Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Squire interview

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    One gets the sense they respect each other as musicians immensely but that they don't hang out together much. I know Steve felt pretty burned by being excluded during the Talk period, and he might hold Chris accountable for some of Yes' less savory business dealings over the years. Anyways, you get the sense he partners with Chris out of love for the music and the band's legacy but the fact that they've never even considered working together outside of Yes over the years speaks volumes.

But clearly they like each other enough to make albums and go on long tours. It seems Jon was the much bigger fly in the ointment for both Steve and Chris -- much more so than each other.
    Yeah, I suspect that they tolerate each other professionally, because they know each needs the other. From just about everything I've read over my 30 years of following Yes, Steve Howe is a major-league prick. Chris probably puts up with it because he knows Steve isn't going away and most fans want him there. And I agree that one thing they probably share in common is that they found working with Jon increasingly difficult, if not impossible. If Jon A. comes back, it would probably be for a limited number of special performances, but as someone else said on this thread, that particular ship has sailed. Some people don't like Jon D., but that's what they get right now. I'd rather see Rabin and Moraz on guitars and keys, but it ain't happening, so I'll take what I can get. I imagine it's the same mindset for Chris -- just getting on with business, in whatever manner works.

An 'armchair quarterback' view...I believe Jon and Rick are genuinely friendly- maybe Steve and Geoff as well. Bill Bruford seems on good enough terms with a few of the members. Otherwise I think it's 'strictly business', to be honest. But it was ever thus, I think.

Personally I feel they've reached an impasse. I personally can't see them getting much further with this current line-up. The new album wasn't received particularly well within their die-hard fanbase (which is all that is buying their new stuff now...same with most other old bands, not just them). How many times can they keep doing 40 year old albums, on which two and sometimes three of this line-up didn't play on originally?
    Last edited by JJ88; 11-16-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Moraz, Eddie Jobson, I'd be happy to be in that club.

Oh wait- I am.

(Not as a player, mind you. The "not cool" part.)
    You can play a little bit too, sir.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Nice read...I learned a few things.

Thanks for posting.

...Best line in the interview....

“Which is why Steve still looks like a fucking stick insect.”......lol
    My exact thoughts. Haven't come across an interview with so much new information in a while. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Don't toy with my emotions, Mr. Squire. We all want Jon Anderson back in the band.
    No, we all certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    If Jon Anderson is available and willing, he should be the singer.
    He may be available and probably willing, but he's just not able anymore:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Squire
    “We had a nice chat. I think we will do something together again – it’s just that he may not be up for full-scale touring.
    Give it up, let it go, time to move on.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I always had my suspicions that Squire dabbled in coke between '73-80ish....never woulda guessed it was Glenn Frey's fault though

Great read, thanks for posting!

Yeah, when I think of cocaine I certainly don't think of the Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Yeah, I suspect that they tolerate each other professionally, because they know each needs the other. From just about everything I've read over my 30 years of following Yes, Steve Howe is a major-league prick. Chris probably puts up with it because he knows Steve isn't going away and most fans want him there. And I agree that one thing they probably share in common is that they found working with Jon increasingly difficult, if not impossible. If Jon A. comes back, it would probably be for a limited number of special performances, but as someone else said on this thread, that particular ship has sailed. Some people don't like Jon D., but that's what they get right now. I'd rather see Rabin and Moraz on guitars and keys, but it ain't happening, so I'll take what I can get. I imagine it's the same mindset for Chris -- just getting on with business, in whatever manner works.
    If you read Bruford's book, it doesn't appear that Steve was the major league prick. But Billy has his moments as well...

Howe is Yes sound and can't be replaced IMO ---I think Squire realizes no one wants to see Yes west again if they did Rabin would be out there playing rather than doing his film score career for years---Howe with Yes and Asia and solo jazz stuff has had a much more vital and successful career--I think Howe has a decent relationship with Squire on some things not on others--nothing great but decent---Bruford and Howe have always been friends--they resect each other and have similar serious temperaments---Squire is a party animal, several wives, drinking and whatever, but the thing Howe and him have in common is the desire to play live and keep Yes music alive---I know they sorta disagree on the need for new music---Squire wants it--Howe is conflicted. Because many groups--even U2 and Bono have said do people want new music really?---or do they just want to see live performances of the great songs? All classic rock bands are going thru this. I like the idea of new music but let's face it--if you ask Yes fans they want to hear Gates not Believe Again live.

I certainly hope for Yes to continue another 30 years or so.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Yeah, when I think of cocaine I certainly don't think of the Eagles.

Glyn Johns was HAPPY to have been fired by the Eagles (back in 1974?) because they were doing SO MUCH coke it was impossible to reason with them. That, and the fact that they were at each other's throats all the time!
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Personally, I'd be glad to see them do Believe Again and Gates at the same show.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

The only way I'd go see Yes again would be if this was the setlist:

The Gates of Delirium
    Sound Chaser
    To Be Over

[break]

The Revealing Science of God
    The Remembering
    The Ancient
    Ritual

Roundabout
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post

The Gates of Delirium
    Sound Chaser
    To Be Over

[break]

The Remembering
    The Ancient
    Ritual

Roundabout
    Well, looks like you're going to be saving some money, then.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post

The Gates of Delirium
    Sound Chaser
    To Be Over

[break]

The Remembering
    The Ancient
    Ritual

Roundabout

I'm not sure they are physically capable of playing those anymore. Particularly Alan...

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Nice read...I learned a few things.

Thanks for posting.

...Best line in the interview....

“Which is why Steve still looks like a fucking stick insect.”......lol
    This coming from the reincarnation of Jabba The Hut

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Thanks for posting the article. What the hell is "homemade acid"?
    Probably made from Morning Glory seeds. Plenty of recipes out there, but the end product is likely somewhat dodgy.

Anybody hear some similarities between Squire and Phil Lesh in style and approach at times? Big tone differences, but the nimbleness, exploratory lines, and melodic counterpoint seems to run amok in both these guys. I've been listening to a bunch of Dead and this has been sticking out for me. Phil is quite excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Anybody hear some similarities between Squire and Phil Lesh in style and approach at times? Big tone differences, but the nimbleness, exploratory lines, and melodic counterpoint seems to run amok in both these guys. I've been listening to a bunch of Dead and this has been sticking out for me. Phil is quite excellent.
    I explored Phil Lesh's work back in the 80s when I almost hooked up with a guy who was a Deadhead who wanted to start a "prog" band. Unfortunately his idea of da prog and mine were very different.

But while I found Phil to be a nimble player, he and Chris Squire are miles apart in terms of their musical instincts. Phil is closer to Jack Bruce, IMO. He's more of a riffing bassist who populates the mid-range of a song. In that he and Squire weren't too far apart. But Squire's choice of notes was a lot more deliberative and designed to be counterpoint to the lead melodies. The Dead never really had the kind of huge melodic themes in their music. It was more about the vibe, and Phil more or less danced around within the chords. Almost like a jazz player, but with a different harmonic vocabulary. Chris Squire was often all about attack and making a bold musical statement with his instrument, whereas Phil was happier to be a pocket guy. Anyways, those were my takeaways.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.