Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terraced Garden

Terraced Garden

Damn, this 80s bunch made for a fine act!

I recently got all three of their albums in a secondhand store here in Oslo (rather cheap, in fact - and in mint condition), and although I've had CDRs of them for a long while, it's certainly something special to be able to hear this stuff through the analog means for which it was intended.

Originally the vehicle (and studio-only) project of multi-instrumentalist/singer-songwriter Carl Tafel, they eventually emerged as a group proper, performing and releasing the annual record until the late 80s before splitting up. TG originated in Ontario, but as with many a Quebecois progressive band there was a pronounced GGiant-mark to some of Tafel's "song format" vision, with the end result being somewhat more relaxed, to-the-point and ironically still a bit more introspective or even contemplative, truly placing this music in its own day and age without reducing its sophistication and expressive effect; and there was little next to no "clinical" about the production values or intrumentation involved, at least until the third and final release Within.

For those in the know; were there ever plans on issuing the TG material on CD, and if so why didn't this ever materialize? To me, TG were one of very few Ontario bands to compete with the earlier Quebecois scene in pure quality, creativity and musical prowess. More people should get to hear this.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 11-18-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I managed to acquire all 3 of their lps. Are they still not on cd?

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I managed to acquire all 3 of their lps. Are they still not on cd?
    YEEE-HAW, an answer!

Sorry 'bout that distraction, uh yes - uh no; still no CDs.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    YEEE-HAW, an answer!

Sorry 'bout that distraction, uh yes - uh no; still no CDs.
    Criminal.

I bought Braille around the time it came out. I picked up Melody & Menace shortly after. I even have a promo "poster" of the Braille album cover somewhere. I have Within as well. I'm pretty sure I got that when it came out. It was a long time ago.

I got some mileage out of them back then, especially the last two. I don't think that I've played any of them since the early '90s. I'll have to put them in the stack for revisiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I bought Braille around the time it came out.
    This just might be my fave. It's a bit less overtly "Giant'ish".

For those in the know; were there ever plans on issuing the TG material on CD, and if so why didn't this ever materialize?
    There was an interview with Tafel in Exposé in 1995 where he talked about wanting to reissue expanded versions of the albums on CD, but he wanted a label to do it, not to do it himself. He also spoke about working on a fourth album, which AFAIK never materialized.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    There was an interview with Tafel in Exposé in 1995 where he talked about wanting to reissue expanded versions of the albums on CD, but he wanted a label to do it, not to do it himself. He also spoke about working on a fourth album, which AFAIK never materialized.
    ESOTERIC?

Judging on the input here (which is kinda pointless, I know), I doubt if there's sufficient interest with the "prog buying" - uhm - masses.

Seriously sad. I would be content with these 3 from a very nice needle-drop.

Bought Braille and Within in the early 90's and still give them a regular spin (after I transferred them to CDR). A CD reissue with bonus tracks would be great but I'd be surprised to see it ever happen
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I have Within on LP, but didn't spin it for Ages. Will do so soon.

I would buy "Melody And Menace" on CD at the frist day it's out (if that ever happens)

There's a nice interview with Carl by Peter Thelen in Expose way back when, and I think there were plans at one point to try to do reissues, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened.

I got some of their stuff on a burned CD, from someone who stated they sounded like Hoelderlin and I felt a bit disapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I got some of their stuff on a burned CD, from someone who stated they sounded like Hoelderlin and I felt a bit disapointed.
    I'll take TG over H any day, I'm afraid to say.

ESOTERIC?
    Laser's Edge is still a better fit..

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

I'll take TG over H any day, I'm afraid to say.
    For me it's the other way round.

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    Laser's Edge is still a better fit..
    Tell Ken Golden. I only said Esoteric because they specialize in obscure prog becoming cds. I didn't know that Ken did also outside of Nightwinds.

Tell Ken Golden. I only said Esoteric because they specialize in obscure prog becoming cds. I didn't know that Ken did also outside of Nightwinds.
    I think when it comes to relative obscurities from the 70s, few have done it better than Ken; only the most ardent collectors had much knowledge about stuff like Island, Spektakel, Coto-en-Pel, Spirit of Christmas, Werwolf, The Load, Szobel and even the first Faithful Breath record before he reissued them. Greg at Syn-Phonic concentrated on the US titles (Shroom and Black Moon did some as well), while Ken moved about the continents. As for the Terraced Garden material, most specialized labels know of it, but there's always the obstacle of a) getting the rights and not least b) assuming the music's level of potential market attraction. And, to be quite honest, I think that if anyone were to have reissued the TG albums, this would have had to happen 10-15 years ago when there were still (possible) chances of turning 500-1000 copies of them.

I know that Ken's aware of TG stuff and has spoken to Carl in the distant past...
    I think that the only way this would happen is if one release is on MODULUS, and if the interest is there, then they proceed either as MODULUS releases or limited LE releases... lot of work/footwork would have to happen and I don't know if any parties involved are that inspired to make it happen... shame however, I would bet that these releases would really shine with a CD quality remastering.

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

I've had these in CD reissue wishlists for as long as I've been making lists, having owned the LPs for 25+ years. Personally, I prefer the debut, but they're all worthy of a reissue.