Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attention, bass players

I have the cd, and have been really listening to it a lot, more than most other releases this year, it's not my typical musical guilty pleasure, but the hooks, the musicianship, production and freshness is something that really sounds great, some moments of greatness on the disc, and for a debut by a band so young, they can only get better, I really don't see them going too much more in the pop direction given the musical vocabulary they have been inspired by.

So a difference of opinion is no longer allowed I see. The musicians are great, but the music does nothing for me. Tough crowd is right.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    So a difference of opinion is no longer allowed I see.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    So a difference of opinion is no longer allowed I see. The musicians are great, but the music does nothing for me. Tough crowd is right.
    I don't think anybody's saying difference of opinion is not allowed. It's always slightly shocking when some people think something's great and others think it sucks, though you'd think we'd be used to that by now.

As for myself, I'm not a fan of dance-pop at all, but these guys found a way to make me like it by utilizing elements that usually don't exist within it. In fact, I wonder if your normal person who likes music you can dance to would even be able to dance to this stuff with some of the rhythmic curve balls they throw in there.

I figured that the biggest turn off to some people would be the singing, but I'm a fan of gospel/r&b singing, at least when it's done well. I'll admit, the guy is "over-the-top" more often than I'd prefer, but I do think he's an amazing singer (and a damn good keyboard player too). Maybe it's weird to hear a white Swedish kid sing like Stevie Wonder, but hell, he can pull it off, so why not?!

That bass player slays me; I hear the influences of several of my favorite bass players in his playing. In an interview on YT, he said that his main man is Gary Willis of Tribal Tech, who's in my Top 5.

Anyway, you can love it, hate it, or anything in between, it's all good. I happened to find myself liking it a lot and I wouldn't even call it a "guilty pleasure." I just think it's really good music, regardless of it's genre.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I don't think anybody's saying difference of opinion is not allowed. It's always slightly shocking when some people think something's great and others think it sucks, though you'd think we'd be used to that by now.

As for myself, I'm not a fan of dance-pop at all, but these guys found a way to make me like it by utilizing elements that usually don't exist within it. In fact, I wonder if your normal person who likes music you can dance to would even be able to dance to this stuff with some of the rhythmic curve balls they throw in there.

I figured that the biggest turn off to some people would be the singing, but I'm a fan of gospel/r&b singing, at least when it's done well. I'll admit, the guy is "over-the-top" more often than I'd prefer, but I do think he's an amazing singer (and a damn good keyboard player too). Maybe it's weird to hear a white Swedish kid sing like Stevie Wonder, but hell, he can pull it off, so why not?!

That bass player slays me; I hear the influences of several of my favorite bass players in his playing. In an interview on YT, he said that his main man is Gary Willis of Tribal Tech, who's in my Top 5.

Anyway, you can love it, hate it, or anything in between, it's all good. I happened to find myself liking it a lot and I wouldn't even call it a "guilty pleasure." I just think it's really good music, regardless of it's genre.
    Well said, you took a lot of words right out of my mouth. Thanks for the info on Willis, too, I like him as well. He and I used to correspond quite a bit, as we were both heavy into mountain biking.