Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 80s Prog artists who began in the 80s but were NOT British Neoprog

80s Prog artists who began in the 80s but were NOT British Neoprog

Many Prog fans consider the 80s to be a dead zone, but I think there were quite a few great Prog artists who weren't Neo

I can think of a few but I know there are more than these

Ozrix
    Gamalon
    Kenso
    Iconoclasta
    Tribal Tech
    Solaris
    Asturias
    Univers Zero
    L Subramaniam
    Isildurs Bane
    Edhels
    Kazumi Watanabi
    Minuimum Vital
    JP Boffo
    Djam Karet

tell us about your favs and what makes them great

and forget whether or not someone else will consider them Prog or not. Just list what *you* personally like
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Bel Canto
    It sounded different from anything I heard before. Great voice, electronics, acoustic instruments, what is there not to like.
    Dead Can Dance
    Weird and very interesting.
    In The Nursery
    Is this rock?
    Wim Mertens
    No, this isn't rock, but when I heard Maximising the audience, in a recordstore in Utrecht, it was a breath of fresh air. It surprised me, like some progressive rockgroups. I couldn't get enough of this record, after playing side 2 of the second record, I started again with side 1 of the first record.

Cardiacs!!!

Present
    Thinking plague

All 3 seriously excellent.

The best example of all... Nick Beggs of Kajagoogoo!! (and consequently Steve Hackett and Steve Wilson)

Kultivator, Ur Kaos and other bands/projects on the Swedish Bauta Records label.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Kazume Watanabe has been around since 1971
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Nuova Era
    Ain Soph
    Blue Motion
    Combo FH
    Gunesh Ensemble
    Rahmann
    Dun
    Eider Stellaire
    However
    Bi Kyo Ran
    Myrbein
    Bacamarte
    In Spe
    Bandhada
    Craft
    Raiz de Pedra
    Horizont
    Drama
    Miriodor
    Tiemko
    Cartoon
    Bacamarte
    Kaseke
    Holding Pattern
    Metamorfosis
    Nathan Mahl
    Cheer-Accident
    Deja Vu (perhaps not the best example, but at least not British Neo)
    Mahagon
    Mo. Do.
    Hands

If you count solo artists:

Prat, Jean-Paul
    Watson, Ken
    Hamm, Stu
    Bringolf, Serge

Bill

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wonderful decade for me, though I discovered all these bands in the last 10 years.

Univers Zero
    Djam Karet
    Dun
    Eider Stellaire
    Miriodor
    Bacamarte
    Cheer-Accident
    Kultivator
    Cardiacs
    Present
    Thinking Plague
    Dead Can Dance
    Eskaton
    Serge Bringolf
    Shub-Niggurath
    News From Babel
    Naked City
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

Univers Zero
    Debut album 1977.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Debile Menthol
    Zut un Feu Rouge

Kerrs Pink
    Amenophis
    Devil Doll
    Anyone's Daughter(first album 1979- close enough!)

and 2 UK bands that were not neo-prog:
    It Bites
    Talk Talk

Devil Doll - 5 albums...6 songs...how prog is that?
    Dragonfly
    La Rossa (a great little known PH influenced band)
    Terraced Garden (from Canada...very mid 70's Crimso influenced in many ways but not neo to my ears)
    This Mortal Coil (a 4AD label project...if not prog then goth-prog)
    Twelfth Night (I know many consider them neo but I never thought they fit in that bunch)
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Many Prog fans consider the 80s to be a dead zone, but I think there were quite a few great Prog artists who weren't Neo

I can think of a few but I know there are more than these

Kenso
    Kenso and like some other noticed, a couple of other bands like Ain Soph, started in the seventies.

Anyone remember these? All would be called "Neo," I think, but all were Continental & 80s Prog.

Airspeed
    Chandelier
    Adrenalin
    Crystal Maze
    Ligeia Lie
    Counterpoint
    The Last Detail
    Eastern Wind
    Egdon Heath
    Kong
    Head Over Heels
    Odyssice
    Shock Hazard
    Harnakis
    Notturno Concertante
    Sinister Street
    Ty-Jir
    TNR (The Noise Room )
    Rousseau
    Isthar
    Iskander
    Bel Air
    Anabis
    Amenophis
    Theatre
    Hogweed
    Eden's Taste
    Opus
    P'cock
    Scaramouche
    Step Ahead
    Tales
    Ywis
    Tunefish

OK, I'll stop.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Kenso and like some other noticed, a couple of other bands like Ain Soph, started in the seventies.
    I was going by release date of their first album, which for both bands is in the 1980s. Kenso has a release of earlier material, but I think that came out much later and wasn't actually released in the 70s. So I'd personally count these, recognizing that they had activity before their first album came out.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I was going by release date of their first album, which for both bands is in the 1980s. Kenso has a release of earlier material, but I think that came out much later and wasn't actually released in the 70s. So I'd personally count these, recognizing that they had activity before their first album came out.

