Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Michelle Young : Marked For Madness

FEATURED CD - Michelle Young : Marked For Madness

An interesting Kate Bush styled album. I wish there was more from her. PART of a long review by Musical Discoveries :
    Marked For Madness. Michelle's second album builds significantly on her debut and is the dedicated culmination of four years' of international travel and collaboration. The final result, mastered at Abbey Road Studios in London, is comprised of fifteen cohesively produced tracks firmly planted in progressive rock but with impressively broad appeal. Darker in spots than Song of the Siren, effects introduced on her debut have been carried onto the new recording. A real air of hope emerges from the most orchestral and symphonic numbers. The album's title serves equally as its theme, incredibly delivered in words, music and other acoustic effects. Although samples of the album's very early demos can be heard at Michelle's mp3.com website, readers should note that the final production is substantially improved.

While Michelle can still be compared vocally to Kate Bush at times, the songwriting and instrumental arrangements on Marked For Madness transport her work a distance from the 80s hit maker into the world of song-based progressive rock. The dramatic title track that opens the album is the first to support this assertion, evocatively varying moods with vocal, instrumental and other effects to deliver the album's message. Dramatic effects and the stunning guitar solo during the instrumental bridge clearly separate the project from 'other female vocals' albums—this is a progressive rock album right from the start.

The album's dramatic theme builds with the hauntingly rocky tune "A Lively Toast." Layered vocals and instrumental arrangements are as eerie as progressively rocky with effects and distinctly different keyboard passages breaking a traditional verse/chorus pattern. Lushly arranged, blending choral, woodwind sounds and chimes with violin samples, the dramatically performed "Spider's Thread" also includes tremendous vocal work, projecting the power and range of the artist's talent. The album's first instrumental is the brightly produced symphonic number "Hope: Realization," orchestrally echoing both bright and dark themes heard elsewhere on the album. The track blends naturally into the everso short track "First Light" featuring Bobby Kimball's vocals.

Thunder clap effects underscore Michelle's evocatively soaring vocal introduction to the rocking keyboards and guitars in "Dancing On The Head Of A Pin." The dramatic contrast between lead and backing vocal elements as well as the robust keyboard solos are most notable. Layers of vocals and eerie cinematic textures perfectly suit the haunting lyrics and richly produced symphonic passages of "Demons," one of the album's certain standout and defining tracks. The theatrical style instrumental "Hope: The Darkest Hour" blends various musical sounds with special effects and various spoken contributions perfectly suited to introduce the stunning "Melissa's Demise" that immediately follows. With both rock with jazz elements, layers of lush vocals join acoustic and electric guitar and tremendously produced percussion to evoke contrasting emotional responses corresponding to the song's message.

Michelle's compositional strength is clearly illustrated in the layered classically oriented instrumental "The Right of Passage," with violin samples arranged by Clive Nolan. Acoustic guitar and stunning lead vocals fill "Hope: Encouragement;" backing vocals, choral elements and lushly arranged symphonic keyboards contribute as the theme develops. "Mystery Man Summoned" is a theatrically performed number with spooky lyrics perfectly supported by the dramatic carnival-style instrumental arrangements, backing vocals and supporting sound effects. A variety of different spoken vocal contributions begin the track "Pull The Wool" as crisp finger snapping percussion supports the layered vocal track. A brief symphonic passage concludes the track.

Marked For Madness begins its conclusion with "Walk In The Light," a lovely bookend to "First Light" which appears much earlier in the recording. A cross between sensitively sung ballad and progressive rocker, this dramatic number builds instrumentally and vocally to a marvelous symphonic crescendo, before returning to its delicate beginning and final dramatic conclusion. Layers of stunning vocals are perfectly complimented by a richly produced arrangement. The album closes with the everso delicate ballad "Toujours Ensemble" (Always Together). Sung in English and French the vocal layers perfectly accompanied by acoustic guitar and piano effectively deliver the theme 'always together in the music.' This album is most certainly worth not only a trans-Atlantic journey, but a journey to the moon if necessary—a must listen!

(...and there's more...)
    http://www.musicaldiscoveries.com/re...myoung.htm#MFM

Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 11-16-2014 at 09:23 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

Who is Kat Bush?

I know of this singer. She was briefly with Glass Hammer way early on in their career. Not sure which albums she was on by them though.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    She sang with Wyzards at I forget which festival way back. Progscape I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That was a GH gig...

