Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZED ZEPPELIN REUNION???

ZED ZEPPELIN REUNION???

Led Zeppelin? every time there is a LZ release (in this case the remasters of IV & HOTH) Jimi Page always leaks stories about a reunion to boost sales. think back.

His sister Jenny does the same thing though.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...-turns-4595788
    http://pagesix.com/2014/11/09/robert...ium=SocialFlow

3 cities; London, Berlin & New Jersey (?). Wondering if it was to be at the arena or stadium in Jersey. Moot point now.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Led Zep "defo finnished now!!!"

Branson's a class-A vulgarian. Kudos to Plant for rejecting, in no uncertain terms evidently, such an obscene proposal!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Zeppelin has to be the oddest duck of a band to be so insanely popular. Their songs rarely have anything resembling hooks, Plant is almost impossible to understand sometimes, Page's guitar playing sounds like hitting the right strings is merely optional, and even the song titles are weird and clunky (Bron-y-Aur Stomp?)

That said, Bonham could really pound those skins like he meant it and Jones was a hell of a musician (though I don't care for his solo stuff). And don't get me wrong, I like a number of their songs. I just think the hype surrounding them is as flat-out bizarre as they are.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    The riffs man. It's all about the riffs, and the feeling. It's very emotional and sexual music. The logos isn't nearly as important as the pathos, when it comes to Zep.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    The riffs man.
    I'm with you until we get to "Dancing Days."

It's very emotional and sexual music.
    Never mind, "Dancing Days" is now explained.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Branson's a class-A vulgarian. Kudos to Plant for rejecting, in no uncertain terms evidently, such an obscene proposal!
    What's obscene in tycoon's money? The smell?

You applauding guys bear in mind, that Plant's live set is still 90% Zep stuff.

Someone got over on all of us.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/11/1...6pLid%3D562427

Plant & Branson say this is the first they've heard of any reunion tour / contract.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    The logos isn't nearly as important as the pathos, when it comes to Zep.
    Is the Porthos as important as the Athos?

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    You applauding guys bear in mind, that Plant's live set is still 90% Zep stuff.
    Mmmm………I have seen him solo 4 times and about the most Zep I have ever seen him do in a set was about 40%. It has been a few years, so maybe he has skewed his set more towards Zeppelin recently, but not when I have seen him.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Plant & Branson say this is the first they've heard of any reunion tour / contract.
    What a weird-ass hoax.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Is the Porthos as important as the Athos?
    I don't know, sometimes they couldn't find their Athos with both hands.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Zeppelin has to be the oddest duck of a band to be so insanely popular. Their songs rarely have anything resembling hooks, Plant is almost impossible to understand sometimes, Page's guitar playing sounds like hitting the right strings is merely optional, and even the song titles are weird and clunky (Bron-y-Aur Stomp?)

That said, Bonham could really pound those skins like he meant it and Jones was a hell of a musician (though I don't care for his solo stuff). And don't get me wrong, I like a number of their songs. I just think the hype surrounding them is as flat-out bizarre as they are.
    First, Bron-y-aur Stomp is named after a place...and even if it wasn't, who really cares about a song title, in terms of defining a band.?

I disagree that Zep,had no hooks. Some songs were rife with 'em..others, the hooks were Page's riffs, like Black Dog. Also, while I was not a big Page fan back in the day, Ive come to like him more over the years and, as a guitarist myself, still cannot agree with your assessment. Before Zep and Yardbirds, Page was a busy and respected session player, so clearly he must know his way around the instrument...not to mention if you listen to his acoustic work on "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" and "Black Mountainside" on Zep's first album, I think the case is easily made that "hitting the right strings is optional" is pretty far from the truth. As for Plant? He's not the first rock singer to be a little hard to understand. That said, I've never had an issue making out what he is singing. I lost interest for a bit when he began to place primary weight on his screaming (but impressive) upper range, but I've gotten over that since.

Where we agree is Bonham, who was always one of my big reasons for listening to Zep, despite not being a drummer. He was a freakin' force of nature.

But hey, you don't have to like Zeppelin and while I disagree with your assessments, if that's how it sounds to you, who am I to argue with that?

Oh yeah,.and I've loved Plant'a solo career, especially the last few records, and respect him even more for sticking to his guns, refusing to bend to the not insignificant draw of a shitload of money, and wanting to remain focused in his own career and what comes rather than revisiting the past. Yes, he does Zep tunes solo, but the arrangements are very different - another reason I respect him, along with how he is working with an aging voice that can no longer hit those stratospheric high notes and so, intend of trying, works within his range and finds new means of expression.
    Last edited by jkelman; 11-13-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I lost interest for a bit when he began to place primary weight on his screaming (but impressive) upper range, but I've gotten over that since.
    Well, then, let this gem rekindle the sentiment:

Could be the most-grating outtake of them all.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Jon Anderson said he was inspired by seeing Plant rework Zep songs in new and very different ways.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

First, Bron-y-aur Stomp is named after a place...and even if it wasn't, who really cares about a song title, in terms of defining a band.?

I disagree that Zep,had no hooks. Some songs were rife with 'em..others, the hooks were Page's riffs, like Black Dog. Also, while I was not a big Page fan back in the day, Ive come to like him more over the years and, as a guitarist myself, still cannot agree with your assessment. Before Zep and Yardbirds, Page was a busy and respected session player, so clearly he must know his way around the instrument...not to mention if you listen to his acoustic work on "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" and "Black Mountainside" on Zep's first album, I think the case is easily made that "hitting the right strings is optional" is pretty far from the truth. As for Plant? He's not the first rock singer to be a little hard to understand. That said, I've never had an issue making out what he is singing. I lost interest for a bit when he began to place primary weight on his screaming (but impressive) upper range, but I've gotten over that since.

Where we agree is Bonham, who was always one of my big reasons for listening to Zep, despite not being a drummer. He was a freakin' force of nature.

But hey, you don't have to like Zeppelin and while I disagree with your assessments, if that's how it sounds to you, who am I to argue with that?

Oh yeah,.and I've loved Plant'a solo career, especially the last few records, and respect him even more for sticking to his guns, refusing to bend to the not insignificant draw of a shitload of money, and wanting to remain focused in his own career and what comes rather than revisiting the past. Yes, he does Zep tunes solo, but the arrangements are very different - another reason I respect him, along with how he is working with an aging voice that can no longer hit those stratospheric high notes and so, intend of trying, works within his range and finds new means of expression.
    Here, here, well said! While there's no accounting for taste, I pretty much agree with most of this. A niggling point: Black Dog is Jone's riff, not Page's, but Pagey still has a whole boatload of great ones: The Ocean, The Rover, Kashmir, Heartbreaker, Bring It On Home (and Whole Lotta Love, even thought the songs themselves are not originally his), Ramble On, Houses of the Holy, Dancin' Days, Immigrant Song, The Wanton Song, Custard Pie, ...Love what Plant is doing these days, too. He re-imagines the Zep tunes that he still incorporates into his set. His latest release is quite good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

Could be the most-grating outtake of them all.
    Painful. And that's just Bonham's overplaying.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Mmmm………I have seen him solo 4 times and about the most Zep I have ever seen him do in a set was about 40%. It has been a few years, so maybe he has skewed his set more towards Zeppelin recently, but not when I have seen him.
    Could be..but in our climes he played a Led Zeppelin set. I remember his band performing another stuff, three songs were performed without Mr.Plant. And he sung 2 songs from the recent album( Band of Joy). But Zeppelin stuff dominated heavily. His voice sounded stunningly well, he howled his ooooohs exactly the same as in 70s..

Here's a set list from July of 2013 with a lot of LZ.

Robert Plant 07/27/13
    Brooklyn Bandshell, Brooklyn, NY

Opening Jam >
    Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You
    In the Mood
    Tin Pan Valley
    Spoonful
    Black Dog
    Another Tribe
    Going to California
    The Enchanter
    Four Sticks >
    Come Into My Life
    Friends
    Robert's intro about Fixin to Die
    Funny in My Mind (Fixin' to Die)
    What Is and What Should Never Be
    Hoochie Coochie Man >
    Whole Lotta Love (with Who Do You Love)
    - Encore Break -
    Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down
    Rock and Roll
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Well, so is Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch, but I'm not sure I'd name a pop/rock song after it.

Well, But hey, you don't have to like Zeppelin and while I disagree with your assessments, if that's how it sounds to you, who am I to argue with that?
    Don't misunderstand me. I didn't say they were terrible. I said they were odd. Maybe I occasionally find Page's guitar tone grating (seriously, "Dancing Days" is a sure-fire cure for being headache-free) but in general I'm kind of charmed by how quirky they are. But I think Yes, Genesis, Tull, and so on are similarly charming and quirky, but while they had success, they aren't the insane phenomenon Zeppelin is. Heck, BOC is quirky and heavy, why aren't they the phenomenon Zeppelin is?

Probably the answer lies in the early bluesy stuff, as you say. I have IV, HotH and ITtOD, and I've heard PG several times. I have those three albums largely because they are different ("No Quarter" and "Carouselambra" are excellent) so maybe the world's embracing of Zeppelin has more to do with their original Yardbirdseed than the out-there stuff of later years. So… mea culpa if that's the case.

Well, so is Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch, but I'm not sure I'd name a pop/rock http://www.criticaljazz.com/2014/11/...train-and.html after it.
    well, you might if it had significance to you, as it did to

And if you want to look at gibberish? How's about some of Anderson's Yes lyrics?

And koreabruce? Thanks, man...I did not know that Black Dog was Jones'....all the more reason to appreciate his contributions, given he is largely overlooked...and unfairly so.

Don't misunderstand me. I didn't say they were terrible. I said they were odd. Maybe I occasionally find Page's guitar tone grating (seriously, "Dancing Days" is a sure-fire cure for being headache-free) but in general I'm kind of charmed by how quirky they are. But I think Yes, Genesis, Tull, and so on are similarly charming and quirky, but while they had success, they aren't the insane phenomenon Zeppelin is. Heck, BOC is quirky and heavy, why aren't they the phenomenon Zeppelin is?

Probably the answer lies in the early bluesy stuff, as you say. I have IV, HotH and ITtOD, and I've heard PG several times. I have those three albums largely because they are different ("No Quarter" and "Carouselambra" are excellent) so maybe the world's embracing of Zeppelin has more to do with their original Yardbirdseed than the out-there stuff of later years. So… mea culpa if that's the case.
    Hard to say. I will say that revisiting IV with the distance of years and no more overexposure to much of it because I rarely listen to any radio, it is, IMO, a stone cold classic. Eclectic, without a weak second on it. As for Page's tone? Of the "big three," I always preferred Beck over the other two anyway....still do.

But why Zep became SO big? A confluence of many things, including great (and aggressive) management, tons of touring, overall more approachable music (despite quirky moments....) and a number of other factors, I suspect, came together to create a juggernaut. Also, with Bonham's death and the decision not to continue without him, they went out on a high (the posthumous Coda excepted), leaving a relatively small but pretty damn consistently fine discography,whereas so many other groups continued on and, Yes being a great example, never topped their peak years of '71-'77, releasing many substandard records that did not help their reputations and in many ways damaged them by rooting them completely on the 70s, whereas Zeppelin seems to have managed to attain that desired state of "timeless."