Thread: Saw James Taylor Last Week

Saw James Taylor Last Week

My wife is a huge James Taylor fan, not untypical for women who were in high school in the early 70s (must have been several thousand of them in attendance that night). I think she's seen him in concert at least eight times, this would be the sixth time for me. Musically, it's a long way from my usual tastes. But the thing about JT is he surrounds himself with extraordinary players and it's always an opportunity to see some players who are in the upper tier. Last time I saw Taylor was when he toured with Carole King. The legendary Leland Sklar was on bass that night and even when the song didn't do it for me, there were these lovely bass runs just rippling through the auditorium.

Steve Gadd was Taylor's drummer on this tour. I've never Gadd in the flesh so I was looking forward to it. On the old chestnut "Country Roads", which Taylor usually plays without much change in the arrangement, Gadd was set free to create a middle section that went to places a James Taylor song had never gone before. "Blue Lou" Marini was back on horns, playing everything from sax to the penny whistle. Luis Conte was fascinating on percussion. I can't remember the name of the bass player but he was in fine form. And the guitarist, Mike Landau, was channeling Peter Green when they hit "Steamroller". The sound was impeccable, loud but absolutely clear. Taylor's voice is still pretty supple. I guess singing soft rock for over forty years is easy on the pipes.

While it wasn't the best show I'd ever seen, it was entertaining. Taylor and the band were solid pros but there was a genuine passion in their performance. Plus it was the night before our 35th wedding anniversary so hey, I won some major points. All of which I'll expend when I drag my wife to see The Who next fall.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    so hey, I won some major points. .
    Get lucky?

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I have only seen Taylor once but was very pleasantly surprised. He puts on a much more energetic show than I had expected and as you say he surrounds himself with the cream of the crop when it comes to musicians. I would see him again if he ever came back around to my area.

Jimmy Johnson is his bass player......JT's band is crackerjack, man. Great stuff. I appreciate JT though it's not something I listen to often...but he did an appearance on Michael Brecker's ballad album that was pretty nice, too.

I've generally always enjoyed Taylor and thought he was talented ever since the Sweet Baby James album. Sure not every album was brilliant, but he had a substance to him.

Suspended
    I used to have Sweet Baby James, and sill have Mud Slide Slim, I don't listen to it all that often these days, but it's still enjoyable.

He did lose me afterwards with all those covers, especially easy-listening style versions of songs like How Sweet It is, which sounds like a pale imitation of the original. And "Handyman", a ridiculous song to begin with but one I can kind of laugh along with, sounds even more ridiculous delivered in his slow soulful style.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Jimmy Johnson is his bass player......JT's band is crackerjack, man. Great stuff. I appreciate JT though it's not something I listen to often...but he did an appearance on Michael Brecker's ballad album that was pretty nice, too.
    Jimmy Johnson as in "Flim (& The BBs)"??
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm a big fan - he's got a line on melancholy that reverberates with me. 'You Can Close Your Eyes' is a song I simply can't hear without getting emotional.

I also think he was one of the very best vocalists of the 70s - a really fine voice. And it's still pretty good!

Saw him a couple of years ago with Carole King - a wonderful evening.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Jimmy Johnson as in "Flim (& The BBs)"??
    yes indeed, the same

I'm an old JT fan, but I thought he lost his voice a few years ago when I heard some live stuff. Glad that he's doing ok now.
    Yeah, he usually has the A team band with him. I also love Sklar's playing and Steve Gadd is a wonderful jazz drummer.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

My wife, her cousin, and I saw JT last night at Bethel Woods. I am not a huge JT fan but I do appreciate and dig some of his tunes. Fun night! His band was absolutely ridiculous, yet underutilized imo due the "simplistic" nature of his music. Insane cast of characters:

Larry Goldings (piano)
    Michael Landau (guitar)
    Jimmy Johnson (bass)
    Michito Sanchez (percussion)
    Steve Gadd (drums)
    Walt Fowler (trumpet/keys)
    Lou Marini (sax)

plus exceptional vocal talent.

The band and backup singers are extraordinary. HOWEVER, it's the same set list every damn tour. Drives me nuts. Even my wife (his #1 fan) complains.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The band and backup singers are extraordinary. HOWEVER, it's the same set list every damn tour. Drives me nuts. Even my wife (his #1 fan) complains.
    I'm sure. Probably the one and only time we'll see him. Glad I did. Tears for Fears next Wednesday, Bethel Woods again. Place is amazing and only 70 minutes from our house.

I'm a fan as well, tho seeing him a couple of time would be enough for me. I'd rather see him than the Who, ymmv. I pulled out many of his albums sometime back to hear again.