Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Instrumental symphonic progressive rock

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    We'll mention Phil Collins so it can stay.
    That's not the point. Usually lists and recommendations go in OT. I guess the mods just haven't caught up yet.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

My favorite French band (along with that other band whose name also starts with M)

Minimum Vital (all on Musea):

--these are all/primarily instrumental
    Envol Triangles & Les Saisons Marines (2-on-1 CD) albums 1985 & 1988, CD 1992
    Sarabandes 1990
    La Source 1993

--these have vocals but are nonetheless fantastic
    Esprit D'amor 1997
    Au Cercle De Pierre 1998
    Atlas 2003
    Capitaines 2009

These are all/primarily instrumental

Vital Duo (Jean-Luc and Thierry Payssan): Ex Tempore 2001

Jean-Luc Payssan: Pierrots et arlequins 2006

Thierry Payssan: Dans La Maison 2011

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Wait a second. Shouldn't this thread be in OT?
    Why?

^ I already explained above plus I don't want to derail this thread anymore than I already have. I just wanted to point out the protocol as I understand it.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Mentioned in another thread, Roine Stolt's Hydrophonia.

Ars Nova is primarily instrumental if you like very heavy ELP-like symph prog (played by three Japanese women).

Is ars nova still around. I gave up on them a while ago. Felt like they were repeating themselves. But they did have a few great releases early on. I've never heard of Minimum Vital. Have to check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The three Schicke, Führs & Fröhling albums are all great. The first one, Symphonic Pictures, is the best, but they all have some cool music on them.
    Well, I wouldn’t call Ticket to Everywhere “great,” but I like pulling it out every once in a while. Some of the F&F stuff that is not Ammerland is similar-sounding (like “Artificial Force” off of Strings, which is practically Wiedeke, Führs & Fröhling!).

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Camel - Snow Goose
    Djam Karet - The Devouring
    Anglagard - Viljans Oga
    Kotebel - Concerto for Piano & Electric Ensemble
    Sanhedrin - Ever After
    I’d recommend these as well! Well, I haven’t really heard that particular Kotebel album, but I’d certainly recommend checking out Omphalos and Ouroboros if you haven’t heard them. They’re one of the more intriguing instrumental prog ensembles out there today.

Ever After is one of my favourite albums of the past decade and it seriously needs more love.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Oh! How about Harvest Aorta by Ephemeral Sun? But is it symphonic, a la Camel? Possibly not.
    It’s probably easier to say what it isn’t than what it is. A sort of sympho-prog/metal/Goth/ambient mix. It sounds like utter hash when you describe it that way, but it’s truly remarkable and extremely original. Another highlight of the past decade that’s too-much overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Gotic - Escenes (one of the best Spanish "symph" albums altogether)
    There’s a touch of fusion to this, too. It’s really nice and has one of the most beautiful album covers out there. I have the old Fonomusic CD which kind of spoils the effect by having that ugly green border around the artwork.

Horizont (Gorizont) - Summer In Town (the first of two excellent releases by this Russian mid-80s ensemble; the second is far more experimental)
    The Portrait of a Boy is a must-hear if you want to listen to how a Yamaha DX7 ought to be used (i.e.: to make glitchy noises straight from your nightmares!). Summer in Town is interesting in how it gradually transforms from upbeat Yes-style sympho-prog to all-out avant weirdness so gradually, you begin to wonder how you got there!

In Spe - In Spe (fabulous work by this Estonian 80s band led by esteemed contemporary composer Erkki Sven-Tüür)
    This one’s an old favourite; if the idea of a blend of early Kenso and Pekka Pohjola appeals to you, try this one. What I’ve heard of the second (with Alo Matiisen replacing Tüür) is also quite good, but in a different direction.

Shylock - Ile de Fievre (second and last album by French Crimsonists, late 70s)
    This one’s a tad overrated I find—the glitchy speed-up-slow-down stuff in the middle annoys the s#$% out of me—but the opening and closing tracks make this one worthwhile. The debut has that French “low-budget” sound but I think it hangs together better as a complete album.

Galie - Galie (wonderful Mexican debut from the late 70s)
    A very pretty one. I’m a fan of their second, too, which weirdly sounds older (probably because they dropped the synths, the only keyboard on that one is a Fender-Rhodes). They have four albums, but I haven’t heard the later two.

