Page 176 of 362 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186226276 ... LastLast
Results 4,376 to 4,400 of 9032

Thread: NP

From the excellent new release from Crayola Lectern-Happy Endings.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It's nice, Walt.

Tonight's menu:

I've been on a little Country Rock kick lately, and have picked up some CD reissues accordingly...

Michael Murphy -Blue Sky* Night Thunder It's a shoert album (35 min,) but it's quite good. Kinda hard to believe that this was a one hit wonder and not a classic.

Eagles -Hotel California Their best album, and one of the best of the 70s, regardless of genre.

Johnny Coppin -Borderlands OK I can only take so much Country element, so this is a 2014 CD from Decameron alum Johnny Coppin. I was expecting some way too glossy release like so many of the old guard do these days, but no...It's immaculately produced. On top of that, it's an absolute corker of a disc. Not good, but great, both in performance and writing. It's Folk, not Prog or Psych, but if you are a fan of English Folk, you need this. You really do.

Bad Religion -The Gray Race I needed to Rock out a bit, and so went with my favorite Punk Rock band. Not their best album, but still great.

Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste

Caterina Barbieri,live.Modular synth.

Tonight's non-generic menu:

ExCubus -Memoires Incubussiennes Not as good as I was hoping. The disc is half 70s and half then current (2008,) and it's not particularly ornate or intricate. Pretty MOR.

Opus Avantra -Lord Cromwell Plays Suite For Seven Vices OK. It never really takes off, and while it isn't a turn off, it never really grabs hold either. Some spoken word sections really flop too.

Jose Luis Fernandez Ledesma -Al Filo This isn't really Prog-Rock, and it tends toward a cinematic soundtrack-almost ambient thing, but it's very interesting on it's own merits. It never takes off, but you don't expect it to, and it's dark, moody, haunting and goes places that are worth exploring. I can't rave about it, but this is really nice for what it is.

Red Jasper -777 OK, this one I thought might be generic, after their last album, The Great And Secret Show, but, while still without Davey Dodds, and not up to the par of their 2 late 90s Folky Prog-Rock albums, this is very, very good. Firmly in the so-called Neo-Prog style, this album has very good songs that I'll have no trouble latching onto. Best of the night, as it turns out, and a big surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Red Jasper -777 OK, this one I thought might be generic, after their last album, The Great And Secret Show, but, while still without Davey Dodds, and not up to the par of their 2 late 90s Folky Prog-Rock albums, this is very, very good. Firmly in the so-called Neo-Prog style, this album has very good songs that I'll have no trouble latching onto. Best of the night, as it turns out, and a big surprise.
    Well, I was not expecting that. I'm generally not a neo-prog listener these days, but good songs are good songs regardless of genre. Might have to check this one out.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Well, I was not expecting that. I'm generally not a neo-prog listener these days, but good songs are good songs regardless of genre. Might have to check this one out.

Thanks for the info.
    Yep. But like me, if they hadn't done quality work at some point, you likely wouldn't have been inclined to give a serious listen. That was the draw for me.

Henry Gwiazda

Colosseum - Theme for a Reunion

Odin Dragonfly - Offerings

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Yang - Les Deux Mondes - from A Complex Nature
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

https://ropeadopeselect.bandcamp.com/album/dystopia

Reminds me of Jaga Jazzist, Secret Chief 3 . . .

MOOP (Poitiers, France)
    https://moopercrew.bandcamp.com/releases

William Brandy : sax baryton
    Maxime Roger : sax baryton
    Julien Coupet : guitare
    Erwin Toul : batterie

Cliff Martinez (& Gregory Tripi): The Knick (Season 1 and 2):

Mike Rutherford - Smallcreep's Day

Phil Collins - Both Sides

Allen Ravenstine

Riverside 02 Panic Room - From Rapid Eye Movement
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Tonight's abbreviated menu, all first listens:

Garden Wall -The Seduction Of Madness This is always billed as a mixture of Avant-Prog and Metal, and while the Metal is certainly there, and I hear Prog elements, I'm not really getting the Avant. The vocals are dismal, and at times could be called singing no more than most Hip Hop albums. Musically, there's a Prog-Rock take on Speed Metal going on much of the time, but as that's not my thing, I can't enthuse. 2 stars out of 5.

Paikappu -same This was lauded quite heavily on the internet in the last decade by some Prog-Rock fans, but since they were Jazz heads, I pretty much dismissed it, having been burnt by internet acclaim more than once. Anyway, mistake on my part. I've been missing out, as this is a great instro Prog-Rock album. At the time this album was getting internet love, I didn't realize that the music was from the early-mid 80s, not the time of it's release in the early 90s. The album is varied, in moods, textures and tempos, and is not Jazzy, as I discern the term. It's not Symph either, perhaps falling into that wonderful between-the-stools instrumental Prog-Rock thing done by bands like Noetra and Ensemble Nimbus. Anyway, top shelf stuff and highly recommended. I dare say, it's among the best Prog-Rock ever to come out of Japan, and is essential if you're a fan of the genre. Kudos to Mauro. Get it.

Grobschnitt - History of Solar Music - Volume 1

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking