Thread: Marillion's Xmas albums-opinions please!

Marillion's Xmas albums-opinions please!

I know they released one a few years back called Marillion.Christmas or something. Looks like a new compilation is imminent. Anybody reccomends these in the context of 'fun xmas proggy albums' ?

Hello all,
    As you know, it has been our tradition to knock out a goofy cover of something festive and give it away to the fans at Christmas. These have been of varying taste and quality over the years, but we have always had a laugh making them. Well - this year we thought we'd bundle all the past Christmas ditties together and release a compilation CD so we, and you, have them all in one place on Christmas morning. We've added our version of "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" to the collection which, although not as goofy, is a message worth repeating at the season of goodwill to all folk.
    £1.00 from each CD sold goes to The Teenage Cancer Trust.
    So, to quote the late, great and goofy John Lennon:
    Happy Christmas, we hope you have fun, the near and the dear ones, the old and the young.

Love and pudding
    Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I know they released one a few years back called Marillion.Christmas or something. Looks like a new compilation is imminent. Anybody reccomends these in the context of 'fun xmas proggy albums' ?
    Marillion.Christmas was one of their annual fan club Christmas releases - I think there were 10 or 11 before they started issuing DVDs instead. Each one usually had one new Christmas song, along with a collection of odds and ends - demos, live tracks, remixes. This new release collects all the Christmas songs from all the releases. If you like Marillion a lot, it's worth getting. Don't get it if you're a casual fan looking for a new Marillion album. It's all fun. Some serious performances, some goofy.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Marillion.Christmas was one of their annual fan club Christmas releases - I think there were 10 or 11 before they started issuing DVDs instead. Each one usually had one new Christmas song, along with a collection of odds and ends - demos, live tracks, remixes. This new release collects all the Christmas songs from all the releases. If you like Marillion a lot, it's worth getting. Don't get it if you're a casual fan looking for a new Marillion album. It's all fun. Some serious performances, some goofy.
    Thanks. I enjoy xmas songs in an unconventional sense so it sounds like I might enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Thanks. I enjoy xmas songs in an unconventional sense so it sounds like I might enjoy it?
    If you dig Marillion and enjoy unconventional Xmas songs, this disc is for you.

An excellent summary, actually.

I've already pre-ordered my copy. Wish they'd just release a box-set of the entire releases.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Haven't heard most of it since I hate Xmas music, but despite that, I still thought last year's selection was excellent.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've gotten every one of the Christmas disks as they've come out. I'd always try and have a couple of festive drinks before listening/watching. The messages from the band are always fun and goofy. I'd say there are really only a handful of actual Christmas songs from these that are truly good. A few of the DVDs have been quite good. Anyway, a copy of this comp is on its way to me. If you really like Marillion and want something festive, give it a shot.

Their version of "Gabriel's Message" is pretty damn good.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

"A child's christmas in Wales" by Dylan Thomas off of "Pudding on the ritz" is probably one of their best kept secrets. It's h reading the story over unused jams from the then actual album (the 2008 double album). This is really a great listen around christmas time! For me the single best thing they've done on all the christmas CDs!

^^ yeah, I was going to mention that. A fave of mine on a cold night with a nice single-malt.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Haven't heard most of it since I hate Xmas music, but despite that, I still thought last year's selection was excellent.

< Carol of the Bells >

That was nice. Xmassy enough to be festive, yet some Marillionish jams injected to make it quite enjoyable to these Prog ears.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ....Anyway, a copy of this comp is on its way to me. If you really like Marillion and want something festive, give it a shot.
    Did you order it directly from the band JKL? How much was it?

tnx!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    That was nice. Xmassy enough to be festive, yet some Marillionish jams injected to make it quite enjoyable to these Prog ears.

Did you order it directly from the band JKL? How much was it?

tnx!
    I think it came out to about $16.

Little Saint Nick is another good one - a Christmas version of their
    song Corn Fly, or Little Corn Fly (?).
    Also The Erin Marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think it came out to about $16.

Little Saint Nick is another good one - a Christmas version of their
    song Corn Fly, or Little Corn Fly (?).
    Also The Erin Marbles.
    Thunder Fly.

I actually prefer Little Saint Nick to Thunder Fly by a wide margin. It gets quite magnificent near the end.

And The Erin Marbles is one of my favorite marillion tracks. Because I'm weird, most likely.

Thunder Fly.
    Thanks, I have some kind of mental block on that title!

Got the new compilation yesterday. Haven't listened to it, but two comments:

1. The cover artwork is way too small.
    2. Odd that there are no credits anywhere for cover songs, a few of which are definitely not public domain.

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-1...as-compilation

I've just ordered it, despite having most of it already. But it's all spread out over the course of about ten annual fan club CDs so it will be nice to have them in one place. This and the Tull Christmas album will get some nice air play around here this year!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-1...as-compilation

I've just ordered it, despite having most of it already. But it's all spread out over the course of about ten annual fan club CDs so it will be nice to have them in one place. This and the Tull Christmas album will get some nice air play around here this year!
    Helpful tip: they have the Tull Christmas Album on Amazon Prime, so you can easily download it for free if you have Amazon Prime.