Bill
    yeah... folks outside of Japan had no access to their music until the 80s
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'll suggest Iona. Definitely not neo although some may not consider them prog at all.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Anyone remember these? All would be called "Neo," I think, but all were Continental & 80s Prog.
    Chandelier
    I have one CD by them.
    The Last Detail
    Don't own anything by them, but a colleague of my dad was in this band. He was one of the people I went to a concert of Kayak with.
    Egdon Heath
    They were on SI, the label of the magazine I wrote for. Own two CD's. One I bought recently, fairly cheap.
    Rousseau
    Got one of their CD's, to write a review.
    Anabis
    Own their debut on vinyl. Bought it in Freiburg.
    Amenophis
    Own both CD's.
    Opus
    Which one? The Austrian, which had a big hit with 'Life is live', or the German one, which went on as Pur.
    Ywis
    They were on SI, the label of the magazine I wrote for. Which I bought recently, fairly cheap.

when did RUSH start? xx

Chandelier
    I have Timecode, which is avreage neo-progressive, that is not very good. German Marillion with a bit more Saga influence than normally and lyrically rather dire. Best remembered for their Trekker's parody of coco rock, the ridiculous "Ferengi Lover".

Egdon Heath
    Have just the post-SI release Nebula, an album better known for its cover than for its music. More hard rock than the usual Dutch neo sound, but mostly with totally unmemorable compositions. Exceptions are the orchestrally enhanced "Buried Inside" and the Camel-like, mostly instrumental "As Ripley Would Say".

Sinister Street
    I have their Eve of Innocence. A Dutch band with two keyboardists who together sound like less than one, or at least there seems to be so little happening on the songs that you have to wonder what it is all for. Essentially a collection of pleasant, underachieving pop songs with a bit Fish-like vocalist and some neo drama without any real instrumental meat. "Provisional Anthem" is one of the few songs that catches a bit of fire.

TNR (The Noise Room )
    That's The Noisy Room. I have The Chessboard. An Italian Peter Hammill imitator is at least something a bit of different. Essentially puts Hammill's solo approach to an early-90s synthesized rock band setting. Not bad, actually, somewhat more accessible than a lot of Hammill's material at the time, but of course the voice and lyrics are nowhere near PH. Still nice for an occasional listen and much less prone to ridiculousness than the concept has potential for.

Rousseau
    Their first album Flower in Asphalt is a nice instrumental symphonic work and closer to the "German Camel" description than Novalis. Just replace Camel's folky, sunny bounciness with a more subdued, melodically less rapturous and rhythmically stiffer approach. Their third, Square the Circle, sound mostly like Camel had decided to record outtakes of The Single Factor in 1987.

Iskander
    I've only heard Mental Touch. Spacey, ponderous, very much 1980s take on Camel-like progressive rock. Writing wasn't very distinguished, though not bad. I don't suppose this and the rest of the Iskander albums will ever see re-release.

Anabis
    I have Heaven on Earth. Very wordy neo-progressive, with lyrics dramatisising things like Frankfurt's water supply problems and witch hunts with rather shaky English. The music ticks the usual symphonic boxes but the execution is mediocre and the lyrics stump other concerns. "Assassination" seems almost prescient if it was really recorded in March 1980.

Amenophis
    The first album is an excellent symphonic work from Germany, only hampered a little by the production values of private recording. Nice synth backgrounds that don't sound like 1983. Not as good as Anyone's Daughter but heads above most of the runners up.

And then the Japanese collectors liked the album and they revamped the line-up to cash in with You and I. Better recording, but otherwise weaker in all respect. About half of it leans towards pop and falls flat on its face for a lack anything substantial there. The rest is watered-down progressive, with bright ideas like having the keyboard player sprinkle classical quotes over a steady rock beat that sounds more like a synth demo than any of the 70s keyboard things.

Theatre
    Poor Italian attempt at neo-progressive. Vocalist Ricky Tonko did better on Moongarden's The Brainstorm of Emptyness.

Step Ahead
    French, and one of the best of the early "new progressive groups". Has similar hard rock guitar and more song-oriented approach to Yes and Genesis-influenced symphonic rock, though not really the new wave influences of the British bands. Song-writing is inconsistent, but the instrumental sections are great. The synth solos at the end of "The End" is one of my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

Bill
    Got your point! I was indeed refering to those archive-releases of these bands. Both are indeed anything but neo!

Airspeed
    Chandelier
    Adrenalin
    Crystal Maze
    Ligeia Lie
    Counterpoint
    The Last Detail
    Eastern Wind
    Egdon Heath
    Kong
    Head Over Heels
    Odyssice
    Shock Hazard
    Harnakis
    Notturno Concertante
    Sinister Street
    Ty-Jir
    TNR (The Noise Room )
    Rousseau
    Isthar
    Iskander
    Bel Air
    Anabis
    Amenophis
    Theatre
    Hogweed
    Eden's Taste
    Opus
    P'cock
    Scaramouche
    Step Ahead
    Tales
    Ywis
    Tunefish

OK, I'll stop.
    I was about to heave a heavy sigh and walk out of this thread. Then someone mentioned Chandelier - I was listening to Facing Gravity on the way in to work today, and Timecode on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    when did RUSH start? xx
    In 74, but since the Japanese couldn't get them until the 80's you can list them.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Sagrado Coracao Da Terra is another no one has mentioned

Airspeed
    Chandelier
    Adrenalin
    Crystal Maze
    Ligeia Lie
    Counterpoint
    The Last Detail
    Eastern Wind
    Egdon Heath
    Kong
    Head Over Heels
    Odyssice