Atlas - Blå Vardag (from '78, a slightly fusion-inflected "symph" rock gem from Sweden - an obvious influence on Änglagård)
    They’re more “upbeat” than Änglagård but they definitely have that sound about them; all Hammond, various pianos, Moog and Mellotron. Sounds more ’73 than ’79. A favourite, five full stars, even the bonus tracks on the APM CD are excellent. Incidentally, I immediately flashed back to this album when I heard the Sanhedrin disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Kenso
    Really only the first two I’d consider “symphonic.” II is a classic. Later albums drift more towards a fusion sound, at least until Esoptron, where they start getting more eclectic (and weird, what the heck is going on on Fabulis Mirabilibus Blah Blah Blah anyway?).

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Ars Nova is primarily instrumental if you like very heavy ELP-like symph prog (played by three Japanese women).
    Horror movie music, sort of like Emerson’s Inferno soundtrack crossed with Goblin. I personally think they’ve never bettered Transi, their second album. Their next few just kind of repeat the formula, and they lost me when they went metal.

What, no Finch? And is Focus too obvious?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I think Djam Karet are great and they are instrumental but I wouldn't call them symphonic prog.

I agree that Finch should be mentioned. Their album "Beyond Expression" is a great example of what the OP is looking for. Focus on the other hand I don't consider to be symph prog at least not in the strictest sense or at least not in the usual sense although the same could be said about Banco, After Crying and Caravan to name a few.

Also, I want to recommend the album "the voyage" by Isildur's Bane even though this one is unfortunately out of print(afaik). Some moments of pure jazz and others of pure classical/chamber but it's just sublime imo.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 11-16-2014 at 11:58 PM.

Gotic - Escenes (one of the best Spanish "symph" albums altogether)
    Trilogy - Here It Is (from Germany; not quite as good as the first SFF, but really nice all the same)
    Horizont (Gorizont) - Summer In Town (the first of two excellent releases by this Russian mid-80s ensemble; the second is far more experimental)
    In Spe - In Spe (fabulous work by this Estonian 80s band led by esteemed contemporary composer Erkki Sven-Tüür)
    Shylock - Ile de Fievre (second and last album by French Crimsonists, late 70s)
    Luciano Basso - Voci (great Italian piece from the early 70s)
    Galie - Galie (wonderful Mexican debut from the late 70s)
    Atlas - Blå Vardag (from '78, a slightly fusion-inflected "symph" rock gem from Sweden - an obvious influence on Änglagård)
    Änglagård - Epilog (the finest "modern" instrumental "symph" album, IMHO)
    Syrinx - Qualia (outstanding French experimental "symph" from the late 2000s; second-runner to Änglagård)
    that's the stuff!

thread over
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Really only the first two I’d consider “symphonic.” II is a classic. Later albums drift more towards a fusion sound, at least until Esoptron, where they start getting more eclectic (and weird, what the heck is going on on Fabulis Mirabilibus Blah Blah Blah anyway?).
    Go watch the DVD from Nearfest
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Is ars nova still around. I gave up on them a while ago. Felt like they were repeating themselves. But they did have a few great releases early on.
    Last release was 2009 and they are recording a new one. In an attempt to change up their sound, they added guitar and occasional vocals. They've also changed membership. Instead of 3 women, I think its 2 women and 2 men now? I pretty much gave up on them because I got tired of the constant heavy sound.

Pymlico from Norway have released three excellent albums so far. Here's a link to their latest product in vein of Genesis and Alan Parsons Project.

http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pag...uiding%20Light

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Pulled this one off the shelf yesterday and listened to it. This thing is really good.
    I have a couple of albums to buy. Really done well live, too!

What, no Finch? And is Focus too obvious?
    Kenso II is one of the best "symph fusion" albums ever made. I like to think of this as a somewhat separate subgenre (Lord knows we haven't got enough of those) more or less instigated by 70s acts like Camel, Som Imaginario, Leb I Sol, Happy the Man, Finnforest etc. (and later brought to perfection by groups like D.F.A.). I think one of the main reasons why Kenso became more obviously experimental with time, was the pronounced role of keysman Kenichi Oguchi, who also plays with several of the avant-progressive Jap-bands (Ruins and Koenjihyakkei, amongst others). I actually think Esoptron is a great record; apparently it was almost all recorded live in the studio, and boy can these guys play!

