Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaco: A Documentary Film

Jaco: A Documentary Film

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/jacothefilm

This is projected to be released on Record Store Day 2015.

Just preordered/pledged.

From the Producer Robert Trujillo (of Metallica).

Hola everyone, thanks for checking out our project. Jaco has always been a hero of mine and one of the reasons I play bass to this day. This film has been a project of love and passion for me. This amazing film has been four years in the making, and we need your help to get this film across the finish line!

Our film tells the story of Jaco Pastorius, a self-taught, larger than life musician who made an undeniable impact on music, and reinvented the electric bass; giving the instrument a powerful dynamic voice that had both edge and beauty.

We have assembled an offering of exclusives with PledgeMusic that reflect the documentary and draw upon some of Jaco’s friends and admirers. Pledge and become part of the journey of making this film a reality.

- Rob

Produced by Metallica’s Robert Trujillo in association with Passion Pictures, the film includes some incredible insights from an array of artists (Flea, Joni Mitchell, Sting, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Geddy Lee, Bootsy Collins, Carlos Santana) as well as Jaco’s family, and friends. It unveils the story of his music, his life, his demise, and ultimately the fragility of great artistic genius.

Also for those may be unaware, below is Part 1 (of 4) of a great BBC Radio Documentary about Jaco that was made like 10? years ago.

Hot. Love watching him almost as much as hearing him.

Awesome...will find a way to make a pledge. Jaco is my favorite bass player. Horribly sad ending to a huge musical presence.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Awesome...will find a way to make a pledge. Jaco is my favorite bass player. Horribly sad ending to a huge musical presence.
    Yeah. I've read the bio by Bill Milkowski. A joyful story when he was on his way up; very depressing when he was on his way down and out. He was one of the closest equivalents to a rock star jazz ever had and within a relatively short time, he was a homeless guy who had burned all his bridges, thanks to the combination of mental illness and drug and booze addiction. But I'd rather remember him for his accomplishments; he was an uber-talented musician, composer and innovator. You can hear his influence in so many electric bass players; some have even achieved greatness themselves, but who would they be if it wasn't for Jaco?

I can't wait for this. He was a local guy that has played with many of the same people that I have down here in S Florida. His son Julius plays drums in a band that plays around. He's not been forgotten by us. There are many ghosts. What a shame how things turned out. I loved his playing.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Yeah. I've read the bio by Bill Milkowski. A joyful story when he was on his way up; very depressing when he was on his way down and out. He was one of the closest equivalents to a rock star jazz ever had and within a relatively short time, he was a homeless guy who had burned all his bridges, thanks to the combination of mental illness and drug and booze addiction. But I'd rather remember him for his accomplishments; he was an uber-talented musician, composer and innovator. You can hear his influence in so many electric bass players; some have even achieved greatness themselves, but who would they be if it wasn't for Jaco?
    No Jaco, no Manring. Jaco is one of 20th Century music's great tragedies.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    No Jaco, no Manring. Jaco is one of 20th Century music's great tragedies.
    +1 - A real kick in the nuts that he went out like that. I dont care about bass and dont want to learn it - but I still watch his Modern Electric Bass DCI video... just because he was so goddamn cool. Doesnt hurt to hear amazing shit constantly in it too!

Jaco = autobuy.

With the holidays coming, $ will be tight but I'll pledge/preorder if I can swing it.

I watched all 4 parts of the old documentary tonight, and all I have to say is "many thanks for that, Kyle".

Part 4 wasn't done 5 minutes before I ordered Heavy Weather & 1st solo album. Only Jaco I have is Joni stuff.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I watched all 4 parts of the old documentary tonight, and all I have to say is "many thanks for that, Kyle".

Part 4 wasn't done 5 minutes before I ordered Heavy Weather & 1st solo album. Only Jaco I have is Joni stuff.
    Two "must have" sideman dates in a trio setting:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/bright...e-mw0000188524

http://www.allmusic.com/album/trilog...1-mw0000533116

oh hey, no problem. Jaco, as much as a legend as he is/has become, I find more or less lives up to that rep. That BBC documentary is very in-depth with his life story as I wasn't aware of half of the anecdotes and things that he went through. Hopefully this film does more of the same.

Well I would love to hear your thoughts after hearing word of mouth. That album blew my mind. I site it as on of the most influential albums I ever heard. It turned me on to a ton of different music. Bon voyage!!

Jaco's tone was such ear candy. The guy was just fearless musically. I'm glad that people today still cherish his output as much as I do.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm kinda surprised that the greatest bass player in the world only have 12 posts. I watched all four parts of the documentary and it was fascinating. I only own a few early Weather Report albums but will definitely have to build my library. Jaco would only be 63 years old today. Imagine if he was properly treated for his bipolar illness. He'd be the best in the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm kinda surprised that the greatest bass player in the world only have 12 posts.
    It happens. Mention should also be made of another early Jaco appearance: Pat Metheny's Bright Size Life. Very cool record, made years before he got much, much, much less interesting (Pat, not Jaco).

