Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Ayreon : Universal Migrator - Parts 1 and 2

FEATURED CD - Ayreon : Universal Migrator - Parts 1 and 2

The 2-part (not double CD) Universal Migrator by Ayreon - called "Part 1 - The Dream Sequencer" and "Part 2 - Flight Of The Migrator" respectively.

Per Allmusic :
    Part 1 :

Ayreon is the brainchild of multi-instrumentalist Arjen Anthony Lucassen as this 2000 release represents Part I of the separately issued, two-part science fiction-based Universal Migrator CDs. Musically, The Dream Sequencer signifies tranquillity and serenity in conjunction with the "last of the Mars Colonists" who have depleted their resources thanks to a catastrophic, albeit futuristic war. And besides the rather far-flung yet pleasingly affable concept, the crystalline recording in concert with the musicians' often dazzling and altogether sympathetic interplay equates to a thoroughly enterprising affair that sustains interest. Lucassen enlists a multinational cast of vocalists and musicians for an exposition that at times elicits fond memories of early-'70s Pink Floyd-style dream-laden vistas. However, the band does indeed perform with a late-'90s edge, while also maintaining a consistently identifiable sound and style as many of these textural soundscapes are enhanced by sweet-tempered vocals, layered synths, and seductive melodies that skirt the fringes of ambient electronica and classic progressive rock. Whereas, Lucassen excels as an accomplished guitarist and colorist who chooses his notes wisely yet is equally adept at seizing the moment by way of bone-crushing leads and concisely executed chord progressions. The Dream Sequencer is brimming with climactic overtures, enticing vocal harmonies, and memorably melodic themes. Basically, Lucassen's strong compositions and alluring arrangements strike an engaging chord as the music and overall production hearken back to the glory days of defiantly inventive progressive rock. Highly recommended.

Part 2 :

Flight of the Migrator represents the second of the separately issued, two-part science fiction-based Universal Migrator CDs. Once again, multi-instrumentalist Arjen Anthony Lucassen employs a multinational aggregation of vocalists and keyboardists to supplement his existential visions. And while the excellent Part I: The Dream Sequencer is primarily an ambient/electronic progressive rock-based outing, Part II of this series figuratively takes the willing listener back to the beginning of time, as the hard-edged prog/metallic stylizations parallel a stewing universe, i.e., "The Big Bang." Throughout this affair, the music contrasts the expertly crafted dreamscapes witnessed on Part I as the musicians expound upon rapid unison choruses, shifty time signatures, and synth-led themes. The piece titled "Journey on the Waves of Time" boasts a memorably melodic hook thanks to Erik Norlander's meaty analog synthesizers as the overall vibe might rekindle notions of a typical Emerson, Lake & Palmer motif, although Ralf Scheepers icy, high-pitched vocals detract from the melodious effect. The band also utilizes strings and electro-acoustic interludes to counterbalance some of the high-impact proceedings amid Lucassen's penetrating and often blistering lines performed on electric guitar. Overall, Flight of the Migrator is a noteworthy release for the year 2000 yet some of these pieces are slightly amorphous in scope and fail to sustain any lasting degree of interest. However, Lucassen's applied concepts and compositional acumen fare much better on the highly recommended The Dream Sequencer.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/univer...r-mw0000068049
    and
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/univer...r-mw0000066480

Regards,

Duncan

My first ever foray into Prog Metal and one of my favorite Ayreon releases. To this day I can get instant earworms just thinking about this double set.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I adore these albums. I've given a couple of the other Ayreon album a go but never was able to get into their opera style presentation. I think what works for me on the Universal Migrator albums is that all the songs, while thematically linked, stand alone individually.

While both albums are thematically linked, they are aesthetically different. The first one being more keyboard driven neo-prog and dare I say somewhat new agey, the second one is pure prog/pomp metal. I tend to favor the first one the most because it just brims with melody and songcraft and its use of different singers keep it flowing from song to song.

The next album I tried after these two was Into The Electric Castle and while some of it was ok, most of it was downright corny.

2000 release? Has it really been 14 years? I jumped on these from a magazine review, and then tried to get any other releases from Ayreon I could.
    Loved this stuff and listened to them constantly for quite a while. It just doesn't seem like it was that long ago.

This is an excellent 2 parts album, pure joy for Ayreon fans, and any sci-fi prog-oriented fans.Edlund from Tiamat and Bruce Dickinson shine on the tracks their perform: House on Mars & Into the Black Hole.

Great pair of albums, highly enjoyable listening. Probably the best thing Arjen has ever done IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I adore these albums. I've given a couple of the other Ayreon album a go but never was able to get into their opera style presentation. I think what works for me on the Universal Migrator albums is that all the songs, while thematically linked, stand alone individually.

While both albums are thematically linked, they are aesthetically different. The first one being more keyboard driven neo-prog and dare I say somewhat new agey, the second one is pure prog/pomp metal. I tend to favor the first one the most because it just brims with melody and songcraft and its use of different singers keep it flowing from song to song.

The next album I tried after these two was Into The Electric Castle and while some of it was ok, most of it was downright corny.
    Ayreon is about 60% corn unfortunately. I wish the corn ratio were lower.

