Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terraced Garden

They were very good - coming out with the kind of sound they had in the mid 80's was definitely wrong place wrong time.

Carl was a friend of mine though I lost touch with him when he moved out of the city a few years ago.

I asked him about getting the albums out on CD - I know he'd been in touch with one or two labels but I'm not sure why it never happened.

My first gig ever was opening for them - I'm not clear now why he agreed as we were a bit of a second rate Clash wannabe outfit and they, um, weren't. I was able to return the favour and had him open for us years later when he did a solo thing with backing tapes.

Very very talented guy.

I bought 'M & M' and 'Within' back in the 80s, but never truly warmed up to them, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I bought 'M & M' and 'Within' back in the 80s, but never truly warmed up to them, unfortunately.
    I have all three of them; got the first two on a visit to Toronto in ’93 from a store on Yonge that was liquidating all its vinyl for cheap (got a mess of Krautrock stuff on that trip, as I recall). Got Within some years later (bought online, probably from eBay). I’m only just now starting to feel something of an appreciation for them; they’re undeniably a unique band, but I find something rather lacking. I think there is this tendency on the part of some collectors to overrate albums that have never [officially] been released on CD; see also Fireballet.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I have all three of them; got the first two on a visit to Toronto in ’93 from a store on Yonge that was liquidating all its vinyl for cheap (got a mess of Krautrock stuff on that trip, as I recall). Got Within some years later (bought online, probably from eBay). I’m only just now starting to feel something of an appreciation for them; they’re undeniably a unique band, but I find something rather lacking. I think there is this tendency on the part of some collectors to overrate albums that have never [officially] been released on CD; see also Fireballet.
    Both Fireballet albums were recently released(officially by Fireballet) on cd. Two,Too is using the middle part of the cover from Night On Bald Mountain as it's cover now because of the universal hatred of the band in ballerina tutu's. Monty Python could have done that and nobody would have cared.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...GL._SX425_.jpg

Never heard of these guys before, but particularly great when they pull out the mellotron and flute!

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I think there is this tendency on the part of some collectors to overrate albums that have never [officially] been released on CD; see also Fireballet.
    I absolutely agree, but this wasn't my deal at all - and it never has been or will be. Rather it was the following; seeing how the "symph" schools of progressive rock did rather tamely during the 80s (with some exception for Japan and the odd West-German or Eastern bloc release, that is), I thought TG had much to offer in terms of bringing about a meeting between both structural and melodic density with more "meta-binary" arrangements of the basic song-form. And they did this whilst UK contemporaries were spewing out their "neo" simplifications of said principles.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM