Thread: The Fierce And The Dead

The Fierce And The Dead

A year ago a band I'm in made an album, we're still really proud of it. Now you can get it for £1 for the download or a fiver on CD (for November only) thanks to Bad Elephant Music. If you like it please tell your friends.

http://music.badelephant.co.uk/album/spooky-action

Press (because I'm not going to blag it!)

"..post-hardcore bass tone; pulsing motorik drums; chiming, interlocking guitars somewhere between Afrobeat and Robert Fripp (and) shockingly brutal bursts of math-metal"
    Rock-A-Rolla Magazine

"(This) is what would’ve happened if Philip Glass had ripped up his Fulbright scholarship at the kitchen table and said “Screw you Mom, I’m gonna start a garage band”'
    Demon Pigeon

"(Spooky Action) doesn’t just shift goalposts – it uproots them, sends them into space and puts them on another planet"
    Echoes and Dust

".....King Crimson meets Sonic Youth"
    Here Comes The Flood

"..tuneful mathy flavoured goodness"
    Organ

"...simultaneously the most restrained and the most abrasive band of the night as Fugazi and Black Flag meet Red."
    Prog Magazine

Great album and an absolute bargain

Required listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezmond View Post
    Great album and an absolute bargain
    Thanks mate. I really hope more people get to hear it. We'll tour again in 2015 and hopefully that'll help. It's unusual to make something and still like it a year later

Quote Originally Posted by Leibowitz View Post
    Required listening.
    Thank you very much

Recently, I've been spinning the On VHS EP. The thing that gets me about this music are the shapes and patterns that are interwoven between instruments. My ears and my mind are fixed on those kind of things visually and sonically. I've been that way since I was very young. It's pretty unique stuff, but to my ears it sounds logical. Then there are the sudden or gradual departures into different territories which shakes things up. I guess what it boils down to is that I like the notes y'all play and the way you play them. The albums definitely don't sound the same from one to the next and they don't sound like anything else I listen to. Where there is fire on one track or album, the next thing I listen to could be very fragile or placid...and then just explode or implode. Worlds away from the stuff I compose, but that's something that probably draws me to listening to it. It's not just an extension of your solo work either...you can tell several minds are at work in the composition. Hopefully I'll see you guys live one of these lifetimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Leibowitz View Post
    Recently, I've been spinning the On VHS EP. The thing that gets me about this music are the shapes and patterns that are interwoven between instruments. My ears and my mind are fixed on those kind of things visually and sonically. I've been that way since I was very young. It's pretty unique stuff, but to my ears it sounds logical. Then there are the sudden or gradual departures into different territories which shakes things up. I guess what it boils down to is that I like the notes y'all play and the way you play them. The albums definitely don't sound the same from one to the next and they don't sound like anything else I listen to. Where there is fire on one track or album, the next thing I listen to could be very fragile or placid...and then just explode or implode. Worlds away from the stuff I compose, but that's something that probably draws me to listening to it. It's not just an extension of your solo work either...you can tell several minds are at work in the composition. Hopefully I'll see you guys live one of these lifetimes!

We really enjoyed making that one. It was the first time we experimented with the Glass/Reich thing of multiple time signatures for different instruments and we had Steve on second guitar for the first time so it was a really fun thing to do. It was really fresh. Over 3 years ago now. Thanks man

I couldn't put my finger on it until you mentioned it, but that Philip Glass element is sometimes there in terms of getting the most out of a bit of mimialism for portions of the music. In his own way, Glass' music grooved, but certainly not in the traditional sense..With TFATD melodies and/or themes are often strongly defined, which is important as an instrumental band. There's really no point for vocals. No room for it by design. There are tiny elements that remind me of Godspeed, but not enough to draw too much of a comparison.