Suspended
    Hmmm, "Michelle Young" is just too normal a name for a female progressive musician. it sounds all wrong somehow.

Michelle Young gets almost no notice here but she should. Her two solo albums are very good, this one being the better of the two. I wish she would have done more prog work. But after this one was released, she seems to have done mostly religious music. At least, thats what I have been able to gather from her website.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Who is Kat Bush?
    Ack...

...typo fixed.
    Regards,

Duncan

Btw Michelle has a couple good cameos on the last GH cd OdeTo Echo, as does Walter Moore. Afaik it's her first recording in quite a few years. She dropped by the studio a few days ago and she's concentrating on painting and visual stuff these days.

She did a solo set at ProgDay in 1999. I thought she was great. Have not heard much about her lately.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    That was a GH gig...
    Was it? But you did some Wyzards material, right?

Was it? But you did some Wyzards material, right?
    We... might have... I don't remember. I'll ask Steve. Wyzards only did one gig up north at some metal-fest and I'm pretty sure we didn't have Michelle. But Progscape was Glass Hammer. We did a bunch of goofy stuff; we played a cover of Hold Your Head Up and we did Alaska from the first UK album and we even did a song from Michelle's 1st cd. That gig was largely the reason we quit playing live until NEARfest.

We... might have... I don't remember. I'll ask Steve. Wyzards only did one gig up north at some metal-fest and I'm pretty sure we didn't have Michelle. But Progscape was Glass Hammer. We did a bunch of goofy stuff; we played a cover of Hold Your Head Up and we did Alaska from the first UK album and we even did a song from Michelle's 1st cd. That gig was largely the reason we quit playing live until NEARfest.
    Wyzards played at Powermad in Baltimore. Unfortunately, I missed the show because I couldn't go on Sunday for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Ack...

...typo fixed.
    The Typo Police and other such odd balls are always lurking here.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    Wyzards played at Powermad in Baltimore. Unfortunately, I missed the show because I couldn't go on Sunday for some reason.
    That was it! Thanks

She dated John Wetton for a while. The Prog power couple.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

I took out Michelle's first album for a spin on the upgraded stereo within the past week and loved it all over again. I bought it at the Progscape GH show. I don't remember any Wyzards material until the NEARFest gig.

I have this and her first one Song Of The Siren. I love them both. I really thought she might take off after Madness. so much potential and what a voice! I have 3 Glass Hammer albums she was on...I think?? plus Jabberwocky and Leonardo I'm curious to hear what her work with John Lathim sounds like. I have no idea who he is but noticed recently she did a couple albums with him. I hope in the future she releases another full length solo album....she at least deserves to be in a good prog band or any good genre for that matter. maybe she just likes it the way it's gone so far. I don't know. I had just hoped to hear more from her, that's all.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Which Jabberwocky? Wakeman..?
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Which Jabberwocky? Wakeman..?
    yeah, she was just background vocals though. I'd have to get it out and see how many tracks. she did a duet with Steve Walsh on Leonardo. I looked up some of her with John Lathim live on YT. didn't really interest me but the studio might be better.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    I like what I'm hearing ... wish her albums were available on iTunes ...
    Some really nice guitar work at the tail end of "Marked for Madness"! Is that someone from GH by chance ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by ProgPariah77 View Post
    I like what I'm hearing ... wish her albums were available on iTunes ...
    Some really nice guitar work at the tail end of "Marked for Madness"! Is that someone from GH by chance ... ?
    Not that I recall; that album was mostly Clive Nolan's gang of collaborators and Doane Perry on drums. I do remember some keyboard parts on one song that I did in the demo phase turned up in the final mix uncredited and that's it for GH input on it. Actually I think she even got Peter Banks to play a guitar solo too! That may be it.

Really? I immensely enjoyed that set at ProgScape. Loved the Argent cover. Sadly the power and fun you beamed from the stage was something I really missed on the GH albums at the time.

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    Ordered both of her CDs from her website today.

Actually I think she even got Peter Banks to play a guitar solo too!
    Pete is credited with "additional guitar", but I don't know precisely what. http://www.relayer35.com/Yescography...ForMadness.htm has the credits.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I'm ridiculously picky about female vocalists - very few do the trick for me. That said, this cample just blew me away. Off to the Interwebs to find this album.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart