Thread: Mother Superior

Mother Superior

So I'm reading this:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-seemin...feature_module

And they linked this from Mother Superior:

There's nothing on Wiki about this band and since I've never heard of them figured I'd ask you guys who know everything about everything in the history of history concerning bands such as this.

Not bad, not great, and I'd like to hear you'se guys take on this band.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I know nothing more about them than is written in the CD liner notes, but I'll echo your "not bad, not great". Just nicely melodic, light progressive rock with tendency to slightly jazzy, tinkly keyboard sounds, gauzy vocal harmonies and re-arranging other people's tunes for catchier material. Nothing runaway about them in terms of technique, experimentalism or instrumental development, moderation is the word. I suppose the novelty factor did influence my first expolring this group, but I think the CD was well worth its price.

Nice stuff, I always liked it. They were a UK band who only got to issue a couple of demo acetates in their native country (a friend of mine has one - must be impossibly rare), but then they were picked by Swedish label "Scarlet Music" (a.k.a. SMA) and released the album there. This is the same label that released albums by the good Swedish prog band Lotus (first one more prog, second "Vera O'Flera" more fusion, both very nice).

Have to agree with Kai and Lev. A fine album, nothing extraordinary though. My notes: "Mother Superior's sole output is a fairly typical UK rock album that, oh by the way, just so happens to be an all female group. That novelty aside, this is a pretty decent selection of tunes, with a few progressive instrumental moves, especially the organ/Moog solos and occasional rhythm break. One could see Mother Superior being a UK version of Heart, without the benefit of a big-budget production or major label backing."

I just took a peek at that link. My God that artist's rendering of the Rush concert is hysterical. Lots of great detail in there....

What, no mention of their one and only TV appearance?

Their one and only album was released (originally) only in Sweden! Oops! Bass player Jackie Badger had a blog where she reminisced about her time with MS, but I seem to have misplaced the link. It’s an interesting read.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I believe this is the blog: http://jackiebadgersblog.blogspot.fi/

Heh, didn't know they made it to Finland.

↑Yes, that’s it.

That’s “9 o’Clock” by Steve “Snips” Parsons. Jackie isn’t in the video, but she does play bass on this track (his wife, incidentally).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Thanks. Always count on you guys to fill me in on this stuff that I know nothing about.

I heard they jumped the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Bass player Jackie Badger had a blog where she reminisced about her time with MS, but I seem to have misplaced the link. It’s an interesting read.
    Here you go.
    http://jackiebadgersblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I heard they jumped the gun.
    So awful yet so good. Kudos.