Thread: Mike Portnoy in Bigelf

Mike Portnoy in Bigelf

Well, it's only for 9 shows, first was earlier today (yesterday?) in Switzerland. Anyone go? Going? http://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/concerts.aspx
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

A realllllyyyy baaaaadddddddddddd idea!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ugh, that blue beard and that dumb hat on the same stage!

Portnoy's an interesting interview, but I don't care much for Bigelf with or without Mike.

what's wrong with a beard dyed blue?

Nothing. Now if it was magenta.....

BigElf are heading away from the sound I loved from them. I only sampled their latest because I got very little mileage out of the one before. They peaked with HEX imo....

When they opened for PT here a few years back, I felt like the only one in the audience who knew any of their music! Damon would ask a question and you'd only hear me yelling back!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Well this is interesting. I don't much like Hex or Cheat the Gallows, but I sure like the samples of Into the Maelstrom. I gotta get that one.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post

Ah, the name of the new Sacred Cows CD, What's Wrong With A Beard Dyed Blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Ah, the name of the new Sacred Cows CD, What's Wrong With A Beard Dyed Blue?

Portnoy already played with Big Elf on the Prog Cruise earlier this year, and it was a fun show.

^ I tried to make that laughing face a font size 7. didn't work. Sounds like a pirate-oriented record.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    A realllllyyyy baaaaadddddddddddd idea!
    like putting the 'ooo oooooo's' in 'Sympathy for the Devil'.

I really enjoy Into the Maelstrom. I wish it didn't suffer from brickwall mastering, though. Portnoy's relatively restrained on it, too.

Portnoy's an interesting interview, but I don't care much for Bigelf with or without Mike.

It's just dumb looking - IMO of course, YMMV. I find it kind of weird that he decided one day that he wanted his beard to be blue.

Don't get me started on Clive Nolan's dyed hair.

BEND SINISTER!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's just dumb looking - IMO of course, YMMV. I find it kind of weird that he decided one day that he wanted his beard to be blue.

Don't get me started on Clive Nolan's dyed hair.
    I think you're a self-starter, pal. I don't know who Clive Nolan is. I've never had any problem with anyone dying their hair any color or men their facial hair. In fact, on women I love it. and it's harmless. there are much worse things people could do.
    my question is, in the context you used 'YMMV', what is it short for?

Mike Portnoy ruined Bigelf.

I think you're a self-starter, pal. I don't know who Clive Nolan is. I've never had any problem with anyone dying their hair any color or men their facial hair. In fact, on women I love it. and it's harmless. there are much worse things people could do.
    my question is, in the context you used 'YMMV', what is it short for?
    Come on, you've been here long enough to know who Clove Nolan is and what YMMV stands for.

I don't like that blue or pink dyed hair on men or women. And hair dyed blonde on men just does not work at all. Just my opinion.

I've only been a PEer/ite/ian member since 1999. Most of my time here is spent in Off-Topic and Way off topic. I don't know who Clove Nolan is. I think YMMV stands for Yer Mileage My Vary, but that don't make sense the way you used it, so I assumed it's an ambiguous acronym. I like women's hair dyed any color at all or even different colored strands. unnatural color in men's hair is fine too. Even Buzz Osborne's hair doesn't bother me. i.e., see photo.

images (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Mike Portnoy ruined Bigelf.
    he's been studying Phil Collins on how to ruin any band you want to ruin

I've only been a PEer/ite/ian member since 1999. Most of my time here is spent in Off-Topic and Way off topic. I don't know who Clove Nolan is. I think YMMV stands for Yer Mileage My Vary, but that don't make sense the way you used it, so I assumed it's an ambiguous acronym. I like women's hair dyed any color at all or even different colored strands. unnatural color in men's hair is fine too. Even Buzz Osborne's hair doesn't bother me. i.e., see photo.

images (2).jpg
    So you've only been a PE member for 15 years. Only.

Clove Nolan! Love that typo. Clive Nolan is keyboard player for a ton of neo prog bands. Pendragon, Arena, Shadowlands (is that right?), a lot of lesser things.

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary meaning you may get something different out of this than I do.

Clove Nylon is my new official alter ego.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Come on, you've been here long enough to know who Clove Nolan is ...
    I was following your example
    I don't know that I've heard Pendragon, Arena or Shadowlands, but you can bet your sweet bippie I'm going to check them out now. okay, thanks for widening my understanding of YMMV. If I go to Chattanooga for a concert, I"ll buy you a drink if you're there. if you don't drink, we'll figure out something else.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Clove Nylon is my new official alter ego.