Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Science Solves Hipster Paradox

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    @ Plasmatopia

Many thanks for that article. If I could think of the words to use, I'll do it but at the moment I just don't know what to say. The one thing I can say right now is the examples of Einstein and Alinsky describe my thoughts and experiences to a t, minus the big brains those guys had.

Never thought I'd have anything in common with Einstein.
    I never felt that way about myself either, but I think it's more a matter of degrees than an all or nothing proposition. It might be an interesting subject for many of us here on PE to think about in terms of our preference for music outside the mainstream...or not. It's all just food for thought.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    To call Einstein an anti-authoritarian, and then say hipsters are also, is comparing apples to oranges.
    Right - so let's not do that! I really don't think they have much in common. There were things said in this thread that reminded me of the article, so I posted it saying that it might be way off topic.
    <sig out of order>

You're not a hipster if you're actually hip.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Very interesting comment,,..what do you not conform to?
    Well, if you have to ask, I should point out that when I state, "I am about as non-conformist as they come...", I'm not suggesting I'm more absolute than most. I do conform to most of societal's so-called "accepted standards." I don't shoplift or drive on the sidewalks. And I pay my taxes. But, naturally, I am very non-conformist down to the smallest things, like, instead of heating something in the microwave for 30 seconds, I'll do 29 just to not conform. If I sign a check, where it reads:

Sign here:
    X______________

Of course, I won't sign next to the "X." I'll sign on the line below it. But, I'll still stay within the box.

I also never participated in organized sports, even though I loved playing them and did all the time. Of course, I always followed the rules, anyway. I just couldn't see myself dressing up in a uniform.

I was also the class clown in school.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    But, naturally, I am very non-conformist down to the smallest things, like, instead of heating something in the microwave for 30 seconds, I'll do 29 just to not conform.
    But you are conforming with all the other people who won't follow the instructions. And anyway they tell you that cooking times for ovens of different wattages vary so you're conforming with those with slightly over-powered microwaves. The only way to really not conform is to put your food in the microwave but never actually turn it on. I would accept that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Right - so let's not do that! I really don't think they have much in common. There were things said in this thread that reminded me of the article, so I posted it saying that it might be way off topic.
    The article was interesting and helps frame what a hipster is and is not.

I think you people are confusing non-conformism with anti-conformism (anarchism). That's like confusing apathy with hate. Non-conformism looks exactly like conformism when it happens to suit the non-conformist.

Alright, here's a good example: tattoos. A non-conformist will get a tattoo if it suits him/her, not because it's the thing to do. If all the conformists don't get tattoos (current reality), then it's really only anti-conformist to get a tattoo. I don't have any tattoos, but that's because it doesn't suit me to get them, not because I'm a conformist.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    I think you people are confusing non-conformism with anti-conformism (anarchism). That's like confusing apathy with hate. Non-conformism looks exactly like conformism when it happens to suit the non-conformist.

Alright, here's a good example: tattoos. A non-conformist will get a tattoo if it suits him/her, not because it's the thing to do. If all the conformists don't get tattoos (current reality), then it's really only anti-conformist to get a tattoo. I don't have any tattoos, but that's because it doesn't suit me to get them, not because I'm a conformist.
    You can't fool me, you definitely are a conformist, even if you didn't conciously choose to be one

Well...don't confuse idiocy with conformity.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I think my mom did it best with my idiot cousin. he showed up with an ear piercing at a family gathering. I do not recall of he was attention whoring with it or his mom was having a cow about it, but my mom goes to him "if you did because you wanted it, then you are being different. If you did it because everybody else is doing it, you are a follower."
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Banned
    Well...don't confuse idiocy with conformity.
    What about idiocracy

