Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Beardfish album!

The new album is 1 CD but the limited edition has a bonus CD which is a compilation of older tracks that never appeared on any Beardfish album.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Thanks for the response LeFrog, at least someone was kind enough to give me an answer! So it is the 2CD version for me

My first impressions after streaming it. Don't know exactly why but I didn't like what I heard. It sounded somewhat forced and not flowing naturally. I'll try once more though...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    My first impressions after streaming it. Don't know exactly why but I didn't like what I heard. It sounded somewhat forced and not flowing naturally. I'll try once more though...
    Listen to it more. I think it deserves it. I'm not saying anything about growing or something like that.
    As I said previously, I think it's interesting but uneven.

i have only listen twice to it yet,so its to early to say what i think of it,but its interesting enough to give it more listens,so time will tell

THe album is great several listens in. This may be their strongest since Destined Solitaire or at least Mammoth for me. Killer music all around. The Epic is great too. My favorite tune so far is Ode to the Rock'n'Roller.
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

yes now i have listen to it several times and i like it, it is not as good as sleeping in traffic 2 (my fav from beardfish) but its still a very good record imho

It is very good. A lot of really good pop moments.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

first impression is that drum kit isn't as crystal clear as on Void. Bass is high up in the mix and is very agressive too. That is a bonus of course

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    THe album is great several listens in. This may be their strongest since Destined Solitaire or at least Mammoth for me. Killer music all around. The Epic is great too. My favorite tune so far is Ode to the Rock'n'Roller.
    "Ode to the Rock 'N Roller" is a great tune and the rest of the record is growing on me. I like it a lot more than the last one, that's for sure!!!
    The Prog Corner

The title track is, I think, perhaps the best thing they have ever done. Certainly one of the most emotional Beardfish tunes at least.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    The title track is, I think, perhaps the best thing they have ever done. Certainly one of the most emotional Beardfish tunes at least.
    I totally agree. They can do great melodic songs, but they often ruin the mood by throwing in a quirky section. When they keep things in check, they're at their best, IMO.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Consider this a bump.

New album is settling in very nicely.

"Hold On": anthem stadium rock fun but with Beardfish twists.
    "Comfort Zone": agreed that this is one of the most emotional Beardfish songs ever. Zackrisson shines playing simply and then having the huge guitar moment toward the end. Zackrisson has some really stellar moments throughout the album, in fact. Some of his best playing. Ends with the lyric "like a worn out song from the '70s / Will it ever go off the air?" Which transitions into . . .
    "Can You See Me Now?": which sounds like Beardfish playing Queen but not in a worn out way.
    "King": first real rocker recalling the heavier moments from The Void but minus some of the anger. The lyrics, however, reveal Rikard's anger at perverted power, a central theme in Beardfish's music (?). But the weakest track on the album.
    "The One Inside": very simple and very effective. A nice contrast to "King." Lyrically it seems to be a preview for "If We Must Be Apart."
    "Daughter/Whore": another rocker and more angry lyrics. But nothing as angry as themes that appeared on The Void.
    "If We Must Be Apart": another strongly emotional tune. Great keys throughout. The rhythm section seems especially tight on this one.
    "Ode to the Rock N' Roller": for the second album in a row, the big showcase piece is slightly undercut by a silly kind of song (though I like this much better than The Void's "Where the Lights Are Low."
    "The One Inside: Part Three": a bit of a throwaway? Thematically important but after the showstopper that is "If We Must Be Apart," this one is a little flat.

A few observations:
    Rikard plays a lot less piano on this. Consider "Note" from the last album. I wonder if he did most of the composition for this one on guitar.
    But . . . I think he plays less guitar on this one, too. At least there's more keyboard heavy tunes where clearly Zackrisson is playing lead.
    The simple songs are really effective. It's nice to see the band scale it back sometimes.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I'm loving it. Have only listened to the bonus disc once so no real sense yet.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Got it last week and listened to disc one several times. It's as good as their early work with slight hints of past records. Some genuine classics on this one, like the title track.
    Disc two is fun and the accompanying booklet is great fun to read as well.
    A winner!
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

i have played trough the whole album more then 10 times now,and it might be my fav release from beardfish,love it

Still working on this one. Ive started it twice but couldn't get through the whole thing.......it's the "screaming" vocals........
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I have to say I am going to be circumspect about getting any new Beardfish releases in the future.
    They are clearly pandering to a larger audience of metalproggers (even though the guitar isnt OVERLY metal.)

First half of "The Void" was clearly them going in a different direction.

The heart of Beardfish was Rikard's organ work. When they move into guitar-orientated cds, they are taking a risk of losing a portion of their fanbase - but likely this risk will pay off since seemingly there is a new metalprog band born every frigging day of the week.

The new cd is much like the "Void" - the first half. The first three sides of the 2lp set holds little interest for me( with exception of the "Comfortzone" track.) But the remainder is the OLD Beardfish I love. Specifically the 15 min. "Ode to RnRoller" track.

Also they are clearly pimping to the hoi polloi in that ,not only is the music getting more malevolent ,but so are the lyrics - nevermind that its TOO VERBOSE as well. The theme of this cd as outlined by Rikard himself is all about negativity and fighting the norm, fighting society trying to brand the youth. (Ho-hum juniorstuff.Done to death. )

And what's with the "King" track? The tune is clearly stolen note-for-note from somewhere else (although I cant pin it down - maybe Black Sabbath?)

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Specifically the 15 min. "Ode to RnRoller" track.
    This mistake has popped up several times in the thread. Apparently tracks 8 and 9 are misnamed on some versions of the album.
    Track 8 is Ode to the Rock n Roller (7 minutes or so) and track 9 is If We Must Be Apart (15 minutes).

The new cd is much like the "Void" - the first half.
    I don't think there's anything on this album that's nearly as heavy, dark and angry as the first half of The Void. I didn't like The Void because of this but I don't hear it here at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I don't think there's anything on this album that's nearly as heavy, dark and angry as the first half of The Void. I didn't like The Void because of this but I don't hear it here at all.
    That's my view as well. Although I haven't yet decided how I feel about this album overall or how it stacks up against the others.
    <sig out of order>

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    The heart of Beardfish was Rikard's organ work. When they move into guitar-orientated cds, they are taking a risk of losing a portion of their fanbase
    Hmm, have you heard the first album "Fran en plats du ej kan se"?
    Rikard playing guitar mostly with some added keyboards, mostly by Stefan Aronsson. There's even some growling to be found on the album.
    I don't think the heavier stuff on the new album is that much different actually. More modern perhaps. Different way of recording?
    I became a real "fan" after hearing The Gooberville Ballroom Dancer. No keyboards there (only some efx)... Yes, I love Rikard's keyboard playing, but I also really love what he does on guitar.
    And don't forget that bass! It's all about the bass I heard recently. The bass is great on the new one. Robert Hanson is getting better with every new album IMO.

HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

I have to say I am going to be circumspect about getting any new Beardfish releases in the future.
    Same feeling here. The newer releases don't resonate with me the way their earlier ones did.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Anyone seen this shirt? Brilliant...

http://i.imgur.com/esqgF.jpg
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I jumped ship after Sleeping In Traffic Pt2, really didn't find anything to like in any of the albums that came after... that is until this new one. After reading how disappointed some were with this new one, especially fans of the previous three albums, I felt I should investigate. Turns out this new one plays like a proper follow-up to Sleeping In Traffic Pt1 (a favourite of mine). I really like this album, even if one of the songs seem to be taking a swipe at me.