Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Samla / Zamla Thread!

All around the world. On land and in the sea.

A Samla / Zamla Thread!

Ian C (Nogbad) posted this on the Cardiacs thread and it broke off into a general discussion of all things 'funny' music. So let's talk all things Samla / Zamla! Loved their quirky Canterbury-ish early years and their more avant, keyboard driven later years. First time I heard them, I thought they were the Swedish Mothers (heck even vocally they sound a bit like Flo and Eddy!), but their later stuff had a lot more attitude. Of course, I love both periods!

Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

I only have a passing familiarity with this band, so I'm posting to subscribe to this thread.
    Listening to the above clip now.

Awesome band, one of my all-time favorites, and like you, I love all their incarnations. Favorites are "Maltid" from the early years (sorry, no umlauts on my keyboard), "Familjesprickor" from ZMM and the posthumous live "1983" album from Von Zamla. The odd one out is "Snorugarnas Symfoni" with G.A. Fitzpatrick, which I personally always compared to Supersister's "Iskander" - a more serious work from the band known for their quirky, fun songs. It's still very good, just different.

I was lucky to catch them live in Moscow twice in 2003 and 2005 (I believe). Both shows among the best I've ever attended. First time was special, because, like with Cardiacs in London's Astoria, I haven't heard a single note of their music prior to going there! This was pre-Youtube, and it was hard to sample stuff back then. Naturally, I was fully converted by the time they finished the first composition (although they tended to play them as medleys, so this may have been a few compositions, not just one). I particularly remember the song called "Odet" - they did not introduce it so I did not know its title and kept buying their CDs in hope that I recognize it there, which I finally did on the bonus track to the aforementioned "1983" CD.

The second time they played Moscow it was on our short-lived prog festival run by my friends. A bigger club, and the audience (including myself) knew the band unlike the first show which was not advertised anywhere, so there were mostly just folks who use to spend evenings in that club in attendance (half of them were out after the first couple of songs - they kept asking, who the fuck are these crazy guys?). It was great too, and even some footage remained:

I know they were filming the entire show, and there were talks about releasing a DVD, but Lars Hollmer passed away soon, and that never materialized. Too bad, 'cause it was a wonderful concert. The interesting bit is that Yoshida Tatsuya arrived from Japan, and the rest of the guys came from Sweden at the day of the show after not having seen each other or played together for a year or something like that (the details tend to get blurry after all these years). They did not have time to rehearse, so when they got on stage, the first 15 or 20 minutes they were just goofing around, playing snippets of songs and laughing out loud. It looked and sounded a bit weird, but then it became clear that they are just warming up trying to remember their parts and regain their stage chemistry! Finally that was over, and they burst into music that you can hear on the video above. Amazing band, amazing memories.

just in case it goes private
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Klossa Knapitatet and Familjesprickor feature among the "prog" albums I've played the most. I still think they are both scorchingly fantastic records sporting out-of-this-world performance and writing, tremendous production values and an atmosphere which completely transcends the 'fun' tag although taht's definitely an essential part of their expression. I love Måltid and Kaka and Zamlaranamma as well, and I think No Make Up! is one of the most underrated progressive albums of the 80s. Even the 1971 debut has its odd moments.

Snorungarnas Symfoni is great as well, although a more uneven affair than their regular releases (seeing how they didn't write it themselves). I also think Schlagerns Mystik/För Äldre Nybegynnare is a very peculiar release, including the over-the-top free improvs. Of course you somehow HAVE to enjoy your zaneytunes to really appreciate that one, but they were truly amazing at cooking up spontaneously melodic ideas from seemingly out of nothing. I really envy those who for whatever reason still haven't discovered SZamla. You're in for a defining treat.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have all their albums but prefer all the incarnations with a Z. A little less funny, a little more complex. Eino Haapalas guitar is also more interesting in my ears than Coste.

