Thread: Question about Nero normalizing

Question about Nero normalizing

I have some quiet tracks on a compilation I'm burning. Do I click every track to be normalized or just the quiet tracks?

wish I could help you out. where did you get your Nero program?

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    I have some quiet tracks on a compilation I'm burning. Do I click every track to be normalized or just the quiet tracks?
    It completely depends on the tracks and how they are leveled already. Sure, do every track. All that means though is that the single loudest peak in any given track will be set to a maximum level equal to every other maximum peak. If you had, say, a very soft piano track with a cannon shot in the middle of it after peak normalizing you would still have a soft piano track with a loud cannon shot in the middle of it. Ironically, if you have a very soft track without stray peaks and you normalize it you may wind up with a track that sounds louder than a rock track with drums mixed out front. It's complex. Beyond that you're getting into the world of compressing and limiting. (Do not use RMS/averaging normalization unless you really know what you're doing!!)

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    All that means though is that the single loudest peak in any given track will be set to a maximum level equal to every other maximum peak. If you had, say, a very soft piano track with a cannon shot in the middle of it after peak normalizing you would still have a soft piano track with a loud cannon shot in the middle of it. Ironically, if you have a very soft track without stray peaks and you normalize it you may wind up with a track that sounds louder than a rock track with drums mixed out front. It's complex.
    You're absolutely right and that's the main reason I never normalise tracks for any of my CDR compilations. I simply prefer a "soft" amplification of tracks recorded from "quiter" sources (as analogue vinyl recordings vs CDs) in order to sound closer to CD source recording level.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Normalizing is not good for the music, but might be a good thing for music played in a noisy car ?

I found a volume button next to the equaliser which you cam adjust for every track. Think that was the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Normalizing is not good for the music, but might be a good thing for music played in a noisy car ?
    It's a little more complex than that. Most good DAW software will fix brick walling (over modulation or clipping) while performing normalization so it can be very useful for repairing waveform damage from recording too hot. Normalization is not the same as compression -- normalization simply reduces the level of everything (or raises it) so the peaks are at the level you set (-1 dB or whatever).

Compression reduces the dynamic range by raising the quiet bits while lowering the loud bits. I think that's what you meant when you said "not good for the music" -- but even that's not necessarily true if applied with restraint.

Normalizing all tracks, individually, to the same peak level can cause weird results like making a flute solo track as loud as a rock band track. Normalizing a whole album all at once keeps the correct balance between the loud and soft tracks, without clipping.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 11-10-2014 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

Compression reduces the dynamic range by raising the quiet bits while lowering the loud bits. I think that's what you meant when you said "not good for the music"
    It was. Turning the volume up & down when driving is a bit exhausting, so car versions might be usefull.

I find normalising the sound on compilations is essential.

Try mp3gain