Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw Umphrey's McGee Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I wouldn't say they get dissed by much of the prog community, just a vocal minority. That being said, they're not a prog band, they're a jam band. They're much more aligned with the likes of the Dead or Phish than King Crimson or ELP. But who needs labels eh? They do just fine with their current fanbase and don't need to play in seated only venues to a bunch of pot-bellied geeks who will analyze the fuck out of every note they play, just looking for flaws.

...and then they'd have to meet and greet these dweebs and endure their insufferable critiques in person!

Now I don't want to paint all prog fans with one broad brush stroke, but, to paraphrase a well-know idiom: " If the 1973 Yes World Tour T-shirt doesn't fit...."

Personally I disagree with the Dead and Phish comparisons. Yes, they attract some of the same audience, but to my ears their music is totally different. I have never gotten into either The Dead or Phish (and believe me I have tried), yet I totally dig Umphrey’s. To me Umphrey’s jams have a lot more structure and I don’t hear nearly as much noodling as with the Dead or Phish. I also think their lyrics and songwriting in general are better for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by devoidzer0 View Post

The only reason I think UM isn't a household name is that they may be TOO diverse for a lot of people. In our circle, I can see that a lot of the prog fans find them too jammy, and I'm sure a lot of the jam band fans find them too proggy. If they were to commit to one or the other style, they'd probably be a household name. But I think it's their diversity that makes them great.
    Good point.

written;" If the 1973 Yes World Tour T-shirt doesn't fit...."

My 1976 Yes shirt fits, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Good point.
    Yeah, what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    "prog" fans don't generally like to be challenged, musically
    the most sig-worthy post of the year!
    someone just *has* to pick this up for their sig!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Label them however you like - they are a great and talented band.

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    Label them however you like - they are a great and talented band.
    "Nuff said"

Seeing them for the first time in NYC at the Beacon in January. Looking forward to it.