Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 80s Prog artists who began in the 80s but were NOT British Neoprog

All I know is that after almost 30 Cardiacs gigs I know I wasn't at prog gigs. They started as a punk band, became a new wave band, and Tim always called them a pop band.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_n_chucky View Post
    EAST
    Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    Rousseau's first two albums, Flower in Asphalt and Retreat, were both very 70s sounding with Camel and early Genesis as the main influences.

Jean Pascal Boffo's first album came out in 1986. French and not neo.
    I forgot about East and Rousseau. Some excellent albums by them

I did mention JP Boffo in the first post though. Love Carillions, Rituel and Nomades
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Many Prog fans consider the 80s to be a dead zone, but I think there were quite a few great Prog artists who weren't Neo

I can think of a few but I know there are more than these

Isildurs Bane

tell us about your favs and what makes them great

and forget whether or not someone else will consider them Prog or not. Just list what *you* personally like
    Don't want to nit pick, but Isildurs Bane formed in 1976. You are right about them not being Neo Prog though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Don't want to nit pick, but Isildurs Bane formed in 1976. You are right about them not being Neo Prog though.
    Yes, but their first album didn't come out until 1983, and as far as I remember they weren't gigging before that album. Lots of bands form many years before first album, but date of formation is irrelevant really. First album is when they become known or via lots of good gigs.

I was indeed referring to first album release, not when the band formed
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Most fucking progressive rock bands in the 80s did not play the cheap imitation game, seeing how this was obviously the complete antithesis of what the genre was all about.

Sweden had acts like Kultivator, Kräldjursanstalten (who admittedly formed in '79), Myrbein, Tribute, Zut Un Feu Rouge et al.

Norway had Kerrs Pink (who were as informed by folk-rock and new wave as by "symphonic" rock), Octopus, Thule, Holy Toy, Villblomst and many others.

West Germany had Schwarzarbeit, Werwolf, Amenophis and loads of others.

France had Tiemko, Edhels, La Rossa, Minimum Vital, Eider Stellaire and about 47 others I can think of - practically none of them blatantly "neo".

The US had However, Master Cylinder, Holding Pattern and much, much more. Québec had Miriodor, Wondeur Brass etc.

Mexico had Galie, High Fidelity Orchestra, Nobilis Factum, Iconoclasta, Caja de Pandora, Nazca etc. Argentina had Pablo el Enterrador and Agnus and ca. 34 others, Brazil had Quantum and Tellah and 87 more.

Czechoslowakia saw the birth of Uz Jsme Döma, Hokr, Domacï Kapëla, Bittova/Dunaj and MCH Band (plus 49 more groups), all of whom were as influenced by the idea of emulating Genesis/Yes/Floyd as they probably were by totin' a cocoa hemorrhoid and pretending it to be a cigarillo.

And some of these names were actually rather successful in their respective lands. There were hundreds of other acts too. It was absolytt inkredipel how anybodies woud make a ploglock and NOT have face cosmetic, potatothroat-voice and flowerpot theatrical hat.

Nah, I'm only kidding. In fact there was only Rush and then British neo-sympho, and THEN all of a sudden came that - uhm - that THIRD WAVE!! THAT's how it surely was.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM