Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuffle Play Is An Abomination

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Shuffle play is one of humankind's greatest achievements. I use it all the time on various playlists.
    I'm with you there. I also use it on whole albums, it adds a new & often startling edge.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Two words: Jazz and Classical.
    That's three words

Two words: 'jazz' and 'classical' -- no, it's two, put in grammatically correct context (yes, I can out-pedant most anyone).
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    is this who I think it is?
    't'is. (waves) Hi!

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    There's only one CD I have which says "Random Play is Required for Full Effect". I never tried it though. I hate shuffle play.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

I have over 26,000 songs on my IPOD 160gb..Talk about variety on shuffle!!

At home I play full albums. On my mp3-player I always use shuffle.
    Just one funny problem, sometimes I get the feeling it plays the same songs in the same order.

I love shuffle play. The issue is when tracks that are meant to be segued together get split up in the ripping process. Then you have train wreck mixes.
    There are ways to rip these tracks together as a single file. It takes a little more work though.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Some albums (no names, no pack drill) aren't engaging enough to listen to all the way through and by the time you've reached the end you've sort of lost interest. So, sometimes hearing a track in isolation gives you a fresh perspective on it.
    Yeah, that's sometimes true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I love shuffle play. The issue is when tracks that are meant to be segued together get split up in the ripping process. Then you have train wreck mixes.
    There are ways to rip these tracks together as a single file. It takes a little more work though.
    Yeah, this is the problem I have, too. And I'm too lazy to fix it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    At home I play full albums. On my mp3-player I always use shuffle.
    Just one funny problem, sometimes I get the feeling it plays the same songs in the same order.
    My iPod does that sometimes. I have to do a complete power down and restart to get it to re-shuffle. What it also does is 'fixate' on an artist or set of artists for a while, then switch to a different set, and so on.

Linking 2 or a bunch of songs together is very simple. In iTunes before you rip the CD, select the tracks you want to connect, go into options - select "JOIN". That's it.

Shuffle play is one of humankind's greatest achievements. I use it all the time on various playlists.
    Agreed. The only genre I don't like it for is classical, so I usually have all my classical de-tagged for shuffle eligibility.

Listening to music on shuffle gives one a cross-genre, cross-era perspective like no other. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of albums I considered myself more or less "done" listening to, because of shuffle.

I would agree that I would not want shuffle to be the way I familiarize myself with albums that are new to me, but once I've known the album for a while I think shuffle is great.

I shuffle constantly. What's the big deal, like nobody ever made a mix tape before?

I don't shuffle if when I get a new album, I'll listen to it straight for a few days first.

I also like to shuffle bands/artists. Like if I'm in the mood for say, King Crimson, I'll just shuffle all KC tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Linking 2 or a bunch of songs together is very simple. In iTunes before you rip the CD, select the tracks you want to connect, go into options - select "JOIN". That's it.
    Hmm...I don't use iTunes. Wonder if Windows Media Player does this...

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Agreed. The only genre I don't like it for is classical, so I usually have all my classical de-tagged for shuffle eligibility.
    "Shuffle eligibility?" Never heard of that one. Is that an iTunes thing, too?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

"Shuffle eligibility?" Never heard of that one. Is that an iTunes thing, too?
    My phrase, but Itunes does allow you to de-tag songs so that they won't play when in shuffle mode. This is probably less of an issue if you're using playlists, but most of my shuffle listening is from the whole music library minus classical, not within playlists. I usually remove big prog epics from shuffle mode as well.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    My major playlist is "prog" which covers everything in the broad church, so this doesn't have straight jazz, rock, metal, blues, classical, punk, etc. It does include avant, fusion, symph, zeuhl, electronic, new age, ambient, krautrock, italian, folk, etc etc.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Love shuffle play! It's a radio station that's as eclectic as your tastes are and only plays music you like. But unlike a radio station, if something comes up that you're not in the mood for, you can move on to the next tune. I still listen to whole albums, but I listen to shuffles a lot more these days. Part of it is that I can't make my mind up about what I feel like listening to and another part is that my attention span may be shorter than it used to be and I don't want to give a band/artist a full hour to 80 minutes of my attention. Other times a tune will come up that makes me want to listen to the whole album and that's what I do. And like Nosebone said, sometimes two tunes from completely different bands/artists will flow together in a way that you never imagined they could.

Shuffle play has completely changed my listening habits!

I never shuffle my entire discography. I listen to music by mood. My 'playlists' are really subgenres grouped together. I like to shuffle them but find that shuffle tends to select the same artists/songs too often. One of my favorite ways to shuffle is to select an artist and shuffle their entire discography. Some of my playlists are nostalgic (things like 'classic rock', 'The 60s', 'classic metal' ) and I love to shuffle those. Shuffle is like having access to a personalized radio station.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I've never understood the shuffle thing either. The one exception is when having company over, in which case I'll usually make a playlist of things suited for the people involved and set it to random (and sometimes still stick with a couple full albums instead). Any other time? Forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Two words: Jazz and Classical.
    Ugh. Mixing things up in those realms would be just as awful as doing it anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have over 9,000 songs on my I-Pod and they range all over the place musically.
    That's exactly why I hate shuffling. If I'm in the mood for techno, a sudden switch to bluegrass or Indian or metal is the last thing I want. When digital players were new I used to make the odd playlist combining different things in the same realm, but it got old fast. I've always just preferred full albums as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    There's only one CD I have which says "Random Play is Required for Full Effect". I never tried it though. I hate shuffle play.
    I've never done that with my Repercussions either. ProjeKct Three's Masque has a similar note in the booklet--"put your CD player in random mode to continue the improvisation"--but I've only done it once. Cute, but what's the point?

It works great for Jazz, so long as your Jazz has already been sorted. I keep my "Jazz Giants" (Miles, Coltrane, Mingus, Bird, Monk...) separate from my "Modern Jazz" (Aka Moon, Octurn, Satoko Fuji, ...). I always use shuffle for Jazz.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

There are albums where shuffle is a Good Thing. For example, They Might Be Giants's Apollo 18, which was conceived of for shuffle: there are about ten real songs and about twenty little snippets called "Fingertips." The "Fingertips" are all together in the album as published, but the best effect is achieved if the album is put on shuffle so you get one or two between each pair of songs...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Heck, we're just all different... and thank God (or whoever/whatever you want to thank)! Me, I love stuff like King Crimson followed by Bonnie Raitt followed by John Coltrane followed by a movement from one of the Brahms symphonies followed by Van Halen. I can appreciate that some hate that sort of thing, but... (shrug)

I am 98.675% shuffle with nearly 10,000 songs in multiple playlists, formats, and mediums ranging from Mozart to Shorter to Torme to Yes to Cannibal Corpse to Deerhoof to Subtle. All is fair game and there is no way to experience the beauty of music in all its incarnations.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I use Shuffle all the time, but I don't do playlists and I don't have a "Library" and I don't "Sync".

In fact, half the time I use the XCOPY command to put new DIRECTORIES (not "Folders") onto my MP3 player to replace the ones that I've just DEL(eted).

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    That's three words
    How about: 'jazz' & 'classical'?