Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here It Comes! Jaga Jazzist Limited Edition 20th Anniversary Vinyl Box!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    The Stix.
    OK thanks. You might the first dude that I've heard even mention that album. 2002....

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Where would you Jag-heads recommend to go after One-Armed Bandit (which I really love BTW)? Is there anything on that level quality-wise? (and please don't tell me Snarky Puppy).....

My daughter loves the different album covers that you can choose - that was a clever idea!
    Jaga has always liked things to be FUN

OK thanks. You might the first dude that I've heard even mention that album. 2002....
    https://jagajazzist.bandcamp.com/album/the-stix
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'll buy it this weekend.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'll buy it this weekend.
    liked it that much??
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

liked it that much??
    Listening to it now for the first time but given how much I like the band, plus yours and Udi's recommendation it makes it a pretty much a no brainer for me. I've been planning to place a bandcamp order this weekend anyway for a bunch of stuff so this goes into the list.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I like What We Must and Britten Sinfonia next.
    The new track Prungen on Britten Sinfonia is featured as a studio-version on the new album Starfire: https://jagajazzist.bandcamp.com/album/starfire
    Last edited by interbellum; 07-10-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    The new track Pringen on Britten Sinfonia is featured as a studio-version on the new album Starfire: https://jagajazzist.bandcamp.com/album/starfire
    And demonstrates just how different the group approached the new record.

there were 2 earlier eps
    Day and Animal Chin that I bought after hearing Steve recommend
    need to revisit them

Day has 25' of live material from The Stix from 2004, which is why I bought it and why I still play it all the time.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

chalkpie
    What's everybody's thoughts on 'Starfire'? I listened to track one at the bandcamp site and was shocked at how different (for me at least) it sounded. But it was cool - seems electronic/synths taking the center stage more, as well as downplaying the "jazz" thang.

What's everybody's thoughts on 'Starfire'? I listened to track one at the bandcamp site and was shocked at how different (for me at least) it sounded. But it was cool - seems electronic/synths taking the center stage more, as well as downplaying the "jazz" thang.
    I love it. My first Jaga, actually. Was expecting more jazz, but was presently surprised.

I neeed time to absorb - first couple of listening seem promising but I kind of miss the hornz

Absolutely loving Starfire...my album of the year so far I think, along with Mathias Eick's Midwest (and the two albums are worlds apart stylistically). Especially enjoying the two long tracks.

I like Starfire a lot, just a bit less than One Armed Bandit, it is certainly a bit different than earlier material but I think it works.
    Ian

chalkpie
    I listened to this on my walk yesterday (spot has it). There are moments that are totally wonderful, with some beautiful cross-breeding of the analog and the electronic (and bordering on industrial) worlds. Some truly keen attention to detail - the placement of delays/reverbs gives each sound its own characteristic. I was trying to figure out if the snare drum is "real" or are they using samples in conjunction with the authentic? There was one moment where I think they were using a sampled orchestral pizzicato which sounded...I dunno, contrived, and a bit Velveeta to my ears. But for the most part the sound choices were fine and actually very nice. The non-jazz is actually a positive trait here - its nice that they are willing to let their hair down a bit and (somewhat) abandon their roots, although I have limited knowledge of their past. Mind you that was only one listen.

I listened to this on my walk yesterday (spot has it). There are moments that are totally wonderful, with some beautiful cross-breeding of the analog and the electronic (and bordering on industrial) worlds. Some truly keen attention to detail - the placement of delays/reverbs gives each sound its own characteristic. I was trying to figure out if the snare drum is "real" or are they using samples in conjunction with the authentic? There was one moment where I think they were using a sampled orchestral pizzicato which sounded...I dunno, contrived, and a bit Velveeta to my ears. But for the most part the sound choices were fine and actually very nice. The non-jazz is actually a positive trait here - its nice that they are willing to let their hair down a bit and (somewhat) abandon their roots, although I have limited knowledge of their past. Mind you that was only one listen.
    Jaga has not really ever been a conventional jazz band; until recently, there was not much improvisation, for example. What lumped them into the jazz category was and is the harmonic sophistication. But as my liners to their 20th anniversary box began, paraphrased here art the start of their bio on the ninja tune site):

For those who think they know Jaga Jazzist, the story of this Norwegian supergroup and Starfire - its fifth full-length studio album, hot on the heels of the acclaimed 20th anniversary vinyl box, '94-'14 - begins with a pop quiz:

Jaga Jazzist is:

(a) A jazz band;
    (b) A rock band;
    (c) A progressive rock band;
    (d) A hip hop group;
    (e) A rap group;
    (f) A reggae group;
    (g) A polka band;
    (h) A comedy band;
    (i) An electronica group;
    (j) A classical ensemble;
    (k) A choral ensemble;
    (l) All of the above;
    (m) None of the above.

The answer is, indeed, both (l) and (m) because across two decades Jaga has been all of these things but, at the end of the day, is really none of them. A point made all the more clear with Starfire - which, in some ways, returns to earlier roots while, at the same time, introducing new elements and, as ever, moving forward...always moving forward.
    As for the drums? They were all played by Martin...processed afterwards, but one thing about Jaga is they pretty much always use live drums as a foundation.

As for letting their hair down? Since most of them are losing it (! ), seriously, I don't think this is the case...you need to check out their earlier records and you'll see they've always bucked convention and fit into many categories without really being in any of them, including jazz.

I can see where it might bug some people, but sampled drums don't bother me in the least. Music is music ... n'at.

chalkpie
    John - thanks for the response. Like I said, I have very little exposure to this group, but this new one sounds pretty different from even One Arm Bandit for me. I do think its pretty hip (for the most part). The drums didn't really bother me - that was more of a question as they had a slightly sampled timbre to them. Good stuff.

John - thanks for the response. Like I said, I have very little exposure to this group, but this new one sounds pretty different from even One Arm Bandit for me. I do think its pretty hip (for the most part). The drums didn't really bother me - that was more of a question as they had a slightly sampled timbre to them. Good stuff.
    You're very welcome.

Yes, Starfire is very different from OAB. One of Jaga's most significant MOs is that every subsequent album must not sound like the one that came before. I think they really did this more than they ever have with Starfire....so unlike the more proggy OAB...and yet they both sound absolutely like nobody but Jaga...which is why I love the band so much....