But I love this track from the S band

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    and I think No Make Up! is one of the most underrated progressive albums of the 80s.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 11-11-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Side one from FamilyCracks on the way to school today - killer!!
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    My favorites are probably Familjesprickor, Klossa Knapitatet and 1983, followed by Maltid. I need to get the rest at some stage. I saw copies at RIO this year from Japan but they they were priced a bit too high for me.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I am very happy I was able to see them on their one and only US tour at Progday 2003 (THANK YOU, McFee - you'll always have a spot under my sun shelter at Progday for that). Also saw Lars play once with a very large group at Edgefest and once in a short, solo, private concert in the Chickenhouse.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr6LihIAGRw

Live Stockholm (Mariahissen) 1979-03-21

Eino Haapala Guitar
    Hasse Bruniusson Drums Song
    Lars Hollmer Piano, Organ, song
    Lars Krantz Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I am very happy I was able to see them on their one and only US tour at Progday 2003 (THANK YOU, McFee - you'll always have a spot under my sun shelter at Progday for that).
    Very much this

My first and still hands-down favorite of theirs is Familjesprickor. Love the holy hell out of that album.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Very much this

My first and still hands-down favorite of theirs is Familjesprickor. Love the holy hell out of that album.
    You were there too Battman? I was there! How come we didn't do group hugs and snuggles?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    You were there too Battman? I was there! How come we didn't do group hugs and snuggles?
    I was too much of a dick
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Von Zamla - Harujänta (with Berckmans from Univers Zero on oboe and bassoon)

Eino Haapala on guitar, Michel Berckmanns on bassoon and oboe, Wolfgang Salomon of MUNJU on bass, Marten Tiselius on drums and percussion, Hans Loelv on keyboards and Lars Hollmer on keyboards and accordion.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 11-11-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Samla Mammas Manna (or Zamla) at Progday: Joosan Lost:

Samla / Zamla played ProgDay? How cool is that!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Samla Mammas Manna (or Zamla) at Progday: Joosan Lost:
    Oh that is just lovely to see. Thanks so much for that

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I am very happy I was able to see them on their one and only US tour at Progday 2003 (THANK YOU, McFee - you'll always have a spot under my sun shelter at Progday for that).
    I remember it was very obvious you were having a good time, Steve. That was literally my first time hear Samla. I think I bought Dear Mammas a few weeks later, and Iv'e got a couple of the other albums. Must get more. I did download a few shows that were up on Dimeadozen a few years ago, though.

chalkpie
    For those of you that care to participate, how would you personally rank the Samla albums?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie
    For those of you that care to participate, how would you personally rank the Samla albums?
    Maltid
    Familjesprickor
    No Make Up
    Klossa Knapitatet
    Zamlanaramma
    Snorugarnas Symfoni
    Kaka
    S/t
    For Aldre Nybegynnare / Schlagerns Mystik

In the list above the first 8 are all fantastic, only the last two have lesser appeal for me (although they have their moments as well).

Those I like the most

No Make Up - avant (With Berckmans from UZ and the bassplayer from Munju) and NEVER relased on CD which is insane.
    Zamlanaramma - avant (with 2 guys from Albert Marceour)
    Familjesprickor - densly composed, reminds me somewhat of GG although it doesnt
    1983 - the above albums live
    For Aldre Nybegynnare / Schlagerns Mystik - 2 albums, one is proggish, the other probably requires some swedish language skills to get the full pleasure

Next:
    These are more folky, jazzrock'ish and silly
    Måltid
    Klossa Knapitatet
    Same
    Kaka
    Snorungarna

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm glad I got that boxed set when Steve compelled us to!

I only have MAltid and Klossa Knapitatet. Man what a killer band/bands. i need to get more, this thread rules!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    I only have MAltid and Klossa Knapitatet. Man what a killer band/bands. i need to get more, this thread rules!
    This reminds me, I need to get Klossa at some point.

colouratura.bandcamp.com