Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Captain Beefheart

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Someone over at the Hoffman site pointed out that the Trout Mask House Sessions disc from the OOP Grow Fins box is coming out on CD:
    https://www.amazon.com/Trout-Mask-Ho.../dp/B06XXL94B3

The cover photo's got to be 5 years earlier than TMR.
    I made myself a TMR Rehearsals disc several years ago, excerpted from Grow Fins. Kept the songs in the same order as on TMR and tried to limit the duplications.

Whole thing came out to only 42:34 minutes.

For the cover I used one of the many drawings online where people have duplicated the famous cover. That seemed more appropriate than a 1966 shot of the band.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    Hear hear!

It's taken me a long time to start warming to the brilliance of Mr. Vliet, but now it has caught on for good.
    Bro, what's up?

Obviously, Beefheart can take time. Like anything, the wait is worth the reward.

Had these 3-4 cousins/relatives that were about 5 years younger than me. When they were hitting 16ish, into the tunes...every time they saw me. they'd ask for band/album recommendation. One time they caught me at a family reunion but I was on the move and I just blurted out "Trout Mask Replica" By captain beefheart. later I never saw em...moved out of town for quite a while. When I moved back, they couldn't wait to track me down to tell me about what huge Beefheart fans they were now. BUT, the story was, one of them bought TMR. They all thought it was the worst shit they'd ever heard in their life. They thought I played a practical joke on them, or...that I had lost my touch...or my mind. lol I guess that a few years later they heard Clearspot at a friends place and loved it...and went back to TMR, and every other Beefheart record they could get their hands on ... and were blown away! They said they joked to themselves that it must not have been a practical joke after all.

1981 Interview

"A winter night in January 1981 I drove up to Reseda in Los Angeles to see Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band at the Country Club. It was a fantastic concert and Don and the band were flying. At the time I was working for the Danish Radio as a freelancer and I asked a guy at the door if Don would be available for an interview. To my surprise he came out and told me to meet Don at a Denny’s restaurant across the street. And there he came in his stage-clothes, very nice and we talked as you can hear here. After the interview he drove off in his old Volvo into the dessert, back to his paintings as he said. The interview never made it to the radio and I forgot about it until very recently when I found my trusted mini-Nagra hidden in a corner of my loft together with some tapes. One of them was this interview. Enjoy! (Steen Rasmussen)"

Why/how did I miss Mirror Man? That opening blues jam for 18+ min is phenomenal.

^ ^ ^ ^

Tarrotplane? Monsterous.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^Because he's still so amazingly underrated? Who could appreciate this kind of music? Punks? Or proggers, with their leaning on chops and fine melodies? Beefheart is an anomaly for any fixed conception of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^ ^ ^ ^

Tarrotplane? Monsterous.
    Yep!

Dusted off my Pork Chop Blue Around the Rind CD by Gary Lucas Fast 'n' Bulbous. Absolutely amazing recording and arrangements! Good lord I need to listen to this album more. Easily A+, 10/10.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Dusted off my Pork Chop Blue Around the Rind CD by Gary Lucas Fast 'n' Bulbous. Absolutely amazing recording and arrangements! Good lord I need to listen to this album more. Easily A+, 10/10.
    Wonderful record. Your post just compelled me to cue it up (even though I should be going to sleep).
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Wonderful record. Your post just compelled me to cue it up (even though I should be going to sleep).
    Excellent. Do you have the newer album as well? I think I need that if its half as good as the first one. I would place "Pork Chop" in my fav top 10 Cuneiform albums now. It's just so well done in every respect.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Excellent. Do you have the newer album as well? I think I need that if its half as good as the first one. I would place "Pork Chop" in my fav top 10 Cuneiform albums now. It's just so well done in every respect.
    I have got it, and it's not a letdown at all. Whilst I think I prefer the first one slightly, there's not much in it - both are great with no weak spots. I'm sure you won't be sorry if you get it.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I have got it, and it's not a letdown at all. Whilst I think I prefer the first one slightly, there's not much in it - both are great with no weak spots. I'm sure you won't be sorry if you get it.
    Great...thanks man.

I was an early fan(first two albums), but he lost me at TMR. Good stuff to be had later on on Doc at the Radar Station.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    I was an early fan(first two albums), but he lost me at TMR. Good stuff to be had later on on Doc at the Radar Station.
    I agree that TMR is overrated. Even if trimmed to a single album it wouldn't be my favorite. I like Beefheart better when he keeps a balance between avant garde and classic blues. I also agree that Doc is one of his better albums. Three of its songs were recently profiled by a rising YouTuber:

Yep!
    Kandy Korn holds up too. This solo guitar version might just be a faint reflection in some ways, but there are some nice reminders of what happens on the Mirror Man version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj74MSLSV3w