Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Samla / Zamla Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    There's no need to rip the DVD -there was a CD that came out first that you can still get on discogs for 15euros. Not exactly the same, but the same songs.
    Also Vendeltid can be had as part of the two CD set for around 30 euros -considering you get three complete albums (all good) this isn't too much. http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1352745?ev=rb
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll check that out.
    <sig out of order>

I just listened to 1983 again a couple nights ago. Fantastic stuff!
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I just listened to 1983 again a couple nights ago. Fantastic stuff!
    Yes, this is as good a Zamla live record anyone could have wanted even during their tenure itself. Hail the grand master Steve F. for this one.

This one as well...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I had the pleasure of seeing them in NY at I think The Knitting Factory. Wonderful band and show.

chalkpie
    Just listened to "Långt ner i ett kannihål (liten tuva stjälper ofta stort lass)"......great great tune!

It's been ages since I spun No Makeup!, and seeing how it's not likely ever to reach CD format, I'll have to acquaint myself with it all over again. I'm so glad I got this back when it was still fairly easy to find...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

One of their best IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It's been ages since I spun No Makeup!, and seeing how it's not likely ever to reach CD format, I'll have to acquaint myself with it all over again. I'm so glad I got this back when it was still fairly easy to find...
    Agreed. I got a nice vinyl copy back in the mid-late '80s.

Just listened to 1983 a few days ago. Great album AFAIC. Samla/Zamla is still unfolding for me, for which I am grateful.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    I particularly remember the song called "Odet" - they did not introduce it so I did not know its title and kept buying their CDs in hope that I recognize it there, which I finally did on the bonus track to the aforementioned "1983" CD.
    It's also on "Schlagerns Mystik". A strange album. A collection of short childrens ditties and an epic prog instrumental.

I listened to "1983" after a (too) long time and liked it even more. "Ten Tango" is my fav song. It also got me interested in Munju which I should investigate in. Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    It also got me interested in Munju which I should investigate in. Any recommendations?
    For a mix of krauty progressive and fusion you can't go wrong with High-Speed Kindergarten or Moon You. If you are interested in an oddball hybrid of new wave (NDW) and RIO, then proceed to Brot + Spiele.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Munju is definetely worth investigating. On the last album Michael Berckmans from Univers Zero blows the bassoon.
    None of their albums are CD'fied, but on the homepage http://www.munjumusic.com/ you can send an email to the guitarist who now lives in United States and he will send you a zipfile with all albums mp3'ed.

Thanks for the info. The unreleased video and song "Captain Kirk" sounded like a perfect mix of The Police, 80's Crimson and Devo.

I still do not own one single Samla album and I think thats a crying shame. Problem is that I cant find any vendor which sells their album against a reasonable price. I know Wayside sells a couple but those oversea orders get ver pricey anyway. I will save those orders for cuneiform releases. Anyone got a tip where to buy for this lowlander?

Surprised to see No Make Up as a download on Amazon! Familycracks would be a great place to start at a good price. You can find all of them at Synphonic plus afew bootlegs: http://synphonic.8m.com/country/sweden.htm

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Surprised to see No Make Up as a download on Amazon!
    Me too. For no good reasons it was never CD'ed, so I dont think this is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Me too. For no good reasons it was never CD'ed, so I dont think this is legit.
    it's licensed from JARO, who put the vinyl out in Germany. So, I guess it's close enough to legit.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

OK. But I guess we shouldnt hope for a CD. Too small a market.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    Thanks for the info. The unreleased video and song "Captain Kirk" sounded like a perfect mix of The Police, 80's Crimson and Devo.
    Yep, cool tune.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

OK. But I guess we shouldnt hope for a CD. Too small a market.
    I released "1983" because I gave up on a CD release of No Make Up.

I was told for years by the owners of the rights that there would be a CD 'soon'. After 10 years, I realized that wasn't actually going to happen.

I don't think it will ever be released on CD.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Guess I'll grab a download of that one then.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

This is the best Swedish band ever, and a top-10 prog act of all time. I don't know if uncle Francesco was aware of them, but if he were, he would be proud, and most probably jealous. There is stuff in Familjesprickor - like The Forge - that predates what Zappa did in the late 80's early 90's by a whole decade.

And the funny voice-primeordeal, prelingual expression element reaches a peak with the Samlos. That is on its own a huge contribution to art, if anyone cares to listen.

Of Lasse Holmes many soloalbums Vendeltid 1987 is pretty close in style to Samla/Zamla/Von.

https://www.discogs.com/LHO-Vendeltid/release/769297 - only on LP, but on CD in this compilation: https://www.discogs.com/Lars-Hollmer...elease/1352745

This version is different from the CD version, more mellow.

Of Lasse Holmes many soloalbums Vendeltid 1987 is pretty close in style to Samla/Zamla/Von.

https://www.discogs.com/LHO-Vendeltid/release/769297 - only on LP, but on CD in this compilation: https://www.discogs.com/Lars-Hollmer...elease/1352745

This version is different from the CD version, more mellow.
    I keep in mind to listen to Hölmer solo albums (is Lasse Holmes a typo or a nordic pun?). But in order to do that I need to extricate myself from the obsessive Samla Binge that consumes me.