Thread: "Do They Know It's Christmas" new release

Suspended

"Do They Know It's Christmas" new release

http://news.yahoo.com/band-aid-singl...165721199.html

"Hearts in the right place" is the expression that comes to mind. I thought the original was a pretty good song, but I probably don't need to hear it again

Some worthwhile artists on this new recording, as well as some I can live without. One Direction and Ed Sheeran are reportedly involved. Can't stand either of those acts, but good for them for helping this cause instead of spending the money on fast cars and drug parties.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/band-aid-singl...165721199.html

"Hearts in the right place" is the expression that comes to mind. I thought the original was a pretty good song, but I probably don't need to hear it again

Some worthwhile artists on this new recording, as well as some I can live without. One Direction and Ed Sheeran are reportedly involved. Can't stand either of those acts, but good for them for helping this cause instead of spending the money on fast cars and drug parties.
    Can't argue with any of that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Can't argue with the sentiment. But, I always felt that song was a bit presumptuous, considering two-thirds of the world's religious people aren't even Christians.

But, hey, good cause.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    And of course this would go on to inspire other all-star sing-alongs...

Suspended
    ...all of which poses the question: when musicians unite and record for charity or to promote a cause, leaving aside how worthy the cause is, is the result any good? I thought the Bandaid single was a pretty good song in its own right, as I already said. On the other hand, "We Are the World"induced in me a feeling something like that depicted in iguana's post above.

Some decent ones that spring to mind:

Little Steven - Bitter Fruit
    Peter gabriel - Biko
    Gordon Franklin and the Wilderness Society - Let the Franklin Flow (non-Aussies will probably have to Google this one)
    John Hall Band - Power
    CSN&Y - Ohio

Good cause, fine sentiment, shite song. Sorry.

And didn't little, if any, of that food made it to the people that needed it. Iirc, most of it was either captured by warlords and resold for profit or rotted on docks due to bureaucratic incompetence. But hey, whatever. Bob got kinghted.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    And didn't little, if any, of that food made it to the people that needed it. Iirc, most of it was either captured by warlords and resold for profit or rotted on docks due to bureaucratic incompetence. But hey, whatever. Bob got kinghted.
    To be fair, none of that was Sir Bob's fault. He did an awful lot to bring awareness to the problem.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    To be fair, none of that was Sir Bob's fault. He did an awful lot to bring awareness to the problem.
    Well, was it... there's more to charity than just getting the money and going, "Yay!" There's a ton of oversight and administration required to see that it goes where it should. Did he do that? Did he just turn the money over to another organization, and if so was it reputable? Afik it was the latter, and I honestly don't know how involved he was at that point. But it demonstrates that just the fact that we out there watched a video and coughed up a few bucks, or musicians played a song that any good was done in the long run. Charity takes some responsibility, on everyone's part.

I just hope there's not going to be a remake of "We are the World" also. I actually really like the original "do they know it's Christmas song." It's one of my favorite "pop" Christmas songs and I'll take it over McCartney's sappy "Wonderful Christmas time" any day of the week.

About 63% of Ethiopians are Christian.

So, yes, Band Aid, to answer your question, they definitely know it's Christmas time, you morons.

The Prog Aid single (is that what it's called?) is really good. Magenta, Annie Haslam, Peter Nichols, Nick Barrett and a host of other prognoscenti doing Cyan's "All Around the World." The CD EP includes a few different mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Prog Aid
    Now, there's a name that rolls off the tongue.

Sounds like a lubricant.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Now, there's a name that rolls off the tongue.

Sounds like a lubricant.
    Acquiring the Taste