Thread: Fossil collectors

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

Fossil collectors

Anyone else on PE into collecting fossils or meteorites?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    A lot of people on PE remember when the fossils were alive.

not really, but there is a fossil bed here, along the Ohio River. there's a dam on one end of it, so sometimes the bed is covered in water and sometimes it's dry enough to walk all over it. http://www.fallsoftheohio.org/

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...50.KdOs6ZdP5es

can you collect fossils there? or are they off limits?
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 11-04-2014 at 01:40 PM. Reason: chili is not chili without sour cream and corn chips

"Fishing, hiking and casual walking, fossil viewing, bird watching, and picnicking are among the most common activities.

While fossil and rock collecting is not allowed to protect our resources for future generations, the park staff encourages visitors to explore and discover the many different types of fossils that can be found on the ancient sea floor. The Discovery Center button (above left) provides details about the park's natural and cultural resources - archaeology, birding, flora, fossils, George Rogers Clark and Lewis and Clark are featured."

and this explains: http://www.fallsoftheohio.org/brochures/why_can't_I_collect_at_Falls.pdf

Hobbyist here. From childhood. Bones, fish, wood. I have been taking my children and now grand kids to a couple spots about 30 miles outside of Delta Utah.
    Pay sites for Trilobites. We affectionately call "bugs". Success guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by proghutch View Post
    Hobbyist here. From childhood. Bones, fish, wood. I have been taking my children and now grand kids to a couple spots about 30 miles outside of Delta Utah.
    Pay sites for Trilobites. We affectionately call "bugs". Success guaranteed.
    Cool! I ought to go out to one of these places out west! I have quite a few I purchased from sellers on ebay (I know some are questionable there, so I try to be careful). I was in upstate NY once at a hotel with a shale quarry behind it and grabbed a few from it.

Not a collector, so to speak, but if I find something, I keep looking. My daughter went to Ithaca College in upstate New York and there are lots of gorges and waterfalls up there. One day while walking through one, I found a fossilized hunk of mud loaded with shell impressions and worm trails. Continuing to look I found a fossil clam - both halves still closed. Every time we'd go visit Lian, we'd all go to a gorge and hunt, and we'd always find something. Nothing special, but cool enough. My real prize is a coprolite, fossilized dino poop, a friend sent me years ago.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Just look at the average record collection from any member here to realise that yes, they collect fossils....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

As a youngster I was a dinosaur freak and had parents that took us on family vacations to places with cool geology and fossils.
    Not collecting so much any more, but still look around.
    The Calvert Cliffs area of the Maryland coast is well known for marine fossils, shell, sharks teeth, etc.
    Maryland fossils/fossil_collecting
    A big ole' list of places
    A state by state( and province ) list of fossil sites
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    When I was in Summer camp in New Hampshire we went on a field trip to a place in the woods where they killed us and buried us. JK! No, a place where you could find cool crystals just rooting around under rocks and stuff. It was really cool - I found a lot.

First song on TRM's 'Fossileyes"

My wife is a Geologist and I have always been a rock hound. We have been all over collecting fossils and minerals from a variety of sites. We were in Wyoming a couple of summers ago digging on the Green River Formation for fish fossils. We are going to Florida in 2 weeks and while there hope to go to Ruck's and dig fossil clams. Many have dog tooth calcite crystals in them.

Forgot to add that there are several good (legal) locations in Arizona and Utah that you can collect Petrified Wood.
    Last edited by LighthouseKeeper; 11-05-2014 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Add

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    As a youngster I was a dinosaur freak and had parents that took us on family vacations to places with cool geology and fossils.
    Not collecting so much any more, but still look around.
    The Calvert Cliffs area of the Maryland coast is well known for marine fossils, shell, sharks teeth, etc.
    Maryland fossils/fossil_collecting
    A big ole' list of places
    A state by state( and province ) list of fossil sites
    Thanks!

Yup. A geologist by training here. The western US is best for variety, accessibility, and ease of discovery (much less soil and vegetation).

There are some great opportunities to collect out here in the southwest. But it is often a trade-off: the places I know about here mean that you'll waste away the soles of your boots on the differentially-weathered limestone but you'll add some nice marine fossils to your collection. And the sharp ridges will absolutely rip your pants up.