Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yes > Pharrell!

It was a very good piece on him. He thanked his music teachers and stressed that, without them, he would be nowhere. His latest disc is pretty good. It gets some mileage around my family and that's a good thing!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yeah...Shakira wins.
    Sha-who-ra?

Ok, I know who she is, but I didn't know she still existed.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Pharrell was not on my radar until this thread.

Checked him out.

Really nice to know that there are still (a few) new popular money-making musicians who are actually damn good!

Still listening.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Some Prog on The Voice Italy

That rules! ^

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Saw the show (yes, believe or not, I watch "The Voice") and as soon as I saw Farrell wearing the Yes T, I knew it would be headline news at PE. But let's not give him too much credit, it was the artwork from "Union."

I respect him and I know "Happy" and "Get Lucky" are catchy tunes, but if you were a guitar player (like me) and had to play them on gigs (like I do), you might like them less; they're pretty boring unless you're the singer. Still, I'll acknowledge that he's a cool and talented guy.

The most amusing thing to me on that show was that one of the singers sang "Help Me" by Joni Mitchell and Blake Shelton never heard it before and couldn't believe Adam, Farrell and what's-her-name from No Doubt had.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    That rules! ^

BG
    Yeaah, it does. Hearing a young guy with the voice of an air raid siren singing PFM is much more
    impressive than some pop guy wearing a Yes Shirt.

My daughter is getting married later on today, and I'm planning to work the title of an Osanna song into my toast

I deserve props!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

^^

Cool idea, all the best to Your daughter!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    My daughter is getting married later on today, and I'm planning to work the title of an Osanna song into my toast

I deserve props!

BG
    Yay!

I worked, not one, but TWO Riverside songs into my wedding!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Congrats Brian!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Thanks Geez and Hr H

It was a fantastic party

"L'amore vincera di nuovo", (Love will win, again)

I had considered Crimso's "One more red nightmare" but the in-laws are Russian and it might have been taken the wrong way

: )

BG

Man, there's no friggin way Hilary Duff likes ELP. Obviously she has heard of them but I think this is a case of younger folks wearing vintage "rock" shirts to seem cool(definitely a hipster thing). And if she is an ELP fan then where the hell are all the hot young women at the prog festivals and shows I go to!
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Just found this. There's probably other similar sites. http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/fas...mage-number=13
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Just found this. There's probably other similar sites. http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/fas...mage-number=13
    You expect us to believe that you merely stumbled upon Glamour Magazine? Nice try.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You expect us to believe that you merely stumbled upon Glamour Magazine? Nice try.
    And most remember what happened to George Constanza when he read Glamour.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    That's pretty cool! I'm not ashamed to admit that I really like that Happiness song quite a bit.
    you're in good company. robert wyatt is on record (no pun intended) as saying it's a great song: http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...e-robert-wyatt

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    if you were a guitar player (like me) and had to play them on gigs (like I do), you might like them less; they're pretty boring unless you're the singer. Still, I'll acknowledge that he's a cool and talented guy.
    Ha! I get it... Who do you play with?

I think Pharrell and Steven Wilson should team up. SW might make a happy cd for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I think Pharrell and Steven Wilson should team up. SW might make a happy cd for once.
    Only if SW is really Lucky.