Conformity: Everyone's jumping off of a cliff, so you do it too
    Non-Conformity: Everybody's jumping off of a cliff, but you decide not to
    Idiocy: There's a cliff, you jump off of it and realize on the way down there's no water below and it's a thousand feet above the ground
    Hipster: Everybody's jumping off of a cliff. You proclaim they are all being plebian/pedestrian/bougeoise and proclaim it beneath you, then jump off in a different spot to be ironic. The area everybody else was jumping off was only a few feet above the path that leads to the Starbucks, while where you jumped is a 1000 ft drop. Everybody going to Starbucks claps because you are a hipster who finally took a flying leap, as everybody has told you to do already.
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 11-30-2014 at 10:11 AM. Reason: hipsters-can't live with them, can't shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    But you are conforming with all the other people who won't follow the instructions. And anyway they tell you that cooking times for ovens of different wattages vary so you're conforming with those with slightly over-powered microwaves. The only way to really not conform is to put your food in the microwave but never actually turn it on. I would accept that.
    Normally, I'd reply to you, but that would be conforming to this forum.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Normally, I'd reply to you, but that would be conforming to this forum.
    I think you should reply, but leave one letter out of your sentence.
    <sig out of order>

I think you should reply, but leave one letter out of your sentence.
    This is an ironic reply, as I really do not wan to reply to anyone on this forum, but I am making a statement about your pedestrian conformity and reliance upon corporate masters. Now, excuse me, but Starbucks just called me to pick up my venti Madagascar vanilla chai double latte with whipped cream and sprinkles....sprinkles to be ironic...

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    This is an ironic reply, as I really do not wan to reply to anyone on this forum, but I am making a statement about your pedestrian conformity and reliance upon corporate masters. Now, excuse me, but Starbucks just called me to pick up my venti Madagascar vanilla chai double latte with whipped cream and sprinkles....sprinkles to be ironic...
    Try harder...looks like most other replies on this forum...
    <sig out of order>

Try harder...looks like most other replies on this forum...
    it was intended to be, to make a statement

You left the period off - now we're getting somewhere.
    <sig out of order>

__________________________________ !!!

Hipster: Everybody's jumping off of a cliff.
    You jumped off that cliff before anyone else even heard of it but now it's all mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    What about idiocracy
    Lollers.
    Conformity: Everyone's jumping off of a cliff, so you do it too
    Non-Conformity: Everybody's jumping off of a cliff, but you decide not to
    Idiocy: There's a cliff, you jump off of it and realize on the way down there's no water below and it's a thousand feet above the ground
    Hipster: Everybody's jumping off of a cliff. You proclaim they are all being plebian/pedestrian/bougeoise and proclaim it beneath you, then jump off in a different spot to be ironic. The area everybody else was jumping off was only a few feet above the path that leads to the Starbucks, while where you jumped is a 1000 ft drop. Everybody going to Starbucks claps because you are a hipster who finally took a flying leap, as everybody has told you to do already.
    Lollers.

So why does non-conformity look so much like survival instinct?

So why does non-conformity look so much like survival instinct?
    Indeed. Total non-con-formity is counter-productive. For the most part, you still have to earn money and pay taxes ... keeping political ideologies aside.

I I don't have any tattoos, but that's because it doesn't suit me to get them, not because I'm a conformist.
    I don't have any tattoos because I know that I won't want it a month later (not specifically 30 days, just soon). it's nothing to do with conformity or rebellion. I don't think much about conforming or not conforming, I just go my own way. I don't want to say 'march to my own drummer' but that's the gist.

I was also the class clown in school.
    there was no official vote, but I could've been a contender for class neurotic
    Last edited by davis; 12-01-2014 at 08:09 AM.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Rubbish.

The only way to truly be a non-conformist is to live your life in such a way that there is no correlation between whether other people do something, or whether you do it. For example, listen to the music you like, rather than listening to it because your friends and acquaintances do, or because they don't. Set the microwave timer to the setting you want, 30 seconds if you like, 29 seconds or 31 seconds if you prefer.

The fact that this topic has already gone to three pages says something about people's obsession with the issue. To paraphrase Shakespeare, methinks the board members do protest too much.

Hey, we're just having a chat. Yer the one protesting