Finch were very good, although in retrospect I find their debut the only really satisfying release of theirs.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Mentioned in another thread, Roine Stolt's Hydrophonia.

I know I'm ending a sentence with a preposition, but I definitely do!

The Oxford dictionary definition of symphony is, 'An elaborate musical composition for full orchestra, typically in four movements, at least one of which is traditionally in sonata form.' So, Keith Emerson's Piano Concerto No. 1, for Works (I), may apply in the context of this thread.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

The Enid - In the Region of the Summer Stars, Aerie Faerie Nonsense, Touch Me, Six Pieces, Live at Hammersmith.
    Pekka Pohjola - Keesojen Lehto
    Isildurs Bane - Cheval

Well, I wouldn’t call Ticket to Everywhere “great,” but I like pulling it out every once in a while. Some of the F&F stuff that is not Ammerland is similar-sounding (like “Artificial Force” off of Strings, which is practically Wiedeke, Führs & Fröhling!).
    Well, it's maybe not quite as good as the first two, but I think Ticket To Everywhere is at least a decent record. A couple tracks off that one popped up on my mp3 player shuffle a couple days ago, and I was surprised how well I liked them.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, it's maybe not quite as good as the first two, but I think Ticket To Everywhere is at least a decent record. A couple tracks off that one popped up on my mp3 player shuffle a couple days ago, and I was surprised how well I liked them.
    To me it sounds like proto techno at least to some degree. It has drums and techno doesn't but other than that it has a kind of disco meets electronic(ie Tangerine Dream)feel to it. I hadn't heard it in a long time but because of the mention here I listened to some tracks on youtube last night and I still feel my initial assessment applies. Maybe it's the slight disco feel that puts some off. However, I like Alan Parsons Project's "IRobot" so it doesn't bother me.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    The Enid - In the Region of the Summer Stars, Aerie Faerie Nonsense, Touch Me, Six Pieces, Live at Hammersmith.
    Pekka Pohjola - Keesojen Lehto
    Nice stuff indeed.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

To me it sounds like proto techno at least to some degree. It has drums and techno doesn't but other than that it has a kind of disco meets electronic(ie Tangerine Dream)feel to it. I hadn't heard it in a long time but because of the mention here I listened to some tracks on youtube last night and I still feel my initial assessment applies. Maybe it's the slight disco feel that puts some off. However, I like Alan Parsons Project's "IRobot" so it doesn't bother me.
    Yeah, I kinda sort of see the "dance music" allusions on some of the tracks. A couple of the tracks I heard the other day do sound like they were designed a little more for "your dancing pleasure", as it were. I'm ok with that, though. They don't go too far in that direction, as far as I'm concerned. And the melodies are still pretty good, as is the synth work.

I actually think Esoptron is a great record; apparently it was almost all recorded live in the studio, and boy can these guys play!
    It’s probably my favourite after II. Most people look at me like I have two heads when I say I prefer it to Yume no oka (which drifted a little too close to fuzak/new age for my tastes).

Finch were very good, although in retrospect I find their debut the only really satisfying release of theirs.
    I like them all but I kind of agree with you, nothing they did after was as satisfying as Glory of the Inner Force (and by Galleons of Passion, they were beginning to repeat themselves).

Lots of folks mentioning Isildurs Bane, but it seems everyone mentions a different album! Allow me to add another one: MIND: Vol. 1, which is also the only one I’ve heard. I just adore it, though, one of my 1990s faves!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Lots of folks mentioning Isildurs Bane, but it seems everyone mentions a different album! Allow me to add another one: MIND: Vol. 1, which is also the only one I’ve heard. I just adore it, though, one of my 1990s faves!
    Their best, IMHO. Here they made semi-orchestral "chamber fusion" of the highest order, lavishly produced and executed. As much Arvo Pärt-meets-Univers Zero as "rock", though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ I already explained above plus I don't want to derail this thread anymore than I already have. I just wanted to point out the protocol as I understand it.
    Why?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ain Soph - Ride on a Camel