Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Songs that feature a gong

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Brand X song is Earth Dance, and it's right at the intro.
    Indeed, although I thought I had Voidarama in mind, but I relistened and maybe I was recalling some loud cymbal crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember that video. Ray Cooper goes nuts with the gong and eventually it falls from it's stand, so Ray shoves over the stand. Then the camera cuts away to the musicians in front, and I think it's Bill Wyman you see sort of directing everyone else's attention to the backline, and I think it's Clapton or Andy Fairweather-Low who laughs.
    I believe at one point in the concert (I just remembered it was after Rita Mae), Clapton introduces him and says "he's gonna steal the show".
    I'm recalling this all from memory from a video I haven't seen in like 20 years, btw.
    Well, you know, it's right there--all you need to do is press the play button.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Well, you know, it's right there--all you need to do is press the play button.
    Your point being what?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    This is about the time in the thread when some obnoxious know-it-all drops in to explain like the Comic Book Guy that actually what most people are calling a gong isn't at all and is really a tam-tam.

Oh, it's me!!

http://percussiondeconstruction.blog...m-vs-gong.html

That guy does consider a tam-tam a gong, but it's still true that when we picture a "gong" it's usually a tam-tam.
    It was almost me, but I didn't have the energy. Actually, the Stockhausen piece I mentioned uses a tam-tam, that's actually how I learned the difference between the two when I was a teenager, from reading the liner notes of the old DG LP release of the Mikrophonie pieces, then looking tam-tam up in a musical instrument encyclopedia type reference book.

Your point being what?
    You sounded as though you wanted to see it again.

edit: back in the early DVD days I bought a bootleg of it at a record show. The quality is not as good as what's on Youtube.

Amelia Earhart by The Muffins
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Gongs are expensive. And they only play one note, basically.
    Long ago I saw a cartoon showing an orchestra. The man playing the gong was standing there with his hammer ready to strike the gong. He was reading off the sheet on the music stand in front of him, on which was printed one single huge note.

You sounded as though you wanted to see it again.

edit: back in the early DVD days I bought a bootleg of it at a record show. The quality is not as good as what's on Youtube.
    I've got the official VHS release that Rhino put out sometime in the late 80's or early 90's. Actually, it's the second half of the concert, starting with Jeff Beck's set through to the end of the show, plus a few interview bits. If I remember correctly, they put it on two separate VHS tapes, the other tape had the Clapton/Winwood portion of the show. Then later, I saw a version that had the entire concert (or most of it, I think the Jeff Beck portion is missing at least one song) on one tape.

I actually remember staying up late and watching the concert on MTV, who also showed it across two nights. I think that might have been the first time I ever saw someone use a bottleneck up past the fingerboard (Beck does it during Star Cycle) on the guitar.

I remember Guitar Player did a big piece on that concert, it being a big deal that Beck, Page and Clapton were playing together for the first time. They went into all the details about the guitars each of them used, etc, and also how someone broke into the dressing room and stole Page's metronome, but apparently walked right past without touching this huge array of cool guitars that the various guitarists used for the concert.

Quote Originally Posted by willyswing View Post
    I think Ambrosia uses one on "Time Waits For No One".
    Yes Ambrosia used a 300 year old Javanese Gong on "Time Waits For No One".

I actually remember staying up late and watching the concert on MTV, who also showed it across two nights. I think that might have been the first time I ever saw someone use a bottleneck up past the fingerboard (Beck does it during Star Cycle) on the guitar.
    I couldn't have told you by now what channel it was on, but back in those days before TV was in stereo my cable co. would provide a splitter and converter so that you could run a coax over to your stereo and feed the audio through an unused FM channel. I believe I had MTV and HBO available, and recorded the ARMS show, KC's Live in Japan and Roxy's 1982 concert using this setup.

This is about the time in the thread when some obnoxious know-it-all drops in to explain like the Comic Book Guy that actually what most people are calling a gong isn't at all and is really a tam-tam.