I only own a few early Weather Report albums but will definitely have to build my library.
    Remember though, he didn't appear until their sixth album Black Market, and even then only on two tracks. First full album was the next one. The early albums are still amazing though, and actually my favourite is probably Sweetnighter. That being said, Jaco was of course amazing.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm kinda surprised that the greatest bass player in the world only have 12 posts.
    What is there left to say about the guy at this point? I loved that BBC doc, very cool.

I watched the BBC doc too. It wasn't so much a "film;" it was more like a radio show with photos. There was some nice archival recordings though, several of which I've never heard. And some interesting commentary from his friends and family. I hope this upcoming movie has some good concert footage.

"Heavy Weather" gets dissed by some around here for being "too slick," but I think it's a fantastic album. Yes, it's more arranged and composed that their previous recordings, but I think that worked in their favor. The solo debut is a little spotty, but there's some great stuff on there.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    That BBC documentary is very in-depth with his life story as I wasn't aware of half of the anecdotes and things that he went through. Hopefully this film does more of the same.
    I was aware of some of it, having read the Milkowski biography. But there's a million Jaco stories floating around; he was more than a bit of a character even before his bipolar disorder got amped up from substance abuse. One of the more bizarre anecdotes in the book was this: Jaco rode a motorcycle into the lobby of a hotel and promptly fell over, passed out. When employees ran in to help, they found a dead squid under his shirt.

I'm not. Those that are interested in jazz and fusion here are a minority. It used to bug me a little, but I'm quite used to it by now... and fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Mention should also be made of another early Jaco appearance: Pat Metheny's Bright Size Life. Very cool record, made years before he got much, much, much less interesting (Pat, not Jaco).
    Yeah, it's a particularly great debut, especially considering how young Pat was. There's some things I like better about his writing and playing (and tone) back then, though he's always done some amazing stuff and continues to. According to the Milkowski book, Jaco's playing was twice as magical at the rehearsals for the album than what was recorded... iirc. Been well over a decade since I read that book.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

I'm not. Those that are interested in jazz and fusion here are a minority. It used to bug me a little, but I'm quite used to it by now... and fine with it.
    I was surprised because his life was such a compelling story. Despite a debilitating disease, he was a highly disciplined musician and prodigy who played with some of the most talented people in music. I think it goes beyond jazz fusion. For me, this is a story of human struggle, triumphs, and then tragedy. I'm hoping that bouncer pays for his cruelty.

I've been listening to Jaco a lot as a result of this, and I'm getting it. I always knew the guy was good but I had kind of figured he was of his time and was eclipsed by later players like Victor Wooten. Now I do see why he was considered the best ever by many. First, like he himself said, I don't think anyone has ever approached that level of accurate intonation on a fretless. Half the time you're not sure it is fretless until he does a slide or vibrato. 2nd, the harmonics. 3rd, Just his harmonic language. And last and far from least, even though the guys was a nutso monster soloist with licks he had the discipline to chill the f**k out and just groove like James Jamerson when he needed to. Well, before the coke kicked in at least. And he played with such absolute confidence- he just never played the wrong thing. So yeah, I'm in. Jaco was it.

Have about a dozen of his albums (mostly live ones), but I'm not really all that familiar with the man or his life; only his music. Looks like I have some watching to do.

Pre-ordered! Coolness.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I've been listening to Jaco a lot as a result of this, and I'm getting it. I always knew the guy was good but I had kind of figured he was of his time and was eclipsed by later players like Victor Wooten. Now I do see why he was considered the best ever by many. First, like he himself said, I don't think anyone has ever approached that level of accurate intonation on a fretless. Half the time you're not sure it is fretless until he does a slide or vibrato. 2nd, the harmonics. 3rd, Just his harmonic language. And last and far from least, even though the guys was a nutso monster soloist with licks he had the discipline to chill the f**k out and just groove like James Jamerson when he needed to. Well, before the coke kicked in at least. And he played with such absolute confidence- he just never played the wrong thing. So yeah, I'm in. Jaco was it.
    Yes to all of the above! And I'm glad you mentioned his groove, because if it wasn't for that, people wouldn't have dug playing with him so much, regardless of those other skills. His pocket was deep and relentless! I'm sure it didn't hurt that he started out as a drummer.

He was fantastic, but I must admit I cant take listening to him more than one album, then I need to hear another bassplayer.

This is some of his finest (obligatory IMO):

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    This is some of his finest (obligatory IMO):
    As is this: