Thread: (welcomes self)

(welcomes self)

Hi, I'm new here, but I'm not new to Prog. I see Finch and FA -- Hi! (waves) -- anyone else I know?

I've been accused of liking weird music, and though I initially balked, I have come to the conclusion that that person is right.

Still haven't worked my way up to the total chaos of Birds of Fire yet, though, but I love Happy the Man, "Ace of Wands", "Space Boogie", so I guess my mind just an upper limit beyond which it won't go...? Just a theory...I know what I like, is all.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Welcome Dusty Chalk! Looks like you're into the fusion side of progressive music? Any of the straight forward Prog Rock bands (symphonic, metal, rio, etc.) float your boat?

Enjoy your stay!

Thanks!

Yes, I love all types of music -- mostly prog, but not just prog -- like a lot of prog metal (don't really get the cookie monster vocals, but the music underneath is sufficiently interesting that I still listen to it; still prefer clean singing).

Don't know what rio is, though. (wanders off, looks it up) Oh, okay -- yes, some, but as I've gotten older, I've been less interested and have become more interested in songcraft (a lot of rio strikes me as improvisation based).

Current favourites are Big Big Train, Pineapple Thief, Riverside, Phideaux, and Beardfish. But I have a tendency to like most everything.
    Last edited by Dusty Chalk; 12-01-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    Hi, I'm new here, but I'm not new to Prog. I see Finch and FA -- Hi! (waves) -- anyone else I know?
    How do we know if you know us, if we don't know who you are ?

Because I go by Dusty Chalk everywhere -- if you knew me, you'd know that, so if you don't, you probably don't. I used to be a lot more active on a lot of different fora. I knew Finch and FA and 3lockbox from RaveRecs (not quite dead, but on life support), that's why I asked.

That said, it's not that important.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

How ya like it so far?

I do!

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Welcome!

I haven't gotten past cookie monster vocals. While this puts some interesting stuff out of my reach, I really don't feel the lack. Turn over enough stones and I find something of interest pops up.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Yeah, me neither. I've pretty much taken to listening "past" growled vocals.

Nice to meet you all!
    I do like your progressive music community. My last discovery is "The Dear Hunter".
    Enjoy getting acquainted with them, if you haven't done that yet))

Cheers,
    Lu

Welcome, Dusty and Lu!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Banned
    Hello all! I'm brand spanking new to PE but a long time music fan, I've been hanging out and even hosting private music forums, cruising Gnosis, ProgArchives etc. and thought I'd look for a new community of like minded people and maybe learn something new. I've recognized one name already (Hi Steve F. it's me Bill S. I'm one of your original mail order customers and even used to come by your house to pick up the latest vinyl. Thanks for being nice to me that day when I wrecked my car at the end of your street and came knocking on your door slobbering away, ha ha!).

Anyway I got bit by the bug back in 1976 I guess when I saw Gentle Giant open for Jethro Tull who was my favorite band at the time, but I ended up being even more impressed with GG who then became my new favorite band. I then moved on to old Genesis, Van Der Graaf Generator (my sentimental fave - attended the reunion in 2005 in London), Henry Cow, RIO (went to the RIO festival in Camus France in 2010), and a lot of Canterbury bands, Kraut Rock etc. and haven't stopped listening since. I've been very very bad the last few years about buying new music and getting out there and seeing live gigs for various reasons but hope to get back into the swing of things.

I still enjoy a nice blast on my second-hand, e-bay acquired rig centered on an old Carver Amp and B&W Matrix speakers.

Hope I can contribute something to the discussion - hope I haven't bored you all already! Cheers! ;-)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Welcome Buddhabreath, you'll find plenty of Avantheads here, I've been to the last 4 RIO festivals.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Thanks Nog - good to know. And as regards to your avatar - I love that MGP album - superb.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Welcome! I look forward to your posts.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Likewise! Enjoy your stay, Bill!

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Welcome aboard the PE train Bill. Fasten your seat belt, order a cognac, and enjoy the ride!

One does one eat to get Buddha breath?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

You gotta eat a lot of lotus!