Oh, it's me!!

That guy does consider a tam-tam a gong, but it's still true that when we picture a "gong" it's usually a tam-tam.
    Saying a tam-tam isn't a gong is like saying a duck isn't a bird.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Oh, it's me!!

You don't know what you're talking about.

Several mentions of the Who but no mention that "Love Reign O'er Me" features a gong...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    R U kidding? Best gong EVER! Here it is at 1:28:

Tarkus
    Nah , THIS is the best gong EVAR! (at 0:22 )

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post

There's also a gong at the beginning of "Brother of Mine" by the Yes spinoff group ABWH. I would post a clip but most of us have heard it a million times before.
    I always considered ABWH to be Classic Yes. YesWest, OTOH...

[Nah , THIS is the best gong EVAR! (at 0:22 )]

Still not better than the beginning of this track.

Of course, the person who made the video used the previous incarnation of Mahavishnu Orchestra. But the first four minutes of this piece simply SMOKES! Particularly at the 3:00 mark when John goes acoustic. Walden's drums are amazing!

I can vaguely remember a Brand X piece that I *think* has a gong in it. Maybe someone with better memory can conjure it up.
    I can’t remember which song, but it’s from Unorthodox Behaviour. Specifically, it’s a water-gong (literally: a gong immersed in water. Lowering the instrument in water changes the pitch/timbre).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I couldn't have told you by now what channel it was on, but back in those days before TV was in stereo my cable co. would provide a splitter and converter so that you could run a coax over to your stereo and feed the audio through an unused FM channel. I believe I had MTV and HBO available, and recorded the ARMS show, KC's Live in Japan and Roxy's 1982 concert using this setup.
    I did the same thing! I had the first part of the ARMS concert on cassette, but for some reason not the second part, as well as the heavily edited Crimson concert, I remember MTV showing a Night Ranger concert from Tokyo, there were probably a few others I recorded that way. I remember HBO showing a Fleetwood Mac concert and also the heavily edited Who Rocks America video (last night of the 82 tour, in Toronto, which most of the best songs cut out, but I wouldn't know that until like a decade later, when I'd finally get to see the VHS release of the concert). I can't remember if it was HBO or Showtime that aired some sort of multi-artist festival sometime around 84 or 85, it might have been the Montreux Rose Festival. I think I also had a couple cassettes where I just recorded the audio feed when they were showing videos, the same as you'd do taping stuff off a regular radio station. Somewhere I got a tape with a bit of an interview with Trevor Rabin on MTV, I think.

That was a relatively short lived period, though, because finally in 1985, we got a VCR (a Betamax!), so I just started taping everything in mass off MTV (albeit in mono).

Several people have posted that Daevid Allen's Gong never used a gong, but there's one on "APH.P.'s Advice" from You. It's at the end, leading into the opening drone of "Magick Mother Invocation".

And there are several fantastic gong smashes on the re-arranged "House of the King" from Jan Akkerman's Tabernkel. In fact, the gong gets kinda overused there. And then there's one beautiful hit on "Lammy" from the same album.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

The Ancient- Yes
    In The Lap Of The Gods (revisited)- Queen

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    Several people have posted that Daevid Allen's Gong never used a gong, but there's one on "APH.P.'s Advice" from You. It's at the end, leading into the opening drone of "Magick Mother Invocation".
    Well spotted.

The last instrumental track (can’t remember the title offhand) from the debut Starcastle album opens with a gong hit.

Post-Daevid Allen, but I believe one of the tracks on Shamal actually features tuned gongs.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I declare this thread in the name of pompatus

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    I always considered ABWH to be Classic Yes. YesWest, OTOH...
    exactly......thought of ABWH right away but that gong in the beginning of The Ancient is powerful---I once played this for a classical composer and he was completely impressed by it---I have always loved it but think a lot of fans can take it or leave it.