Thread: You could own an Alex Lifeson original painting of Alex and Geddy

You could own an Alex Lifeson original painting of Alex and Geddy

Alex has donated an original painting of himself and Geddy Lee to the Kidney Foundation of Canada. The painting is being auctioned on eBay. As of the time of this post the bid was just over $3700 USD with six days to go.

It's a very cool painting. I wish I had the money to bid.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/361097757506?...MakeTrack=true

Wow, who knew Alex had such artistic talent with a brush and canvas?! I've never heard anything about him being a painter in all the years I've followed Rush. I was expecting something lame but this is very good.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Do you think he painted that free hand? It's SO photo-realistic, I think you have to be quite talented to do that without resorting to something like projecting a photo onto the canvas and essentially painting by numbers.

Actually I just zoomed in and it's less detailed than I thought, but I still think he did something to make it easier. Not that there's anything wrong with that, although I don't care for the results.

“8 x 10 x 1 1/4 stretched canvas acrylic painted photo image."

Not sure exactly what that means, but sounds like he painted over top of a printed photo.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

Not sure exactly what that means, but sounds like he painted over top of a printed photo.
    Yeah, now that I look at it some more, it does look like when you put a photo in an image editing program and soften/diffuse everything. It could indeed be a "paint-by-numbers" work...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I own two limited edition prints by Alex and he is a very talented artist. But even I thought this was a bit too good, even for him. The "painted photo image" makes sense. I didn't notice it said that.

I'd still love to own it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Yeah, now that I look at it some more, it does look like when you put a photo in an image editing program and soften/diffuse everything. It could indeed be a "paint-by-numbers" work...
    Yeah, I think it's more than simply using the "watercolor" filter in Photoshop. I'm guessing he actually painted over the photo print on canvas.

Odd photo choice, though. You'd think they'd get more bites if it was an image of the three band members. But, hey, give them credit for anything they do for charity.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

DAMN, with those 2112 silver dresses and the lipgloss in mind I was hopin' for that to be a nude painting.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I could own it, but I think I prefer not to.

It's an overpainted photo.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    It's an overpainted photo.
    Do you think there's actually a photo underneath the paint, or as I was guessing a photo is projected on the canvas and he paints "over" that? Is painting directly onto a photo like that a "thing?"

Either way, as I said it's the end product that's important and if someone likes it great. The result is kind of horrible, IMO. I wouldn't do that and call myself a painter unless I had some way of doing it that really "worked" and I felt I was doing something substantially different from the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you think there's actually a photo underneath the paint, or as I was guessing a photo is projected on the canvas and he paints "over" that? Is painting directly onto a photo like that a "thing?"

Either way, as I said it's the end product that's important and if someone likes it great. The result is kind of horrible, IMO. I wouldn't do that and call myself a painter unless I had some way of doing it that really "worked" and I felt I was doing something substantially different from the photo.

He's not being misleading at all about it. It's clearly a photo that was printed on canvas and then painted over. But, for what it is, it's done quite well by someone who knows what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

He's not being misleading at all about it. It's clearly a photo that was printed on canvas and then painted over. But, for what it is, it's done quite well by someone who knows what they're doing.
    I'm not saying he's being misleading, though I do think that description leaves a little room for interpretation.