These are two of my all-time favorites. Great schmaltzy sci-fi theme and damn fine music.

Every now and then I dig these out and give them a spin. I particularly like The Dream Sequencer. When compared to what I'm listening to these days I'd have to call this a guilty pleasure.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

My favorite discs by Ayreon. While I continue to enjoy all the material he's released, this just represents the pinnacle for me. Perfect songwriting/performance/story that continues to hold up after all the (really that many????) years. Still dig these out occasionally.

I'm not a fan of Ayreon's music as to me it comes across as listening to a musical with all these different people singing their parts. Universal Migrator Part I is different though and it's the only release of His I will still spin. Part II seemed more attractive to me at the time with Bruce Dickinson singing on it but for my tastes it's not as good as Part I. Yes I have the two disc edition that is featured here.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I generally like Ayreon, and this is about as good as the rest of them.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Was already under the spell of Electric Castle when this pair was released. I was initially on the fence about the "harder" release, as I was not into prog-metal at the time. But I bought both and love them to this day. Those who continually cite the "cheese" or "corn" quotient of these earlier releases by Arjen seem tp forget they were deliberately, intentionally OTT.

I liked both CD's when I first got them. Dream Sequencer was my intro to Ayreon, which really isn't very representative of his work. Ultimately, I think it was a mistake to take the two sides of his "sound" and split them into two albums. This is why I tired of the second CD and gave it away. I still listen to the Dream Sequencer album from time to time. I like all the Ayreon albums to varying extents, Human Equation being his masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. There is no question the cheese factor is dialed up to 11 on all these albums, but for some reason it doesn't bother me. A guilty pleasure for sure.

I remember a few years back when Arjen joined PE and fired a few salvoes at people who criticized his work. When an artist does that, they totally lose my respect. We, the unwashed masses who consume their work, have every right to say what we damn please in the manner we choose to express it. When they, the artist, stoop to our level; they're the ones who looks ridiculous.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I remember a few years back when Arjen joined PE and fired a few salvoes at people who criticized his work. When an artist does that, they totally lose my respect. We, the unwashed masses who consume their work, have every right to say what we damn please in the manner we choose to express it. When they, the artist, stoop to our level; they're the ones who looks ridiculous.
    I said that these 2 albums were a "guilty pleasure". He hammered me aboyut the "guilty" part...
    Regards,

Duncan

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    He's a Guilt Machine!

This stands for any Ayreon album:

If it plays in the background it's an OK aural wallpaper. But the more I concentrate on the music, the harder it gets for me to endure. And it's looooooooong...............
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I can enjoy the odd slice of overt kitsch, but this guy's music is too much of that and way too little of much else.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Maybe Ayreon & Billy Sherwood can team up for a space opera, featuring members of Flash.

I got these when they came out, but unloaded them shortly thereafter. I think I was reaching my breaking point with the prog/metal bombast stuff, and this kind of tipped me over.

It could be a great soundtrack for some SyFy/Asylum Z-budget space war movie. Mega Asteroid Vs. Mecho-Comet, featuring Debbie Gibson and Scott Baio...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Has anyone listened to the latest Ayeron album recently? I heard it once not long after it was out and did not like it at all. So out if it comes a rhetorical question - does repeated listening bring more rewards?

Overall Lucassen has composed some really interesting songs on some Ayreon albums, but I don't think that he's great as far as instrumental parts go. He brings in some acceptable singers, composes some melodic stuff and catchy tunes, but instrumentally I wanted more when I listened to most of Ayreon. It's about the same with his other stuff - Star One and others.

And one more thing - I think I've said it previously that although I don't like the word "filler", most of these albums have too many songs on them which bring the overall quality down. The problem is not in the fact that there are too many songs, but rather that some of them are not too good. When you listen to the album, you think - why couldn't he just left best of CD 1 and CD 2 and make one album?

I got into Ayreon with “Electric Castle”. Yea, it was cheesy, but I still love it for the most part. I think these two albums were probably the high water mark for them. They are both great discs and I still pull them out from time to time.

The song “One Small Step” has always gotten to me a bit. I still have a very distinct memory of my dad getting me out of bed to watch the moon landing on our little black and white tv. I could have written those lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Maybe Ayreon & Billy Sherwood can team up for a space opera, featuring members of Flash.
    The funniest thing about this is just how few people in the world would understand why it's funny Prog humor is an acquired taste though

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

I got these when they came out, but unloaded them shortly thereafter. I think I was reaching my breaking point with the prog/metal bombast stuff, and this kind of tipped me over.
    I got Electric Castle and UM 1 and 2 when they came out. I liked them initially but they had a short shelf life, just didn't hold up well over time for me. I continued to buy his stuff and got off the bandwagon with The Human Equation. I disliked that one for a number of reasons which I can't recall, I think one of them might have been overly-wordy lyrics that sounded more like they should be spoken rather than sung. The only album from that period that has staying power for me is Star One: Space Metal. I still like that one a lot. And I also like Arjen's contributions to Erik Norlander's "Into the Sunset" album.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...