Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Will the success of the new Pink Floyd album have a knock on effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [The problem is that people won't even go beyond the comfort confines of a favorite old band to discover something new in the exact same genre; let alone go beyond that into anything radical and different.]

Yep and this explains why my 84 year old uncle who loves Pink Floyd will never discover Eloy unless I play them for him(and where's the fun in that?). But he's 84(85 in two months)so he has an excuse. What excuse do the rest of the people who like Pink Floyd or Band X have? None that I can think of.
    If your uncle will be 85, that means he was born in 1930. His formative music years should be between 1938 and 1955. That puts him in the Andrews Sisters/Tommy Dorsey Era, and to me, for him to like Pink Floyd would mean he turned on to them at the age of 35 or later. Sounds to me, he was extremely flexible in his tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    If your uncle will be 85, that means he was born in 1930. His formative music years should be between 1938 and 1955. That puts him in the Andrews Sisters/Tommy Dorsey Era, and to me, for him to like Pink Floyd would mean he turned on to them at the age of 35 or later. Sounds to me, he was extremely flexible in his tastes.
    Yes, because one rarely gets to appreciate newly discovered music at that age, right?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

i've never understood the need by some to bemoan a perceived lack of effort\interest by others in continually seeking out new music.

Everybody has different levels of musical interest and general circumstances in life that might hamper or facilitate an aggressive consumption of new stuff all the time.

Even on a relative niche\genre music board like this, you're going to have a significant difference...from the guys who have collected handfuls of new albums every month for the past 40 years, to others who are quite content to stick with the same bands they discovered in youth, or buy new stuff at a far slower pace\have narrower interests.There need be no conflict in that, but for some reason it's a recurring and utterly uninteresting bone of contention on this board.

That was not the point. The point was the opposite; to portray the hunger for discovery something dubious or obsolete or rare and peculiar at the hand of something so altogether trivial as age. People are always coming from somewhere; for whatever reason, some choose to stay put on comfort. It's a different creed.

And a different breed as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM