Page 64 of 362 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 9044

Thread: NP

Allan Holdsworth - Then!
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Mystery - Delusion Rain

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Soft Machine - Alive & Well-Recorded in Paris an underrated record, especially the Esoteric release.

Mats/Morgan
    Shack Tati
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Stern-Combo Meissen Weißes Gold
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    XTC - Nonsuch
    Great album; can never decide if it or "Oranges and Lemons" is my favorite XTC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Hey No Pride what a lucky man you are! I guess that it was one of your most awesome musical experience that you'll cherish forever... And certainly your father had so many great historical facts to tell you from the classical world, and I suppose very few manage to be for so much time in such a great orchestra!
    I didn't really appreciate it until I was about 18 and finally admitted to myself that classical music is great. My dad wrote and published a memoir called "The Symphonic Paradox" by Sam Denov. I think you can find it at Amazon. As for Brahms, I fell in love with his music when I took choir in college and we spent a whole semester working on his German Requiem, concluding with a performance with the college orchestra.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    Allan Holdsworth - Then!
    Love that album! Allan and his band are on fire throughout! I'd say it's his best live album if it wasn't for Alan Paqua's amazing keyboard solos on the Holdsworth/Pasqua Band's "Blues For Tony."

National Health - Of Queues and Cures

Weather Report - I Sing The Body Electric
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I didn't really appreciate it until I was about 18 and finally admitted to myself that classical music is great. My dad wrote and published a memoir called "The Symphonic Paradox" by Sam Denov. I think you can find it at Amazon. As for Brahms, I fell in love with his music when I took choir in college and we spent a whole semester working on his German Requiem, concluding with a performance with the college orchestra.
    Thanks a lot for sharing it No Pride! It's a fascinating reading, I'm sure of that, the next week I'm going to look for it in some local library shop. I've been googling it and am happy to easily find info about it, so I found out in Wiki that indeed Reiner’s precise and economic interpretations and direction technique almost always led to personally abusive autocratic methods in the fifties and sixties. I guess that that whole issue refered to in the book began with him. On the other hand, Igor Stravinsky called the Chicago Symphony under Reiner "the most precise and flexible orchestra in the world", obviously (imo) a quite subjective statement, as it will all depend on the specific approach given by the conductor to each composer. Again, I'm happy to know a bit more about this fascinating world of the Classical Music
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

So excited with my favourite Christmas acquisition that I second what the first title says: "Great Recording of the Century!"
    MI0001138971.jpg

Tchaikovsky Symphony Nr.4 - Sir Thomas Beecham - RPO 1957/58
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

New from Marco Minnemann-
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

After Crying - Megalazottak es megszomoritottak

Suspended
    Genesis - ...And Then There Were Three

RJD-style female vocals on Dio medley

Female vocals on Deep Purple's Burn

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    I found out in Wiki that indeed Reiner’s precise and economic interpretations and direction technique almost always led to personally abusive autocratic methods in the fifties and sixties. I guess that that whole issue refered to in the book began with him. On the other hand, Igor Stravinsky called the Chicago Symphony under Reiner "the most precise and flexible orchestra in the world", obviously (imo) a quite subjective statement, as it will all depend on the specific approach given by the conductor to each composer. Again, I'm happy to know a bit more about this fascinating world of the Classical Music
    My dad (R.I.P.) had a lot of good Reiner stories. Though nobody in the orchestra liked him much personally, practically everybody agreed that he was a great conductor. I believe my dad thought he was the best he ever worked with... and he worked with many of them. Reiner liked to mess with individuals just to see if they could take it and just about everybody got their turn in the hot seat. He did have a good (if sarcastic) sense of humor though. Here's one of my favorite Reiner stories:

They were going to be playing Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" and one of the percussionists walked into Reiner's office with a shotgun and a pail and asked him if he'd like to use it for the cannon blasts in the piece. Reiner replied, "No, the music is noisy enough as is and besides... I don't trust you."

"Under the Ice" - Nazz

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    My dad (R.I.P.) had a lot of good Reiner stories. Though nobody in the orchestra liked him much personally, practically everybody agreed that he was a great conductor. I believe my dad thought he was the best he ever worked with... and he worked with many of them. Reiner liked to mess with individuals just to see if they could take it and just about everybody got their turn in the hot seat. He did have a good (if sarcastic) sense of humor though. Here's one of my favorite Reiner stories:

They were going to be playing Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" and one of the percussionists walked into Reiner's office with a shotgun and a pail and asked him if he'd like to use it for the cannon blasts in the piece. Reiner replied, "No, the music is noisy enough as is and besides... I don't trust you."
    So cool to hear that trivia No Pride, thanks!
    Fortunately I could feel F. Reiner's great interpretations on some of his recordings that I have, the '56 one of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No.2 with Arthur Rubinstein at the piano is a good example of that, and cool to know that your father was right there as one of the percusionists
    I wish you a merry Christmas and a New Year plentiful of great realizations!

White Willow - Signal to Noise

Here to stay - Korn

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    http://petererskine.com/liner-notes-...nes-customers/

I have the physical copy, but this is a more convenient way to read liner notes these days.