Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Music for Winter?

Loreena McKennitt's To Drive the Cold Winter Away gets a lot of play time around here during the autumn and winter:

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Just because I was listening to it heaviliy when in college and specifically remember the bitter winter cold and snow... Lyle Mays self-titled album. Every time I hear it, it puts me back there.

It' more like Norway here than the Midwest. So, here is my contribution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHs5...4E5CB2&index=4

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    suggestions that capture winter more positively?
    Bon Iver. The guy's voice takes some getting used to, but the music is low-key-lovely and charming in the most perfect way for the season.

Not a song that "captures" winter per the OP's request, but yet another winter-themed song:

And my favorite winter song of all (it helps to understand French):

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Suspended
    Apologies to the OP for not reading the post carefully. My earlier posted clip was somewhat melancholy, to say the least.

This one from Paul Kelly is more reflective than sad, somewhat different from hiis usual style:

Last edited by bob_32_116; 11-14-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I think the opening track from Vangelis' Antarctica score fits this role quite nicely.
    I love the soundtrack from Antarctica. Everyone seems to know of his scores for Bladerunner and Chariots of Fire, but this one seems relatively unknown.

Lots of nice selections posted, here's mine:

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Mentioning Antarctica gave me this ear worm:

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Suspended
    I'm pleased at all these Antarctica-related postings, which may help remind some people on this board that this planet has two hemispheres, and in this hemisphere we are heading into summer, not winter.

If we are in Antartica, I would mention
    Stern Combo Meißen - Der Kampf um den Südpol

Mark Isham--Never Cry Wolf soundtrack (the actual soundtrack is better as it omits the voice overs, plus has other music on it)

A Winter Solstice by various artist on Windham Hill, I don't see as sad, perhaps reflective, contemplative, etc.

George Winston - December

Most Gordon Lightfoot
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Suspended
    Genesis - Fireside Song

Many classical pieces reflect a winter feeling to me. I listen to more classical music in the winter time than anything else. A few obvious ones are:

Ralph Vaughan Williams - Symphony no. 7 Sinfonia Antartica
    Richard Strauss - Eine Alpensinfonie

Years ago I had ordered the new lp of Herbert Von Karajan - Anton Bruckner Symphony no. 3. The cover to the Karajan Bruckner series had a wing in snow, at least that's what it looks like to me. On the way home from the record store it started to snow. I got home and put the record on and listened to it while watching the snow fall. So naturally that recording always reminds me of snow. I can picture the snow falling in the Austrian alps.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    And my favorite winter song of all (it helps to understand French):
    Shame on me for not mentioning that! I adore “En pleine face.” Though I must say, if you learned French anywhere but Canada, you’ll probably still have a hard time understanding it!

Another Antarctica song, which I don’t think has turned up yet:

This one might be tangential, as the first three weeks of December are technically still autumn:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Who could forget Sketch for Winter by the Durutti Column?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaKZZfCWopA

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Who could forget Sketch for Winter by the Durutti Column?
    All the other folks. They never heard (of) the Duruttis in the first place. Sadly.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Many classical pieces reflect a winter feeling to me. I listen to more classical music in the winter time than anything else.
    The quintessential work is probably Schubert's song cycle, "Winterreisse". My father had the record of this and played it frequently. The particular release that he had was unusual in that it consisted of three sides of music on two LPs; the fourth side was blank and smooth, with the centre label reading "DO NOT PLAY THIS SIDE".

The first song in particular evokes the chilly feeling of winter. The words are in German of course, so it helps to have a lyric sheet with translation.