Thread: Convert I-Tunes Library

Convert I-Tunes Library

I would like to know if there is a way to convert my i-tunes library which is in mp3 format to lossless or wav format. I read that lossless is the way to go for the best sound quality. I just got on the i-pod bandwagon and I am just now learning about all the different settings on i-tunes.

Thank You

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I don't think you can go from a lossy format to a lossless one, only the other way. You can convert the files if you want, but what's already lost is lost for good.

Oh you can convert to AIFF or MP4 but you won't gain back any of the data lost to the MP3 format.

On the other hand, if you have an iTunes Match account with Apple they AUTOMATICALLY point your songs to 256kbps versions of the same songs (which is as close to lossless as anyone needs to get) regardless of what format you initially uploaded them in.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Yep, they're right... no free lunch. Once a wave file is reduced in bit rate, it is what it is. I know a lot of people say, "but wait, I can make a CD out of my mp3 file to play on a regular player"... still no more musical data than whatever the original mp3 file was and thus, no better sound quality.

I'd say 256kbps is adequate for a few applications such as personal players, car systems, etc. For quality listening on a decent home rig I'd suggest 320kbps or better.

For any music for which you have a physical copy, you can just re-rip it in a lossless format.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    For any music for which you have a physical copy, you can just re-rip it in a lossless format.
    What all 1500 albums?

Guess I'll stick with what I have right now
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    What all 1500 albums?
    Maybe you need to quit wasting time on Internet forums and get started, then.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Maybe you need to quit wasting time on Internet forums and get started, then.
    hehehe
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.