Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Progressive Music (Fusion) and Violin

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Glauco Fernandes
    His debut album is completely knockout... does he have more?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    His debut album is completely knockout... does he have more?
    That's the only one I have and can't find anything else listed in his discography.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

No-one mentioning Hoelderlin? If viola is close enough, but Christoph Noppeney also played violin on their debut

If you want cello how about Station? No guitar, but cello and a trio with violin, viola and a second cello in addition. Sebastian Oberg, who played the cello, also played with Fläsket Brinner

Steve Kindler! A very tasty musician!
    I forgot to mention him earlier. His Global Pacific label CDs are marvelous and his brother Bob is an excellent musician too. (I caught wind of them through my interest in Joaquin Lievano.)

Yer Right Greg, The violin added so much to the sound

Here's some Cdn stuff including local Ottawa band The Night Watch performing live

Here something way better on the eyes the deVah Quartet from TO, who play here in Ottawa quite often

and here's something from the 70's Quebec scene Aquarelle

I'm looking for a violinist for an original band in the Chicago area. Nash the Slash, Ben Mink, Jobson style.

Violins have featured prominently in bands I've loved throughout my life -here are a few not mentioned so far:
    East of Eden in 1969:

And more recently, SkeletonBreath from 2008:

and very recently, Stop Motion Orchestra:

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Mark - the Quartet from T.O. is really cool, including the one with the upright electric Cello. I'll check out the Ottawa (hometown) band. I'm sure Night Watch continues to play live. Aquarelle sounds really nice (my favourite of the three).
    Gearhed - good luck finding a violin player - post your stuff here when you find one.
    I have an East of Eden CD and like it a lot.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 11-19-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Nice!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    and very recently, Stop Motion Orchestra:

That's a great release, very reminiscent of Calle Debauche which isn't surprising with Mohaved on guitar in both bands.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Here's a relatively recent David Cross (2007), playing my favourite Crim song with him on it:

Interesting reinterpretation of the Crim classic.

Next, off of David's best solo offering (Exiles again):

The master, Pagani:

Another, with PFM:

This is some funny shiz! If I were born yesterday and just happened upon this thread today, I'd think that the violin was invented in 1972

Sorry but the performance in that deVah Quartet video is so awful I'm surprised I tolerated it for a full minute -- I guess I was waiting for it to improve and it didn't. Here's something with much more pleasant sounds from the violin:

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Jack O' The Clock are one of a handful of my favorite modern prog bands.
    What album(s)?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    What album(s)?
    I have the last two, All My Friends & Night Loops. Both are great
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Rabbit Rabbit are edgy Folky.

Thank you, that is just wonderful. And very inspiring, too, as a violinist I'm always looking for interesting ways to play the violin in a band context.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I suppose they are both very important instruments in RIO?
    RIO was never a musical "style" as with "symph rock", where a certain sound was nailed by means of given instrumentation etc. RIO is a creative ethos within particular approaches to various experimental rock/pop/folk/contemporary/classical/jazz concoctions.

I think Carla Kihlstedt (SGM, Rabbit, Tin Hat, Charming Hostess, Uz Jsme Doma, PAK, Book of Knots, Cheer-Accident etc.) is by far the most interesting violinist working in contemporary rock terrain nowadays.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 11-20-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Iva Bittova

She's just so damn much more than a "violinist", though. I don't think I've ever personally experienced an artist this comfortable at moving across and in between rock/pop, folk, farce, opera (per se), gypsy jazz etc. - and with such profound ease. She remains one of the finest and most musically talented and charismatic performers I ever saw.

And to think that on top of that she's a lyricist and award-winning actress as well!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Any(every) admirer of Iva Bittova's music should hear "Bile Inferno", her duo cd with Vladimir Vaclavek.I'm playing it now and its been too long between listens for me.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Any(every) admirer of Iva Bittova's music should hear "Bile Inferno", her duo cd with Vladimir Vaclavek.
    This and the Pustit Musis release with Dunaj are my faves of hers.

Not really prog, but Steve Vai has always hovered on the edges. So there's a live DVD "Where the Wild Things Are", and two violinists feature prominently: Ann Marie Calhoun and Alex DePue. Alex constantly uses a solidbody electric violin, while Ann Marie uses a standard one. I honestly preferred her tone, but they both played up a storm. Lots of three-part harmonies with Steve as well. Bryan Beller was the bassist, and although just a supporting role mostly in this case, did a very good job.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Not really prog, but Steve Vai has always hovered on the edges. So there's a live DVD "Where the Wild Things Are", and two violinists feature prominently: Ann Marie Calhoun and Alex DePue. Alex constantly uses a solidbody electric violin, while Ann Marie uses a standard one. I honestly preferred her tone, but they both played up a storm. Lots of three-part harmonies with Steve as well. Bryan Beller was the bassist, and although just a supporting role mostly in this case, did a very good job.
    Considering some think prog is anything that has more than 3 different chords, Steve Vai is prog.

Top for me would be Mark O'Connor. One of the greatest violinist/fiddle players in modern music. Did a brief stint with the Dregs and has done a ton of progressive music mixing traditional country, bluegrass, jazz and classical.