home with public transport, which I think is not really a good idea, so I arranged a neighbour to drive us home.

^ Best wishes, Renate. Hope it goes well for you and your Dad.

The state we live in is spiking again for COVID so we're locking down. Time for more Swedish death cleaning - especially in our cluttered basement. My brother's family doesn't need to end up cleaning this.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/...eath-cleaning/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My youngest daughter and grandson are moving out Friday. They are tearing down and rebuilding the elementary school so she wants to live in a district with a decent school. Friday night will be the first time in 43 years of marriage that we will have nobody else living in the house with us. Now I only have to pick up after one person.

Well, on Monday the girlfriend of my departed dad turned up at my house. I have to say I don't really trust her. What had woman of my age to do with a man in his nineties?
    She wanted a nameplate with the name of her business, she had stopped, back, she had given my dad. I told her it was thrown away. If she had wanted it back, she should have come when I was cleaning out the house and not 8 months after my dad died. She also asked for a sigarholder, my dad had wanted to give her, but when he asked me, I said I wanted it myself. It is a very old piece, that had belonged to my granddad, so I didn't feel any reason why to give it to this lady. It's a beautifull object, I want to put on display, when I feel like it.

My 'rents earlier this year downsized heavily and moved into a two-br unit in an 'independent/assisted living" community. They seem happy with their choice. I, alas, was unable to zip up to Portland and claim some of the stuff they were downsizing away...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I’ve relocated a big hunk of my CD collection recently. Basically all the normal-sized CDs I bought through the early 2000’s. I’m going through it, I’m amazed at how much stuff I bought that I have little interest in now. Too much new South American Prog, and lot of other stuff that got good reviews in Progression probably. Definitely have to thin it out a lot!