Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Samla / Zamla Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    I only have MAltid and Klossa Knapitatet. Man what a killer band/bands. i need to get more, this thread rules!
    I got the first three, but I'm pretty sure i heard them all at one time or another (via my library system), except for their latest (from2002, i believe)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

The inevitable question for Steve:

Why isnt No Makeup! released as CD - I'm sure many would like to...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The inevitable question for Steve:

Why isnt No Makeup! released as CD - I'm sure many would like to...
    What makes you think I know the real answer?

I was told "it's coming" by MNW's manager (owner of this sound recording) for something like 15 years. Eventually, I stopped believing her.

My releasing 1983 was meant to partially at least correct that problem.

That's what I know.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^^
    Instinct

Harujänta - I never get tired of it… brilliant. I love when the 'motorik'-section kicks in at 2:30
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

^^
    Instinct
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    1983 is a wonderful album
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Heard some a while back and liked what I heard

Their debut, which was the first one I've got during the late 70s and "Schlagerns Mystik / För Äldre Nybegynnare" are the ones I overplayed till exhaustion. I like all their output; it shows artists uneasy with their past accomplishments, taking the challenges of inventiveness further and further. Great, great band!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I certainly agree that they never released anything near superfluous, and the debut is interesting for its contents of influences not particularly expressed later on (Santana, Hansson/Karlsson, various film musics etc.), while the improv-heavy För Äldre Nybegynnare remains an example of how a band can expose a highly collective identity even at its most spontaneous and bold (and no matter what Mr. Smith seems to imply when writing in P. Mag that KCrimson were the only notable act to radiate free-form "[...] except for perhaps German experimentalists Can" - far from it).

My list of Zamla/Samlas:

1) Familjesprickor
    2) Klossa
    3) Måltid
    4) No Makeup
    5) Zamlaranamma
    6) Kaka
    7) 1983
    8) Snorungarnas Symfoni
    9) Schlagerns/Nybegynnare
    10) Samla Mammas Manna

And I never heard Dear Mamma (with Tatsuya Yoshida!) so I can not comment on that, but the next step after Zamla/Samla would naturally be Hollmer's solo works and the otherworldly joyful live album by Ramlösa Kvällar (who were a kinda ethno-folky jug-dance band if anything) featuring three Zamlas.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The last Hollmer CD released by Cuneiform "With Floury Hand" which included DVD footage is wonderful, I've also got Live 92-93 Door Floor Something Window which is great. I need to explore more of his stuff.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

There exist a Lasse Hollmer concert recording from 1989. Its quite good, 44 min +31 min - perhaps on Dime?

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I certainly agree that they never released anything near superfluous, and the debut is interesting for its contents of influences not particularly expressed later on (Santana, Hansson/Karlsson, various film musics etc.), while the improv-heavy För Äldre Nybegynnare remains an example of how a band can expose a highly collective identity even at its most spontaneous and bold (and no matter what Mr. Smith seems to imply when writing in P. Mag that KCrimson were the only notable act to radiate free-form "[...] except for perhaps German experimentalists Can" - far from it).

My list of Zamla/Samlas:

1) Familjesprickor
    2) Klossa
    3) Måltid
    4) No Makeup
    5) Zamlaranamma
    6) Kaka
    7) 1983
    8) Snorungarnas Symfoni
    9) Schlagerns/Nybegynnare
    10) Samla Mammas Manna

And I never heard Dear Mamma (with Tatsuya Yoshida!) so I can not comment on that, but the next step after Zamla/Samla would naturally be Hollmer's solo works and the otherworldly joyful live album by Ramlösa Kvällar (who were a kinda ethno-folky jug-dance band if anything) featuring three Zamlas.
    Thanks for the list man

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Thanks for the list man
    Actually, I forgot about Coste Apetrea's Nyspolat, which is a wonderful concoction of folky-jazzy pieces for acoustic guitar etc., quite challenging bossanova- and tango-like written tunes and more obvious fusion antics somewhere between Samla and his work with Jukka Tolonen. From the whole Samla/Zamla oeuvre, this is arguably the most underrated title of them all. And Hasse Bruniusson's Mannaminne is better than its reputation, although the overt "comedy-rock" feel of it all can reach your nerves.

Those who love the No Makeup album would be wise to check out the three CDs released by the faintly Zamla-related Ensemble Nimbus in the 90s - if they are even obtainable now.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Klossa is my favorite.

I still remember cranking this alblum in an obscure hotel room room at Progfest '94 with members of Anekdoten and Anglagard at 3:00 AM. Good times!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Actually, I forgot about Coste Apetrea's Nyspolat, which is a wonderful concoction of folky-jazzy pieces for acoustic guitar etc., quite challenging bossanova- and tango-like written tunes and more obvious fusion antics somewhere between Samla and his work with Jukka Tolonen. From the whole Samla/Zamla oeuvre, this is arguably the most underrated title of them all. And Hasse Bruniusson's Mannaminne is better than its reputation, although the overt "comedy-rock" feel of it all can reach your nerves.

Those who love the No Makeup album would be wise to check out the three CDs released by the faintly Zamla-related Ensemble Nimbus in the 90s - if they are even obtainable now.
    Dude - that Coste album sounds pretty sick! I really don't have the majority of those albums on that list. Pretty behind there I guess, but I do love this music, pretty much everything I've heard, plus even Flying Food Circus or whatever with Roine and Bruinison - some cool shit on there. You totally have your shit together on this stuff, man. Do they make you learn this stuff as a young child or they toss you over the cliff naked into the Fjord with nothing but an ipod full of Menudo tunes?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm glad I got that boxed set when Steve compelled us to!
    Same here. Still haven't digested the whole thing.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Do they make you learn this stuff as a young child or they toss you over the cliff naked into the Fjord with nothing but an ipod full of Menudo tunes?
    Frankie, I really haven't told this to anybody ever before, but... Here it goes: it was my rectal lobotomy that brought about this wonderous story of progla-prog.

The Ramlösa Kvällar album is also utterly recommended!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Zamla fans should definetely check this one out:
    Lars Hollmer + Looping Home Orchestra - Vendeltid 1987
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=11593

Zamla fans should definetely check this one out:
    Lars Hollmer + Looping Home Orchestra - Vendeltid 1987
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=11593
    I concur! One of my very favorites by him.

But you can't get it physically (maybe digitally, I don't know) for years.

Much easier to find the live Victo release....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I have this: Tonoga / Fran Natt Idag / Vendeltid (3 vinyls as 2 CD) - http://www.allmusic.com/album/ton%C3...d-mw0001427696
    Vendeltid is the most interesting IMO.
    I have just realized that its sold for 100$ on ebay... I bought it really cheap just a few years ago.

I have it too, but it goes for big money these days....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    I only have a couple of Samla/Zamla albums, but what a great band. I also have Ensemble Nimbus' "Scapegoat" and the Flying Food Circus DVD which I've long wanted to make an audio rip of so I could listen to it more often.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I only have a couple of Samla/Zamla albums, but what a great band. I also have Ensemble Nimbus' "Scapegoat" and the Flying Food Circus DVD which I've long wanted to make an audio rip of so I could listen to it more often.
    There's no need to rip the DVD -there was a CD that came out first that you can still get on discogs for 15euros. Not exactly the same, but the same songs.
    Also Vendeltid can be had as part of the two CD set for around 30 euros -considering you get three complete albums (all good) this isn't too much. http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1352745?ev=rb