Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think this is truly prog...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Hmmm... interesting - but I'll skip and wait for the musical pants to arrive.
    That reminds me of a BBC TV Tomorow's World article about Kraftwerk circa 'Autobahn', with a voice-over describing the band's new-fangled electronic instruments and their desire to eventually have suits with playable lapels. At this point Florian gives the camera his best demented grin, so I'm not sure if they were taking the piss or not.

Mick Fleetwood also had a routine with synth-drum trigger pads built into his clothes; he would get up from behind the kit and play 'himself' with his hands - rather alarming to see...

Quote Originally Posted by ProgPariah77 View Post
    I jumped on the Imogen bandwagon back when her second solo album ("Speak for Yourself") was released.
    I did too. Actually, my very first exposure to her was this live video of her performing solo (and I found it at the Allan Holdsworth discussion forum, of all things). She wasn't even playing keyboards; just a girl using her voice, hand claps and finger snaps and a couple of loopers. I was instantly intrigued!

Then when I heard the very different album version of that tune with chord progressions, orchestral sounding textures and layered vocals, I decided I had to buy the album (Just For Now).

I loved about 3/4ths of the album immediately; the other 4th took a while to click with me, but it eventually did and I found myself loving the entire album. Within it's genre (pop/electronica?), it's very diverse and demonstrates a wide variety of textures and moods. There are gems to be found on "Ellipse," "Sparks" and Frou Frou's "Details," but I still think "Just For Now" is her definitive statement so far.

No, it's not Prog as most of us think of it, but it's definitely progressive; she's the real deal!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Nice but...could we stop with the Laurie Anderson bashing? Please? Remember, she was classically-trained, too (as a violinist).
    I prefer Laurie's Sharkey's Day album to this, big time.

This is interesting, and I liked it quite a bit, but I am not hearing or seeing anything new.

I will check more Imogen's stuff now.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Laurie isn't going to be invited onstage with Jeff Beck any time soon.
    Has Jeff Beck ever invited a classically trained violinist on stage with him?
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

You guys realize that, as cool as I think Imogen's music is what I'm really talking about here is a new way of making music that gets away from traditional instruments and processes in favor of a way of controlling realtime performance that is immersive... I think the ides of getting away from making music by wiggling your fingers and using your whole body to express and trigger events is something that will become inevitable as we move towards virtual reality.

I certainly realized that, that's why I said I'd love to try a pair of those mittens. Watching it is interesting enough, actually using a set...that's where the fun is. I noticed it's, in part used with the Kinect sensor bar. It's only a matter of time before there's a more affordable version for the masses.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Off course it a different approach to create music, but cant we agree on that its a tool, the outcome is what matters?

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.
    Winston Churchill

As a consumer, sure, but some of us are music makers (and some of us wish we were music makers), so we'd be interested in the music-making part of things.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

So in this context, "progressive" is only achievable through the use of modern technology?

Where'd you get "only"?
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

I've been a big fan ever since Frou Frou. She's excellent.

4 dos ov U lucky enuff 2 have it, her new album Sparks, incl. "Me The Machine" is on Spotify.

Progressive is a useless, unhelpful word nowadays IMO because it carries way too much baggage. Experimetal is better, and there are loads of bands & individuals pushing the boundaries in the fields of Indie-Electronic and Experimental Rock.

I like her.