Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Voivod : Nothingface

Saw them live a week ago... they still kick serious ass.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^Yeah. I saw them last year. The whole performance felt really joyous. Not at all nostalgic, like a fresh band full of energy. It really was something. Having seen them a few times, I think Away is playing far above the standard he did in the 80’s/90’s

Judging from my recent survey of their records, they seem to be getting back to more of their metal ways and eschewing the more proggy side. It's still there, but not as pronounced as the Dimesion Hatross through Outer Limits years. Still a very interesting band, though. I will see them on their next tour if the opportunity presents itself.

^ That may have been the case during the Eric Forrest years in the 90’s but, depending how you define Prog, I think the new album The Wake has some of their most ambitious compositions to date.

One of my greatest failures as a listener - maybe as a human being - was failing to appreciate Voivod at the time. Despite being completely immersed into all techno-thrash bands of the times, even bands that were openly influenced by Voivod (like German band Mekong Delta) Voivod I just couldn't get. It was the density of music, but more importantly the punky vocals or even Snake's half-shaved skull. These guys were corrupted by punk and traitors to the ideals of "true" metal.

Of course I was 14-15 years then, so maybe my stupidity is excused. But it shows that stereotypes can make one miss a lot of good music.

Between the incredible aggression of Killing Technology and the cold perfectionism of Nothingface, Dimension Hatross achieves an absolute balance of all that Voivod stands for. I wouldn't hesitate to call Dimension Hatross a masterpiece of rock music.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    ^ That may have been the case during the Eric Forrest years in the 90’s but, depending how you define Prog, I think the new album The Wake has some of their most ambitious compositions to date.
    I have to listen to The Wake a bit more. The vocals, at times, get growly, and the guitars are tuned below concert pitch. Two things I personally don't like much. I'm also comparing them to their halcyon days, which might not be fair. Regardless, this is a band that merits further listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Judging from my recent survey of their records, they seem to be getting back to more of their metal ways and eschewing the more proggy side.
    That was with Eric Forrest. Didn't like that period either.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    One of my greatest failures as a listener - maybe as a human being - was failing to appreciate Voivod at the time. Despite being completely immersed into all techno-thrash bands of the times, even bands that were openly influenced by Voivod (like German band Mekong Delta) Voivod I just couldn't get. It was the density of music, but more importantly the punky vocals or even Snake's half-shaved skull. These guys were corrupted by punk and traitors to the ideals of "true" metal.
    Blacky's...

Back in the days I did the very first greek metal 'zine "Thrash Metal". In 1986 we had one whole 30+ pages issue dedicated to VOIVOD with exclusive photos and Away's sketches plus an extensive interview where Away comments on his love for Van Der Graaf Generator and King Crimson... Great times, when everything was thrown into the same blender.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Blacky's...
    Oh, it's so long ago. Anyway, the bottom line is they were punks. They were the dark side

Meanwhile, I've been obsessively listening to Voivod the last week.

My favorite of theirs, at this point, is Angel Rat. What a record, melodicism coupled with bone crunching complexity! Can't believe I never got into 'em before.

One of my big musical regrets - even now - is not seeing Voivod at the Christmas On Earth festival in Leeds on 13th December 1987 (I was eighteen). They were supposed to be there but got stuck at customs in Belgium and didn't make it.

We did see Megadeth, Nuclear Assault, Cro-Mags and Kreator so the day wasn't entirely wasted, but I was really there for Voivod so the disappointment was bitter. Also the PA was shit for at least half the time.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Kind of been sleeping on these cats.....however currently rectifying that misstep. Basically I'm going through the entire lot. I am only familiar with Nothingface, courtesy of Sir Kavus on some list he made years back of his favorite stuff. What a band!

Dimension Haltross through Outer Limits are my favorites. I, too, didn't get into these guys until rather recently. You have to be in the mood, cause they come at you like a cyclone, but damn, can they play! It's a shame that their guitarist and main songwriter passed away at such a young age. They're still active, but some of the magic has gone.

The last three albums are great. The Wake and Synchro Anarchy, from last year, in particular. Also love me some Nothingface, Angel Rat and Outer Limits.

Saw them on the Outer Limits tour in Detroit around '93 with Damn the Machine opening. Also saw them on the latest tour in Boston in June.

OK, bye.

Dimension Haltross through Outer Limits are my favorites.
    Same. I first saw them on the Nothingface tour, headlining over Faith No More and Soundgarden and it was glorious. Although Angel Rat is a good album, at the time it was a crushing disappointment after the mind-blowing Nothingface. Terry Brown defanged them and Blackie left (returning later), because of it.

Neil

They still kick some serious ass. Here's the video from 2022's release "Synchro Anarchy".

Had Voivod opened for Rush in Rochester instead of Mr Big in 1990 (Presto Tour), that could've changed things drastically for me. I don't give a toss about Mr Big, and haven't since after seeing them, but probably would've been a Voivod fan for 30+ years now had they opened. Funny how things work out...

Saw them live about a month ago, and they still kick ass. People who have watched them live numerous times said that this was their best performance in Greece. Also very down to earth guys, who enjoyed the overt appraisal they received in our country.

Dimension Hatross is a glorious record!

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Although Angel Rat is a good album, at the time it was a crushing disappointment after the mind-blowing Nothingface. Terry Brown defanged them and Blackie left (returning later), because of it.

Neil
    I like Angel Rat a lot, but I know what you mean. Blacky said that Brown wouldn't mic his bass amp and made him go direct, which is REALLY weird considering what his bass tone is like. You can get away with that with today's technology, but back then, it just didn't work.

Their last two albums kick ass!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Yup.
    I'll get there eventually. Still hooked on Nothingface. Great stuff.

I think I've come to the conclusion that they're too good and quirky to become widely popular. Thank God there's so much great music from them and they're still at it. I tried to turn a friend on to them and he told me "they make me nervous". Hah ha! I kind of know what he means!

I tried to turn a friend on to them and he told me "they make me nervous". Hah ha! I kind of know what he means!
    Yeah, I had this kind of experience when trying to get my brother and cousin to listen to Cardiacs.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Synchro Anarchy is on my top 10 albums for 2022.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS