Thread: Allman Brothers Final Concert

Banned

The end of an era.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I read about this a couple days ago. I'm sure that between Gov't Mule, Gregg solo, Butch Trucks, Dicke Betts, and whatever other offshoots there are this music will always be played live. I've missed a few opportunities to see tham at the Hardrock unfortunately. I wouldn't be surprised if they do some one-off reunion gigs in the future. And of course the shows would be at The Beacon.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I was lucky enough to see the Allmans do a three night run in Boston five years ago and show a year before in New York. That was definitely one of the best musical experiences of my life. I loved every moment. Clearly, Warren and Derek shone at those shows but the rest of the band were on fire too. Gregg has some of the best vocals of any rock band anywhere.

I'm actual in denial this is the end. I would have liked to see them again and should have found a way to see their last run. Four hours of the Allmans would have felt like minutes. Time to pull out the five CD box set of the Fillmore this weekend.

This is definitely the end of an era.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 11-01-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Somehow I just can't see Gregg letting this be the end. Sad that it very well could be though. Thanks for posting this.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Somehow I just can't see Gregg letting this be the end. Sad that it very well could be though. Thanks for posting this.
    I'd definitely be interested in an Allmans reformed.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 11-01-2014 at 04:06 PM.

Banned
    I saw the Allman Bros at the Newport Folk festival a few years ago, but never got to see these legendary Beacon shows. I'd like to see Greg, Derek, Butch reunite on the next Clapton Crossroads stage with Clapton doing Allman songs with an All star cast of other musicans. The Derek and Clapton Derek and the Dominoes songs were awesome.

I'm thankful they've released some DVDs of their shows. I once had the opportunity to see them at the Georgia Jam at Atlanta Stadium. Got to hear Grinderswitch, Marshall Tucker Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd. When it started pouring rain, I left without seeing the Allman Brothers. I heard that show was very poor because both Dickie and Greg were absolutely wasted.
    I still regret never seeing them live.

I have seen them several times from 1973 onward - amazing live band. Would have loved to witness Duane with the boys . . .

My older high school friend saw them at the Psychedelic Supermarket (Boston) in the late 60's - they warmed up the Velvet Underground. The Muscle Shoals documentary on Netflix has some clips of early works IIRC too - - -