Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knifeworld

Knifeworld

Prior to today, I never heard anything by this band, and then I saw they were mentioned in another thread. I've been listening to a bunch of their stuff online throughout the day.

Its catchy. It's complicated. It has a bassoon. Just... wow... is really all I can say! I just downloaded Clairvoyant Fortnight from emusic. I'm show more will follow - this is great stuff

And their videos are just freaking brilliant, particularly "In a Foreign Way."

Both albums are very good, as are ALL of Kavus's projects that I've heard. Go get his other stuff as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I love The Unravelling, it's up there in album of the year territory.

Kavus is touring the UK with Gong at the moment, doing Daevid proud by all accounts, as you would expect. I haven't yet committed to a ticket, just too much happening in life right now but I have hopes to get to the London gig next Friday.

Yeah, this is addictive stuff. I don't know why, but I think this video is genius.

Knifeworld rules!!! I agree that The Unravelling is an Album Of The Year contender.
    The Prog Corner

If you like what you've heard thus far, stop what you're doing right now and just go on and get them all. Trust us. We wouldn't steer you wrong.

P.S. They're all top shelf, but Clairvoyant Fortnight is my favorite Knifeworld release thus far. Those last couple of minutes of Prime of Our Decline is the stuff most bands spend a lifetime trying to achieve and never do.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Knifeworld rules!!! I agree that The Unravelling is an Album Of The Year contender.
    Yep. Same here.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah, The Unravelling is likely my album of the year. Get all Kavus' stuff it's all great.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

chalkpie
    Sir Kavus is a motherfucker and then some. Absolutely killer musician and composer. "The Unraveling" has the 'eyebrows' on it (a phrase FZ coined) - a ton of detail, passionate, extremely musical, original, etc. Go get "Buried Alone" as well and "The Garage Concerts" (Cardiacs). The Garage Concerts on its own will melt your brain its so fucking tight, but the dual guitars of Tim and Kavus is just a beautiful thing that cannot be expressed in words. Phenomenal bloke too - very knowledgeable and open-minded too. He kicks fuckin' ass. Hope to meet him in person someday - he has some pints coming his way. Do I sound like a fanboy? Tough shit, I am.

Met him at RIO last year and at a Medieval Babes gig where he was playing lute. Lovely fellow.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Do I sound like a fanboy? Tough shit, I am.

Gosh.

Thank you for such kind thoughts.
    While I wouldn't be comfortable foisting my own back catalogue on you, I would suggest if you like my stuff and think I am someone with at least *a little* semblance of taste, you may enjoy some if not all of the wonderful artists I have put out on my label, Believers Roast.

Stylistically, it's a fairly eclectic mix, ranging from electronica, classical, avant-rock, psychedelic folk blah, blah, blah.
    But to my ears there's an aesthetic, sound and approach that links all the stuff beyond mere instruments used and timbre, hence my wanting to put it out.

Here's what we've released thus far and where to order,
    http://www.thegenepool.co.uk/labels/Believers+Roast.htm

You can also get most of these at Wayside.

Thanks once again for the interest.
    Next thing...
    New Guapo album all finished and out on Cuneiform next year.

That last line is the best thing i've read in a month.

The Stars In Battledress is a wonderful album, one of my favorites of the year.
    Ian

chalkpie
    ^ Yes to Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Gosh.
    Next thing...
    That's great news. History of the Visitation is my favorite Guapo release thus far.

And I'll certainly check out more of the Believer's Roast bands once I get the rest of the Knifeworld stuff (I'll d/l The Unraveling once my emusic account refreshes next weekend)

I have been listening to Clairvoyant Fortnight almost nonstop since yesterday! It's pretty amazing stuff

~Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post

Thanks once again for the interest.
    Next thing...
    Oooh!!

Like everybody else, Yay! for new Guapo.

New Guapo should be a nation, and "Yay! for New Guapo" should be its anthem

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    New Guapo! The handsomest nation in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    And it must be in 13/8

Thanks for the laugh, btw.

I assume you know Max Tundra then, could you kick his ass and tell him to get back to work already?
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

He's one of my close pals and, you'll be pleased to hear, very much 'back at work'.
    I saw him at the Lindsey Cooper concert and he made mention of working on two albums.
    That said, his previous album, Parallax Error Beheads You took him seven years.
    It's a masterpiece, mind.

Trivia: He plays trumpet on the first Knifeworld album and on the song HMS Washout.

Right on! I just realized that it is in fact 6 years old - still very much love that album, it still feels new to me. Can only imagine how long it took to put "Orphaned" and "Which Song" together. The latter is probably my favorite song of the last decade. It's that damn good. I was getting a little worried that he was going to decide the effort wasn't worth it!
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

chalkpie
    Sir Kavus, Udester, Yehuda Cottonball - sorry for missing the show tonight - wasn't in the cards of life tonight. I hope it can be streamed later - yes I assume? Hopefully. Hope you guys spun some Janet Jackson and maybe a little "All Night Long".....I hope you didn't blow it.