Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Out of print prog releases on VHS never released on DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    All of this was released on DVD by Greg Walker. Not vet professionally done though (beginning of tracks randomly assigned by software so it's very hard to find a specific song, etc.). There's another ProgFest set on DVD too.
    My guess is each chapter is five minutes long. That seems to be common place with DVD-R releases. I know there's a lot of movies that have come out on DVD, like on Amazon's "On Demand" service that are done that way. Maybe that's how Walker did them, since he perhaps didn't have the budget to do proper DVD mastering with the chapter indexing done at the start of each song, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Laurie Anderson Home of the Brave with Adrian Belew
    This is just insane to me. How has this not been reissued?

“La primera pregunta es: ¿Qué es más macho, pineapple o knife?”

Has the Djam Karet live tape ever been reissued?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Genesis: A History (1991) - never released on DVD as a legit release

Ozrics Live At The Brixton Fridge

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I didn't list it because I'm reasonably sure I saw it on DVD, Chris. Not absolutely certain, though.
    Can we get confirmation on that? I'd love to have that on DVD, but Amazon only lists the VHS release.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Bootleg. Clearly.
    Really? Dagnabit.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I had the videotape that came with the CD once... I know I still have the laserdisc of The Singles File or whatever it's called.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

Can we get confirmation on that? I'd love to have that on DVD, but Amazon only lists the VHS release.
    Their website only shows one DVD, 'Sunrise Festival,' but it has an 02 catalog number.

The recent(ish) re-issue of Erpland contains a bonus DVD of the Fridge show.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    The friggin' holy grail:

Kate Bush-Live at Hammersmith

WTF has this not been released on DVD is a mystery to me. (similarly, why has the "On Stage" EP not been released on CD?)
    Ah, but it has - just not on its own. All the On Stage tracks were included on one of the bonus discs in the This Woman's Work box set back in 1990. FWIW, I agree with you about the Hammersmith VHS - and all those promo videos, too, come to that. I live in hope. Hopefully the planned DVD/blu-ray of the Before The Dawn shows will inspire a reissue programme.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Their website only shows one DVD, 'Sunrise Festival,' but it has an 02 catalog number.
    What about Live at the Pongmaster's Ball? That is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I've always had a soft spot for The Delicate Sound of Thunder, warts and all. Would love to have that on disc.
    I would like that too, though I don't have a soft spot for it, a semi-hard one at the most. I believe there is a pirate version in circulation, transfered from VHS and strectched to 16:9.

I think there was a DVD release "of questionable legality" of the About Face Live show a few years ago.
    David Gilmour London 1984, a 2009 release from Immortal. I don't know about its legality, though Immortal seems to have released many concert recordings of rather average quality and dodgy packaging. I've got this in any case and it seems to be a transfer from VHS, with an annoying drop in sound quality during "Short And Sweet" (actually my main reason for buying this). But I remember seeing other DVD versions of the About Face tour on the market as well.

Pink Floyd Delicate Sound Of Thunder
    Was the Ozric Tentacles video from the early 90's (Live At The Fridge, I think it was called) ever issued on DVD?
    Yes - bonus disc with the Erpland reissue a couple of years back. Even on dvd sound and pic are average. Pongmaster's Ball is a better bet.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HippyDave View Post
    The recent(ish) re-issue of Erpland contains a bonus DVD of the Fridge show.
    I was gonna mention the Snapper bonus DVD. I bought it off Mike Battema's mom.

It's almost unwatchable because the video is so over saturated and blurry, but it's still a great relic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    David Gilmour London 1984, a 2009 release from Immortal. I don't know about its legality, though Immortal seems to have released many concert recordings of rather average quality and dodgy packaging. I've got this in any case and it seems to be a transfer from VHS, with an annoying drop in sound quality during "Short And Sweet" (actually my main reason for buying this). But I remember seeing other DVD versions of the About Face tour on the market as well.
    It's definitely a bootleg. And didn't the original VHS included a After the Floyd feature?

The Butterfly Ball-Roger Glover & Freinds

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Phil Collins Live at Perkins Palace & No Ticket Required

There are full length versions on youtube, but a DVD would be great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JBQW3ZlVwk
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

Asia in Asia.

I had 2 Zappa bootleg VHS tapes of the Halloween '81 MTV simulcast...one was the show actually broadcast (yes, MTV did show real music in their early days), the 2nd the show that was taped but not shown (probably because it contained all the highly critical religious/governmental satire numbers from You Are What You Is and the songs with lyrics that couldn't be shown on tv like Broken Hearts are for Assholes, etc). The Zappa family released the "Torture Never Stops" DVD which I bought the second I saw it expecting to get the entire contents of both shows. Unfortunately, it incorporates most but not all of these 2 shows. Most notably missing is Scott Thunes singing "Trying to Grow a Chin" which segued into "Strictly Genteel" on the MTV broadcast. It's still fantastic, but not complete
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Flang View Post
    It's definitely a bootleg. And didn't the original VHS included a After the Floyd feature?
    It had the Live At The Hammersmith Odeon video, the After The Floyd special that MTV produced, and the videos for Blue Light and All Lovers Are Deranged. After The Floyd is the one where Nick Mason jokingly describes Gilmour's guitar playing as "fumble-y" (I think that's the word he uses), and also rehearsal of Dave and his band playing Mihalis, along with some live footage that was shot, I believe, in Paris. Dave mentions that he didn't mind promoters billing him as "David Gilmour of Pink Floyd" or whatever, because "apart from true aficionados, most people don't know my name is one of the people in Pink Floyd". And there's also this great bit where he's arguing with his manager or whomever about having to do a TV interview with for French television. Oh yeah, and there's the tour bus driver, who is interviewed briefly, referring to Dave as "Pink Floyd's guitarist...or ex-guitarist".

Strangely, the live video of Love On The Air doesn't appear on the VHS release. MTV played it back in the day, and VH-1 Classic was playing it for awhile (until they started getting more...selective, let's say, about what they air). The song presumably was played during the Hammersmith gig, but it doesn't appear as part of that feature, nor does it appear as a promo video. Curious.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 11-14-2014 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Yes - bonus disc with the Erpland reissue a couple of years back. Even on dvd sound and pic are average. Pongmaster's Ball is a better bet.
    Dammit, I have to buy that again?! I'm getting tired of rebuying stuff I already have.

Cardiacs - Seaside Treats

Quote Originally Posted by HippyDave View Post
    Ah, but it has - just not on its own. All the On Stage tracks were included on one of the bonus discs in the This Woman's Work box set back in 1990. FWIW, I agree with you about the Hammersmith VHS - and all those promo videos, too, come to that. I live in hope. Hopefully the planned DVD/blu-ray of the Before The Dawn shows will inspire a reissue programme.
    Also with the videotape (and that one was definitely not a bootleg...alright, maybe not 'definitely', but it sure didn't seem like a bootleg, just very limited). I do have the laserdisc of The Single File, though.