Thread: Flying Lotus's YOU'RE DEAD - prog hip-hop?!?!

Flying Lotus's YOU'RE DEAD - prog hip-hop?!?!

Really.

Not conventional symph-prog, of course, not anything like it. But it's definitely progressive. And the musical language often comes close, even if the underlying aesthetic tends to be quite different. For starters, this is primarily an album of short bits - some 19 tracks, some of them only a few seconds long - that all add up to one extended suite. Nothing lasts for very long, unlike traditional prog, yet the whole thing seems to make a single complete statement, quite a bit like traditional prog. More than a few guest stars make appearances, including both ones you'd expect, such as Snoop Dogg (who sounds stoned out of his gourd), and ones you wouldn't, such as Herbie Hancock and Jeff Lynne.

The overall sound of it often comes close to jazz fusion, but not exactly the type we're familiar with. It deals far more in textures and tight structures than extended soloing: Many tunes began as extracts from jams between Flying Lotus (Steven Ellison, on keys, production, and drum programming) and Thundercat (Stephen Bruner, on bass), then Ellison and guest players added short flurries of keyboards, guitar, sax, and strings like blowing leaves whirling in and out, and finally he pieced the whole thing together in the studio. In this kind of music, the production IS the composition, and you can't really separate one from the other.

All the jump-cuts give it a slight kinship with such early John Zorn work as Spillane or some of the Naked City albums. Once in a while, it also sounds a bit like the Hatfields with ADD, which may not be a surprise when you consider what Ellison was listening to:

Q: "What influences were at work behind the album?"

A: "The Soft Machine’s “Volume Two” inspired me heavily. That record just feels like it was all done in the same breath. It’s genius, and it’s silly at times. But I love the fact that every time I listen to it, I listen from the beginning and want to play it out. Another one was “The Aura Will Prevail,” by George Duke. Me and Thundercat would drive around and play that record like some people play Juicy J."
    He's also been quoted as saying that he wanted to make an album that would have impressed Miles. I can just imagine it: [Miles voice] "That Flyin' Lotus muthafucka, he's a muthafuckin' muthafucka!"
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 11-12-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Totally loving this album! I'd heard a few bits of the previous few records, but this one has blown me away. Thanks to Mike Keneally for posting the Never Catch Me vid on twitter a while back, which is what first made me check it out further. Amazing to know that Softs Vol 2 played a part in this! I'm less surprised by the Aura Will Prevail, seeing as Thundercat did a cover version of For Love (I Come your Friend).

Also reminds me of an earlier WARP records artist called Prefuse 73, that also do loads of really short segued tracks and are also right on that intersection between Hip Hop/Jazz Fusion and Prog. Oh, and the artwork for You're Dead is pretty stunning too.
    Matt.

If you go to the full Vol 2 album on YouTube you'll see some people who are checking it out because of this.

Prog strikes again!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I have the prior Flying Lotus album here somewhere. It never really gripped me that much. Maybe I should give "You're Dead" a shot though, as some of your descriptions do sound rather interesting. Pretty sure I've heard Prefuse 73 as well.

Another one that might be of interest to some of you folks is Rustie's album Glass Swords.

Still...when I think progressive rap, I usually find myself drifting back to the wonderful, burnt-out ashtray and gutted speaker vibe on Dalek's platters.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    Thanks to Mike Keneally for posting the Never Catch Me vid on twitter a while back, which is what first made me check it out further.
    Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXD0vv-ds8

Incidentally, the two guys you see near the beginning sitting in the pew, right after the shot of the lady in the hat, are Flying Lotus (short hair, angular face) and Thundercat (longer hair, round face).

Wow! Amazing! Love the bass tone. Damn.

Some of my favourite bass drum ever towards the end of that track I love how delicate and restrained the mastering is on this album too....

That's Kendrick Lamar rapping on that track. His last album, good kid, m.A.A.d. city, is the best concept album to come out in years.

I'm not remotely kidding about that.

From the OP I thought I'd hate this so I figured I'd go listen to a few minutes and then come back and say how much I hated this.

Funny thing is, I only got two minutes of the album. 50 minutes of silence after the first two minutes, which wasn't bad. I abhor rap, hip-hop or whatever you want to call it as it all sounds the same to me (hence why I figured I'd hate it) but this was kinda cool and bloody Youtube or the uploader screwed it up.

Figures. I'll try again some day as the second song was titled Tesla and any mention of that cool dude intrigues me.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I met Lotus through Brendon Small (who's also on the new album) and found out that Lotus is a Gentle Giant fan - I hear at least one section in the new album (which I love) that sounds somewhat influenced thereby

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    I met Lotus through Brendon Small (who's also on the new album) and found out that Lotus is a Gentle Giant fan - I hear at least one section in the new album (which I love) that sounds somewhat influenced thereby
    I've heard that before, and somehow I'm not that surprised; there are surprisingly many fans of progressive rock music amongst certain branches of the hip-hop community. I know a considerable number of Scandinavian "prog" musicians who have also dwelled in hop/trip/drum'n'bass-terrain.

I never really thought of Flying Lotus as anywhere near squarely hip-hop, though. His work is even further from traditional or "stereotypical" hip-hop than, say, ClouDDead or Dälek (both of whom are great, IMO).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    That's Kendrick Lamar rapping on that track. His last album, good kid, m.A.A.d. city, is the best concept album to come out in years.

I'm not remotely kidding about that.
    I've just given it a listen. I don't own a single hip-hop album, just things like Lotus that get pretty close. But yeah, this is very good...especially the 12 min track near the end. I'll certainly grab a copy.

Matt.

Gonjasufi is also another artist of interest to those liking Flying Lotus.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Is this Prog???

The Prog Corner

chalkpie
    I originally passed on this thread due to the "hip hip" tag, but the Hatfield/Soft Machine influence is sucking me in like a new Dyson.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Is this Prog???
    Well, that depends on whether Roine Morse-Steve Will Nelson are involved and if it's on Kscope or InsideOut. THEN it is.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Interesting, must explore, thanks guys
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

This is a cool album but it's completely ridiculous that the vinyl edition - all 39 minutes of it - was released as a double LP with about 10 minutes of music per side.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I originally passed on this thread due to the "hip hip" tag, but the Hatfield/Soft Machine influence is sucking me in like a new Dyson.
    Ever heard this?

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Ellison's a very cool, genre-bending artist . . .

Some cats dragged me to a live show of his a few years back . . . never expected anything of that caliber. A fan since then . . .

I spun "You're Dead" at a recent absinthe party here . . . everyone was really diggin' it . . .

Batts: will check out Dalek tonight . . . thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    Batts: will check out Dalek tonight . . . thanks.
    To be fair, 'Black Smoke' isn't the most representative of their sound...it is almost more like sound/art collage. Most of their material does have beats (albeit from fairly dark/noisy origins).

They did a collab with Faust a few years back that was pretty damned swanky too. And their last(ish) release 'Untitled' on Latitudes is a gorgeous piece of abstract art, mostly instrumental but bookended with some haunting prose.

Nice album! May we call it prog-hop?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I think he's related to Alice Coltrane (gran? Aunty?) so it's in the gene

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    To be fair, 'Black Smoke' isn't the most representative of their sound...it is almost more like sound/art collage.
    Yes, but I still think that's their best album.