Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 10 Fave Lead Synthesizer Solos

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    That whole freakin' box set is superb! One of the best kept secrets out there until Dave hipped us to it. Thanks a bunch!
    The sound quality could be better. (And it was John who hipped us to it) The synth solo that Walt mentioned has 2 different sounds going on, and the first part has the character of electric piano but with sustained notes. (And all the while Storlokken's playing the bass part--there's no bassist in the trio).

I'm guessing that they are soundboard recordings? Not great, but definitely listenable. I just crank up the volume and get into it!

I have no problem with the sound quality on "Very Much Alive".It's not state of the art but more than acceptable,imo.There's a lot of music here, and some of it just doesn't float my boat, but there's more than enough excellence to merit some superlatives.I still haven't played all the cd's.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I always love Space Intro by Steve Miller Band and the intro to Steve's Jungle Love. Used to blast these in the late 70s when I got my first hifi system.

Does that sort of stuff count? If so, let me add "Electro Lux Imbroglio", and the intro to "Mr. Crowley" (Ozzy).

Suspended
    Manfred Mann's Earth band - You Angel You

The song itself is OK enough, nothing really special, but I do love the intro.

Lucky Man x ten. End of thread.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Sometime I find it hard to differentiate between synthesizers and guitars, but I've got eight that spring to mind:
    Pete Townshend - Baba O'Riley from The Who's Who's Next
    Keith Emerson -On Greg Lake's I Believe in Father Christmas (based on Prokofiev), as well as ELP's Trilogy and Karn Evil 9 Third Impression.
    Manfred Mann - A track on The Roaring Silence, but I cannot remember which one and my CDs are behind a pile of washing which needs ironing.
    Patrick Moraz - Ritt Mikely from the Refugee album
    Dag Stokke - On Jorn Lande's version of Journey's Edge of the Blade, from his Starfire album
    Eddie Jobson's solo on Carrying No Cross from UK's Danger Money
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Not too long ago on the internet someone posted that they thought the solo in the Doors' "when the music over" was an early synth solo. I mentioned that it was actually a guitar solo. The only synth on that album is played by Morrison(apparently)on the title track "Strange Days." I actually can't think of many(if any)examples off the top of my head where I have confused a guitar with a synth. There must be something but I'm drawing a blank right now. Fripp has played some guitar that sounds like a violin though(or even a trumpet).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Cinema show--Banks
    Revealing Science of god--Wakeman
    Gates of Delirium---Moraz
    Hamburger Concerto---Van Leer
    Lot's of other Banks solo's too numerous to mention.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    I always love Space Intro by Steve Miller Band.
    I had to look this up. I always thought this was part of the song Fly Like an Eagle. I don't think I have ever heard one played without the other.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I had to look this up. I always thought this was part of the song Fly Like an Eagle. I don't think I have ever heard one played without the other.
    Yep. Speaking of synth intros you don't hear "1984" played without "Jump" following it either. That's the closest comparison I could think of. Anyway, I always thought that was part of "fly like an eagle" also.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I actually can't think of many(if any)examples off the top of my head where I have confused a guitar with a synth. There must be something but I'm drawing a blank right now. Fripp has played some guitar that sounds like a violin though(or even a trumpet).
    The first time I heard Evening Star, I forget the name of the track with the guitar harmonics in it, but when the fuzz solo started, I thought that was a synth.

When we first heard Be Good Johnny by Men At Work me and my friends thought the intro was a synth. It wasn't until I saw a Men At Work concert on MTV that I realized it was actually guitar with the rhythmic echo thing. Now, it sounds completely obvious, but back in the 4th grade, it wasn't. At least not to us it wasn't.

There's that middle section in the Queen song Get Down Make Love, which is Dr. Brian May playing the Old Lady through a first generation Harmonizer.

And talking of making the guitar sound like a trumpet, Dr. May wins that contest hands down with the multi-tracked "brass band" on Good Company, which is actually all guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Sometime I find it hard to differentiate between synthesizers and guitars, but I've got eight that spring to mind:
    Pete Townshend - Baba O'Riley from The Who's Who's Next
    That's actually an electric organ, a Lowrey, with the "marimba repeat" setting engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That's actually an electric organ, a Lowrey, with the "marimba repeat" setting engaged.
    He definitely did use synths, just check out the Tommy soundtrack, for example. I know for sure he owned both an ARP 2500 and 2600, and at least used a VCS3...though the latter mainly to treat other instruments (the trapezoid on the Lowrey on “Won’t Get Fooled Again” and the envelope follower on the guitar on “Goin’ Mobile”). The 2500 gets a good workout on “Who Are You.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Who said Pete didn't use synths? He just said Baba wasn't a synth- and it's not

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    He definitely did use synths, just check out the Tommy soundtrack, for example. I know for sure he owned both an ARP 2500 and 2600, and at least used a VCS3...though the latter mainly to treat other instruments (the trapezoid on the Lowrey on “Won’t Get Fooled Again” and the envelope follower on the guitar on “Goin’ Mobile”). The 2500 gets a good workout on “Who Are You.”
    Yes, you are correct there are synths on Who's Next (and all subsequent Who albums, other than The Who By Numbers). But the original poster specifically mentioned Baba O'Riley, and we know now that's actually the Lowrey organ on marimba repeat.

For the record, on Won't Get Fooled Again, it's both the trapezoid generator giving you the pulsing effect and the filter with the LFO giving you the "waaah-waaah" effect. I remember on the combo organ website, someone suggested using a repeat percussion effect on the organ with a wah wah pedal, to get that sound, but apparently the repeat percussion effect works in a different manner, it doesn't gate all the notes on and off rhythmically the way the trapezoid generator does on that track. And it's actually the same Lowrey organ that he used on Baba O'Riley that's being fed into the synth's external input.

On Goin' Mobile, I think he's got the guitar running through either one of the ARP synths, because I don't think the VCS-3 had an envelope follower on it. It's been a long time since I've heard that track, my memory is telling me that it's more a sample and hold effect (which the VCS-3 doesn't have either), but I might be misremembering.

At any rate, you are correct though that Townshend used his synths as signal processors for his other instruments quite often. Eno did a fair bit of that later in the 70's, and there's a bit of that on early King Crimson records (eg the vocal on 21st Century Schizoid Man and Happy Family, the drum solo on the Earthbound version of Groon, etc). There's also a video on Youtube of Tangerine Dream, circa 1973, where Peter Baumann appears to be do vocals through the VCS-3, using the same sort of trapezoid settings that Townshend used on Won't Get Fooled Again.

Actually, one of my favorite Townshend synth tracks is Bell Boy. The synths on that sound pretty cool. And I've always loved that bit in Sister Disco that links the verse into the chorus. There's also some pretty cool synth stuff on the Overture and It's A Boy on the Tommy soundtrack too.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Who said Pete didn't use synths? He just said Baba wasn't a synth- and it's not
    Dammit, did I really spend five minutes constructing that last post?! Oy! I need to get out more!

Back on the subject of guitars that sound like synths: Inventions for Electric Guitar obviously needs to be mentioned here. It’s just Manuel Göttsching and his guitar, but it sure sounds like synths/sequencers a lot of the time! There were actually synths on New Age of Earth and Blackouts but in comparison to IFEG, I’ll bet we’re hearing a lot more guitars than it sounds like.

Il Balletto di Bronzo’s Ys also pops into my head. There’s a lot of synth-y sounding guitar on that one (especially that very heavy vibrato effect that sounds like an LFO).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

One of my favourite Townshend synth moments is the intro to "Eminence Front".